WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Base Weight

I would guess that after the Smokies, you will have enough time under your belt to pick through what you need and don't need. My base is around 18 pounds so you aren't that far off. You will figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Putting it into perspective, the newer weight for a bag of cement comes in at 55 pounds. Carrying that up and down a few hills will test anyone's knees and medical aid

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I would guess that after the Smokies, you will have enough time under your belt to pick through what you need and don't need. My base is around 18 pounds so you aren't that far off. You will figure it out.

I made some changes without sacrificing my safety and got my base down to 18.5 Lbs. With 2 liters of water at 4 Lbs., my meds and diabetic supplies at 1.5 Lbs., and 10 Lbs. of food for 5 days, that puts me at a total weight of 34 Lbs. I'm going to see if I can safely bring down my healthcare needs' weight a little by resupplying every thirty days rather than 90 days. I appreciate everybody's comments. They've helped me out a lot.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Journal Entries
    Images

Way back in 2013, when I thought I'd hike in 2015 (now it might not be 2018) I started a thread on Diabetic thru hiking logistics. Look it up it and its comments may be a help.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Some random thoughts about the weight and cost:

I'd suggest that if you're gearing up from scratch, you should start with a list like Mark Henley's one:

http://www.gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Ultracheap_Henley.pdf (dead link, replaced by one on Internet Archive)

and then decide where you feel you ought to go heavier or more expensive. I don't go quite as extreme as Henley, either in weight or in cost, but that's for two reasons: I'm a weekender and short-sectioner, so less worried about a little bit more weight, since I have time to recover in between hikes. And I'm not on as tight a budget, so I can afford in some cases gear that's a trifle less fussy. But when I read his list, I said to myself, "yeah, that'd work."

Don't carry any kind of heavy cooler for your meds until you've talked to a doc who's familiar with the issues. Most of the diabetic meds that say, "keep refrigerated" are actually good for at least a few weeks out of refrigeration. If you're on daily or twice-daily exenatide or liraglutide, for instance, see if you can get switched to albiglutide, or weekly-dosed exenatide. Both are good for 4 weeks at room temperature. Most varieties of insulin are good for a month as well (or your prescription can be replaced with one that is).

90-day resupply of meds sounds a little unrealistic. Even if you have to get 90-day prescriptions with your insurance, isn't there anyone that could box a few pen injectors for you and send you a mail drop?

Also, if the cost of prescription affects your budget, maybe you could get a sympathetic doc to switch you off of analogs onto something like a combination of generic regular human insulin and generic NPH. Both of those are much cheaper, and even available without a prescription in most states. If you could get onto that sort of regime, you could probably afford to supply your insulin at XYZ-Mart every month or so, and the price might be even less than your copay for the newer drugs. See http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2017...g-insulin.html
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Some random thoughts about the weight and cost:

I'd suggest that if you're gearing up from scratch, you should start with a list like Mark Henley's one:

http://www.gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Ultracheap_Henley.pdf (dead link, replaced by one on Internet Archive)

and then decide where you feel you ought to go heavier or more expensive. I don't go quite as extreme as Henley, either in weight or in cost, but that's for two reasons: I'm a weekender and short-sectioner, so less worried about a little bit more weight, since I have time to recover in between hikes. And I'm not on as tight a budget, so I can afford in some cases gear that's a trifle less fussy. But when I read his list, I said to myself, "yeah, that'd work."

Don't carry any kind of heavy cooler for your meds until you've talked to a doc who's familiar with the issues. Most of the diabetic meds that say, "keep refrigerated" are actually good for at least a few weeks out of refrigeration. If you're on daily or twice-daily exenatide or liraglutide, for instance, see if you can get switched to albiglutide, or weekly-dosed exenatide. Both are good for 4 weeks at room temperature. Most varieties of insulin are good for a month as well (or your prescription can be replaced with one that is).

90-day resupply of meds sounds a little unrealistic. Even if you have to get 90-day prescriptions with your insurance, isn't there anyone that could box a few pen injectors for you and send you a mail drop?

