I was asked to share about my backpacking trips with some ladies the other day. I shared how I find it so healing, peaceful, and settling to unplug and live with just the basics for a few days at a time. They asked if I was ever afraid alone (sometimes, yes but that is just where you grow). I have known and looked up to some of these women most of my life. I never expected a few to ask if they could join me!

I'm in the planning stage for a trip in two weeks where two of these ladies will join me. I am planning two approaches and letting them choose what they feel the most comfortable with.

Option A:

Night one being Friday after I get off at 5-get to the trail head around 6pm (grab dinner on the way), walk to a campsite I know of about half a mile in, set up, sleep

Day one-get up and do easily cooked breakfast like oat meal and coffee, hike 5 miles over the course of the day, pass 4 waterfalls, leisurely lunch, get to camp around 3, swim in the river, build a fire, do a more elaborate campfire meal like steaks or campfire pizza and cheesecake, enjoy the fire and just being in the woods in general, maybe play a game of cards. If we get to the campsite that I have used previously on this route, the embankment over looks the river and I have laid on my belly to watch animals come and go at the river in the late evening (not sure we will see anything with the smells and all from cooking) but, it is a beautiful view.

Day two-cook a good campfire breakfast like burritos or pancakes, swim, or hike without our packs and explore. Start the 3 mile hike back to the car around noon.

Option A gives a lot of time to just enjoy the woods. I know from texts I am getting that their will not be any light weight packs on their first time out so less miles is probably good.

Option B:

Start at a different trail head and do a 14 mile loop so it would still only be 7 miles a day, do more traditional backpacking food, cover more miles, see two waterfalls, really pretty colored cliffs, beaver dams, and have an experience that is more "backpacking" by my mindset. This option gives them a more clear picture of what a lot of backpackers do and they will see more trail but, I feel like it could be unforgiving if they don't have their loads adjusted well, sleeping system comfy, and have too much weight in the pack.

I want to set these ladies up to enjoy being in the woods and I realize that they may spend one night outside and hate it but, I feel a responsibility to make sure they get a good basis for whatever opinion they end up having of the experience.