WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I had this exact concern when I started my thru this year. I was 5'9", ~145lbs. I've always been scrawny, definitely the "ectomorph" body type. Keeping weight on was a constant struggle on the trail. At my worst, I dropped to ~124 lbs and was definitely feeling the effects. I was sluggish, out of energy even on easier terrain. The heat of a Virginia summer (I did a flip flop) didn't help either. I went through a couple cycles of getting onto a scale at a hostel (no telling of course how accurate they were), seeing a terrifyingly low weight, panicking, drastically upping my food intake on trail (my trail family was great at nagging my to eat constantly). Over time, I'd slip back to my usual eating habits, losing weight until I reached the next bathroom scale. You do get sick of eating constantly - it becomes a real chore. I did try to "bulk up" before the hike, but honestly I think that just made me work harder in the beginning. I got thru by being obsessive about the caloric intake. I was very much nutrition-clueless when I started (and still am not that savvy). For a long time, I was eating the wrong things (not enough calories or no fat etc etc) and not frequently enough (e.g., 2 packs of instant oatmeal is not enough to get you through to lunch). By the end, I was eating "by the numbers", shopping based on the nutrition information more than anything else. No real revelations on food choices -- the usual thru hiker staples are well-established (honey buns, fruit pies, oreos, rice sides, olive oil, gatorade). But I had to force myself to eat way more frequently than I wanted to. I did start hitting towns more frequently when my weight started getting dangerously low which is a pricey approach but helped. I even changed my diet in town (e.g., I'm not an ice cream lover, but forced myself to eat at least a pint a day in town). I ended up stabilizing my weight in the mid 120's and completing my thru, but by the end it had turned into a race against time. So all of that is to say: It can be done, but keeping your weight up is a real task you'll have above and beyond what most people deal with on trail. It's a full-time job. Read up on nutrition, start looking at common backpacking foods (remember, there's more to life than the number of calories -- look at fat & carbs too, e.g.) Learn to love olive oil on everything. Save up some extra money since you'll be buying more food than most.
    LT '15, AT '16

Images

+1 Bang on brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    So, AtTrailDreamer, assuming your analysis is correct, you see no issue for a 6'1" 145 male losing 15.5 lbs lbs PER MONTH(3.89 lbs/wk) over 4-6 months losing it largely in muscle mass? Should the OP take that wt losing and "regaining it" scenario as a given as if it's a viable healthy valid body wt approach? .

Even if the OP loses 4 lbs per month at the end of a 5 month AT thru-hike that leaves a 6'1" 145 starting wt male at a VERY UNHEALTHY UNDER WEIGHT LIKELY ENERGY ROLLER COASTING QUICK TO FATIGUE emaciated looking 6'1" male at 125 lbs. SORRY, that is not a healthy individual. That's a person that has withered away. The OP is asking how not to let that happen.
    It has been a few years since I wrote the article. The example I posted was just a mathematical analysis of a continuing calorie deficit. I never meant to suggest that a hiker continue on to emaciation. Since then, I have done a lot of reading and research on diet and nutritional requirements.

The standard America diet (SAD) now includes a high percentage of processed foods, harmful fats, sugar and starches, and a dearth of micro-nutrients, that have had a detrimental effect on our physical condition. As long as we are not engaged in activities that require a sustained, high expenditure of energy, (eg.- long-distance hiking), we can continue a course of improper eating.

Once an individual has been on the trail for an extended period of time, the body starts rapidly adjusting to the physical and energy requirements of the hiker. The muscles are starting to grow stronger and larger and the energy needed to power them on the hike is also ramping up.

The typical SAD food that once satisfied, however imperfectly, the nutritional requirements and cravings of the body are now being displaced by signals from the body, whether they are consciously perceived by the hiker, or not, for a better grade of food to burn as metabolic fuel.