Also, if the cost of prescription affects your budget, maybe you could get a sympathetic doc to switch you off of analogs onto something like a combination of generic regular human insulin and generic NPH. Both of those are much cheaper, and even available without a prescription in most states. If you could get onto that sort of regime, you could probably afford to supply your insulin at XYZ-Mart every month or so, and the price might be even less than your copay for the newer drugs. See http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2017...g-insulin.html
    I take 1 shot of Lantus every morning. Lantus is good for a month once taken out of the fridge. Since my wife is a health care professional, we have really good insurance. The prescription program we have will do 90 day prescriptions with no problem. I just have to work a pharmacy into my resupply every month. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Honestly, I expect this hike to improve my health drastically - maybe to the point I can get off of some of the pills I take daily. We'll see. Thanks for the reply. And I will check out that fellows gear list.
    zig-zag man

My pharmacy has no problem partial filling med scripts and filling remaining amount at a later date. For expensive meds, I might get 5 days worth to make sure they don't cause problems rather than commit to a whole months worth. I use Walgreens, but I think this is fairly common with national chains. Talk with your pharmacist about it. Most trail towns have a chain pharmacy, easy to check online.

I think your trip and your pre thru conditioning will be great for your health. Wish more would take the plunge to commit to a healthy lifestyle. If you get Netflix you might want to watch some of the documentaries on nutrition and it's correlation to health. I just watched "what the health!" Which encourages an anti inflammatory diet, most just emphasize eating some variant of " real food, mostly plants and not too much." My caveman diet which has me feeling much better is basically no grains, no processed foods, lots of veg, some fruit, small amount quality meat and fish, organic when you can, wash everything . I have developed an obsession with coconut as a medium and the perfect coconut cookie. I like to cook, cause I really like to eat well You really are what you eat!

Best of luck, hope to see you on the trail.

Someone in the Reddit /Ultralight sub put together a pretty nice budget base weight list for under $500. It may not fit your hiking style, but it could give you ideas: https://lighterpack.com/r/776crf

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but the cards are seriously stacked against you. First, if you only have $3,500 and spend $2000 on gear, you only have $1500 left and you'll blow through that really quick. Realistically you need a minimum of $4,000 in your pocket when you hit the trail. If your a young kid, good at scrounging off of others and can hike 20-30 miles a day, then you can go cheap but for most people, you need a sizeable budget. Of course, that also assumes you have no other expenses to cover at home while your gone and your drugs are all paid for by someone else.

As an older hiker, with apparently a lot of medical issues (and overweight?) your not going to be hiking very far in a day. Because your moving so slowly, you'll have to carry that 5-8 days of food and still have to go to every town along the way to buy more. Diabetics don't seem to do well on extended hikes. It's very hard to manage your insulin and sugar levels.

With all those issues, you would be best to forget about a thru hike. Scale back your trip to something a bit more manageable like a 3-4 week section hike. Pick a time of year when you don't need a lot of cold weather stuff and a section which isn't too hard.
    Quoting this in its entirety because it's spot on. Your budget is not realistic for a six month thru hike, even when staying out of town. Get out for a long section hike and if all goes well, the trail will be there next year, and the year after, despite what the doom and gloomers say.

The trail isn't going to fix your medical issues. You may think it will, but it won't. You mentioned hoping the hike would get you off medications. What is stopping you from achieving that now? You have 7-8 months before you start, get off the couch and make an effort. Why start such a huge endeavor out of shape with health issues when you can start 30 pounds lighter and with fewer meds? There's a mental aspect in play that needs addressed before you get on the trail or else it's going to be there when you get off.

I know...I sound like a real d*!khead but I promise I'm not trying to be. Sprinkled between your questions about gear are underlying health issues that can be addressed now rather than on the trail. Get yourself in a training program, use the thru hike as motivation for getting fit, and ask your doctor what you have to do to reduce your meds before you get on the trail. Then follow that advice.

In the time being, get your gear and get out and backpack for 2 day trips. Your medical issues add an extra layer of planning and short overnight trips can help you understand what role and changes your meds will have.

Or you can completely ignore this post and do your own thing. Either way, good luck.

I feel sure there are other base weight discussions on here. I recall reading that the Outfitters at Neels Gap each year sends home for people about two tons of gear they wish to change for lighter.
    Shake down hikes with the your gear are good, then put the gear into three piles- 1. Essential,used on hike+ first aid, meds) 2. Might
    wants; 3 Nice to have; for your hike get rid of piles 2 and 3.

