Recently saw discussion about how driverless cars are moving forward. Not sure exactly when they will be ready, but people were discussing how great this would be.

Then this week I have been doing day hikes on the Mason Dixon trail. Twice I was able to get my wife to drop me off a spot after first leaving my vehicle 10-12 miles down the road. But the other days I have been having to do short hikes 5-6 miles and then retrace my path (or take a shortcut) back to my vehicle. I could have gotten much more of the trail done if there were driverless cars to keep track of me and come get me when I got tired. BTW I did consider a cab or uber and they wanted $30 for such a trip. Too much to spend when the main purpose was exercise and to complete more of the MDTS.

A driverless car would be very good for a trail like the Mason Dixon where there are so few legal camping sites.

It could also be helpful on the AT. Especially for section hikers, but even others who might carry a couple months of supplies in the trunk. Car could come to trailhead, you restock and car takes off to some parking in a nearby town until needed again.

I suspect this might change the whole trail experience a lot if you are not having to find ways into town etc. Not sure if that would translated into more days in town as it would be easy to get a ride, or less because you could resupply without going into town.

In either case, I think my hiking will need to get done the old fashioned way, but may some you younger people might be able to take advantage by the time you retire.