Consider the number of posts on this, and other forums, that relate how quickly appetites change on the trail. How the food stops at restaurants and markets usually involve higher-quality, protein and good-fat containing foods, along with fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in the micro-nutrients needed by the body, and how much prepackaged food supplies are abandoned or given away. Is this food fatigue, or a response to the body sending signals that it needs better fuel(food)?

I suspect that the hikers who maintain a fairly constant weight on a long-distance hike have been eating, before the hike, a diet that contains the high-quality foods that the body needs to sustain the energy output needed for maintaining and building.

Perhaps in addition to doing a series of shakedown hikes to test equipment, etc., a hiker should adjust their diet and start consuming foods that will contribute to muscle-building and provide sufficient high-quality fuel for a hiker's metabolism prior to starting the hike?

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

For perspective, I'm 6' flat and started my AT thru hike at about 145. I did slowly lose weight for about the first half of my hike, dropping to 135 at my lowest *confirmed* weight. When I checked at the end of my thru, I was back up to 145. I suspect that there was lots of fluctuation in between. Though I'm pretty slim, I feel confident that I was NOT burning muscle. I hiked with (past, actually) a few people at various points who WERE burning muscle. You could tell by their smell (it is a particular odor, obviously we all reek) and general lack of energy.

Like Dogwood said, good for you for thinking of this and preparing for it well beforehand. More than "bulking up" or trying to store extra fat before your hike, I would suggest increasing your calorie intake generally while focusing on a diet that gives you a good balance of protein, fat, and vitamins. Having good general health before starting is going to get you a long way, rather than forcing your body into extremes that it may not be able to handle.

And remember, never let yourself get too far away from your best friend Little Debbie!!
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lumberjaime View Post
    For perspective, I'm 6' flat and started my AT thru hike at about 145. I did slowly lose weight for about the first half of my hike, dropping to 135 at my lowest *confirmed* weight. When I checked at the end of my thru, I was back up to 145....
    Coming into Hiawassee 135 pounds, after the Daniel's AYCE buffet, 145 pounds...

Seriously, it's pretty much impossible to carry enough food on the trail, especially if you are doing big miles and want to eat something besides fat and processed sugar. You have to make the effort to get those extra calories in town and that is made easier if you remember it's often easier to drink lots of calories than it is to eat them.

There are 710 calories in a Whopper with cheese, but the large Chocolate Ice Cream Shake has 950 calories.

A Boost VHC (very high calorie) provides 530 calories in an 8oz serving, and the Ensure Plus has 350 calories in 8oz.

A large orange juice has about 280 calories.

One of my favorites, a 12oz Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA has 294 calories...

Just by grabbing those high-calorie drink options as you eat your way through town days, you can seriously increase your intake. This approach also has the added benefit of allowing for healthier food choices while still keeping calorie intake high.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by sydneywaffa View Post
    I've read the average male thru hiker loses 10-30lbs. I'm 6'1" and 145lbs. I'm worried doing this will make me lose a lot more weight than I have to lose (I'm already a spooky scary skeleton). Anyone know if i should be trying to bulk before the trip or should I just not worry about it and hike on?
    Before I hiked in 2013, I asked a former successful thru-hiker for the best piece of advice he could give me to prepare for my hike. His reply was, "Gain weight." I was 62 years-old and weighed 180 at 6'0" before I started. When I finished I weighed 158 even though I ate a large number of meals in restaurants. I would strongly recommend that you try to gain some weight before you depart.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    ...The standard America diet (SAD) now includes a high percentage of processed foods, harmful fats, sugar and starches, and a dearth of micro-nutrients, that have had a detrimental effect on our physical condition.

These same patterns of mainstream large scale SAD eating carry over to trail consumption norms particularly for AT thru-hikers who tend significantly to be less or non experienced LD hikers.

...Once an individual has been on the trail for an extended period of time, the body starts rapidly adjusting to the physical and energy requirements of the hiker. The muscles are starting to grow stronger and larger and the energy needed to power them on the hike is also ramping up.

It's not so much muscles become larger is the norm. It's more accurate to say people become leaner is the norm. It's evidenced by those that hike ALOT- Swami, Nimblewill Nomad, The Skurk, JPD, Anish, etc. They are not bulky folks. They may indeed have a stronger more muscular lower half but they aren't typically hugely muscle massed overall developed such as a "body builder."

...Consider the number of posts on this, and other forums, that relate how quickly appetites change on the trail. How the food stops at restaurants and markets usually involve higher-quality, protein and good-fat containing foods, along with fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in the micro-nutrients needed by the body, and how much prepackaged food supplies are abandoned or given away. Is this food fatigue, or a response to the body sending signals that it needs better fuel(food)?

Sure, appetites change once thru-hiking. After all, how many people are burning 4000-7000 cals per day and exercise similarly as a backpacker/hiker averaging 15+ mpd over sustained 8-16 hr durations? Most people off trail are not exhibiting this level of calorie burning or excising to this degree of physical, emotional, and mental effort.

Again , the same questionable common food opting patterns of U.S. citizens that tend to reach for prepackaged highly processed often nutritional dismal food like products and largely problematic fast foods promoted en masse by the food industry during off trail lifestyles occur once in town. I'd say the food norms are largely different than you portray for the in town or convenience store resupplying AT thru-hiker. Although thru-hiker in town food selections vary the food opted for norms tend toward those craving milk shakes, mega cheeseburgers, frozen prepackaged trans fat loaded burritos, greasy french fries, bar food(often fried), deli subs globbed with fat mayo and asst mega processed deli products, pizza?/frozen is fine for most, pepperoni and sausage being the most common, AYCE buffets of oily/fried/low quality food, ice cream(not even real ice cream made with non artificial ingredients), chips/cheese doodles/fried pork skins/bagged junk food of all manner, nutritionally dismal so called "nutrition bars", candy, and the typical U.S. b'fast of eggs, denatured flour biscuits, southern gravy - bacon grease and empty calorie flour, margarine -real butter if you're fortunate, cheese - often the cheapest available, cured nitrate containing bacon, sausage(scary what's commonly put into sausage, the butcher's dream way of making a profit on what's typically waste), vegetable oils, copious amounts of java w/ more sugar and possibly dairy, and/or maybe some highly sugary reconstituted concentrated fruit drink..a diet largely addicted to whatever the food industry puts in it's food like prepackaged highly processed products.

Sure, I've seen some order large salads of greens and produce with maybe some cheese, tuna, or roasted chicken over the top with EVOO and vinegar dressing but that's not the norm, at least not on the AT from AT thru-hikers.

So, for AT thru-hikers heading out of town to display lethargic physical and mental effort it's not just the added consumable wt or the emotion involved in heading away from perceived creature comforts it can also be the shock to the system of suddenly gorging on mega calories often mega empty calories possibly(likely?) heading back to the trail carrying inside them undigested unassimilated food in their digestive systems. This approach is even heralded as good as if it doesn't have negative consequences. Eat all the calories and junk food you want is often the mantra as if it has no affect on performance, emotional and mental well being. This occurs at a time of often decreased physical output and caloric needs too during in town stays.

I lost about 50 pounds over 5 months hiking 850 miles. 35 pounds of that was in the first 30 days. I recently did a 60 mile trip over 5 days and lost 5 pounds. I tend to not be hungry the first few days of a trip and eat very little as a result.

What I did find on my long hike was that while I didn't get hungry, I did get very tired. It took me awhile to figure it out, but once I did my weight stabilized and I stopped losing. When I started to run out of gas and get sluggish, I'd stop and eat something. So pay attention to your energy level. Eat more than just 3 meals a day. There were times when I was eating 10 times a day. Take advantage of town stops to beef up your calories. Eat lots of protein (50+ grams a day) and lots of fat.

*correction...50 pounds over 4 months.

What was your starting wt? 35 lbs in 30 days wow 1lb+/day. wonder if you were holding some significant water wt? Have you kept it off?

I started at about 220 and was 167 when I got to Waynesboro. I weighed myself at Mountain Mama's when I came out of the smokies and I weighed 185.

I made the mistake of going out and buying new clothes when I got off the trail and within 2 months they didn't fit. I gained back about 20 pounds and stayed between 180 and 190 for the next 3 years or so...then I got a job behind a desk and have fluctuated between 225 and 250 for the last several years.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I started at about 220 and was 167 when I got to Waynesboro. I weighed myself at Mountain Mama's when I came out of the smokies and I weighed 185.

I made the mistake of going out and buying new clothes when I got off the trail and within 2 months they didn't fit. I gained back about 20 pounds and stayed between 180 and 190 for the next 3 years or so...then I got a job behind a desk and have fluctuated between 225 and 250 for the last several years.
    I was reliably between 180 and 195 since I graduated from high school. Prior to retiring in September, I spent the last year of my career behind a desk...I was 214 pounds when I retired, even though I managed to get a run in 3-4 times a week. Since September I'm back down around 195 again and still losing weight, all because I'm now free to work on that long ignored honey-do list.

We aren't meant to be stationary for most of the day, it kills us slowly...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

GAME 06

A lot of interesting responses above.

Another aspect of this subject is what I call the 'efficiency' effect. What I mean here is that as you progress up a long trail you get into really good condition. This type of conditioning results in a much more efficient physical machine and that machine does not burn calories in quite the same way as it did when you were sitting at home or just starting the trail. Even if you train a fair amount (which most do not even attempt to do) you do not arrive at the trail in anything like the shape or strength you will have after 500-1000 miles - excepting folks like Anish in this statement.

One burns more calories per mile in the beginning just because they are often carrying a lot more weight than they will be later. Obviously. But as we all know folks who are, or turn themselves for a time, into a pretty serious athlete become a lot more efficient in their activity and thus do not require the same calories as they consumed before reaching that level. And different bodies react differently to the kind of stress entailed in long distance hiking. Endurance compared to power. Naturally skinny people will have a weight they tend to stabilize at and reach it pretty quickly. People with a lot of body mass will spend a lot of time burning off the fat and then burning off the mass of muscles which have no use in hiking - upper bodies just melt away, but they too will eventually stabilize.

And some are genetically gifted. If you look at the general calorie consumption numbers given earlier and then think about what Anish is doing it is clear she does not burn calories like the rest of us. If she did she would die of wasting away as for her you would end up with calorie requirements in excess of 10,000 a day and there is no chance of her carrying and eating that amount of food.

When I hike, no matter what weight I start at, within just a week or two I settle in at about 160 lbs. When I was much younger than I am now and was putting out efforts like we do when we are putting in 20+ miles a day I really needed about 4500 calories a day to maintain weight. Now that I am in my 60's I can still cover the same daily mileage and my weight still goes right back to that 160 or so, but the calories I need to maintain it now are significantly less - more like high 3000's to 4000 a day.

I agree with this idea of when one hits town they cannot fix what is wrong with the hiking diet in a day. I don't even consider eating a salad when in town - except what is in my hamburger. It is chicken fried steak, eggs, biscuits and gravy, milk or pizza or burgers and fries, and pasta or more burgers and fries and sometimes ice cream. When I leave town I often have a couple of breakfast burritos wrapped up in the pack or a pizza or a sack full of egg mcmuffins. When you are hiking like we do you need LOTS of fat in your diet, less protein than most think, and the rest carbs. I always carry a bag of fritos and also carry summer sausage and cheese and tortillas. Lots of mixed nuts, energy bars (not many candy bars though), granola bars, dried fruit, pop tarts, peanut butter m&m's. I don't cook on the trail. I only carry ramen if it is a really long food haul and I have to keep the weight down - and yes I hydrate it cold and eat it that way. Some times I carry the instant potato packs. I find I do better on energy during the day if I eat something very frequently - never more than 2 hours is best and have a good sized meal mid-day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++