Buy light or buy twice. I have done quite a bit of buying twice.
    Good luck you will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Quoting this in its entirety because it's spot on. Your budget is not realistic for a six month thru hike, even when staying out of town. Get out for a long section hike and if all goes well, the trail will be there next year, and the year after, despite what the doom and gloomers say.

The trail isn't going to fix your medical issues. You may think it will, but it won't. You mentioned hoping the hike would get you off medications. What is stopping you from achieving that now? You have 7-8 months before you start, get off the couch and make an effort. Why start such a huge endeavor out of shape with health issues when you can start 30 pounds lighter and with fewer meds? There's a mental aspect in play that needs addressed before you get on the trail or else it's going to be there when you get off.

I know...I sound like a real d*!khead but I promise I'm not trying to be. Sprinkled between your questions about gear are underlying health issues that can be addressed now rather than on the trail. Get yourself in a training program, use the thru hike as motivation for getting fit, and ask your doctor what you have to do to reduce your meds before you get on the trail. Then follow that advice.

In the time being, get your gear and get out and backpack for 2 day trips. Your medical issues add an extra layer of planning and short overnight trips can help you understand what role and changes your meds will have.

Or you can completely ignore this post and do your own thing. Either way, good luck.
    I appreciate the candid responses. Assuming I trash my plans to do a thru-hike next year and, instead, opt to do shorter hikes, I'm still going to need the same gear items. All I have is a Coleman sleeping bag that I've had for 30-some years or more. Weighs a ton. As for my health issues, they are what they are. But instead of taking 10 pills for breakfast every morning, maybe I could reduce it to 9, or 8 - that would be an accomplishment. I'll still likely be diabetic. I'll still have heart disease. But the high blood pressure could subside and the cholesterol could improve. Believe me, I'm not looking at the thru as a fountain of youth, but rather comfort food for the soul.
    zig-zag man

Quote Originally Posted by Fullabull View Post
    Believe me, I'm not looking at the thru as a fountain of youth, but rather comfort food for the soul.
    You can find that on weekend hikes near you. The AT isn't that far away. I used to live in Bryn Mawr and hiked sections every weekend. My humble advice is to reduce as many medications the right way before trying a Thru hike, and plan a 1 month hike first.

You will certainly lose weight which often "cures" Type II diabetes.

It's always a thru hike attempt, until it isn't anymore. Get the gear, make the attempt. If you don't finish, no big deal, you're then a section hiker. Can always hike til your money runs out, just save enough to get back home from any point on the trail. Be realistic about how much it will cost to shuttle you to the nearest bus station, it may not be cheap.

As part of your pre-hike planning, start walking more. Don't rush it, don't hurt yourself getting into shape. Even if it's walking around your flat neighborhood every morning, it's a start. You can break in your shoes. Learn what clothes wick away moisture and are comfortable. Find a local hill and walk a quarter of the way up, then half way up, then to the top. Reward yourself with a bit of shiny new gear when you reach the top of your local hill. Grab a ten pound weight and simulate putting on a pack. There are a lot of tiny things you can do in the comfort of your home.

Don't test out the calorie dense trail food however. I made that mistake and gained weight right before my hike. Oops.

I am not a doctor. Work with your doctor to make it work for you.

If this is redundant, it should be said again. In every discussion of Base Weight.
    The least expensive way and the healthiest way to reduce your on trail weight is to
    LOOSE WEIGHT FROM YOU!
    It can be done.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If this is redundant, it should be said again. In every discussion of Base Weight.
    The least expensive way and the healthiest way to reduce your on trail weight is to
    LOOSE WEIGHT FROM YOU!
    It can be done.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

I am 5'11" tall and I weigh 175 pounds. My doctor is very good with that.
    zig-zag man

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    LOOSE WEIGHT FROM YOU!
    Not everyone with metabolic syndrome (type II diabetes, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, insulin resistance) is overweight or unfit. Being fit and trim can help postpone the inevitable, but metabolic syndrome seems to fall partly in the category of "if you live long enough...."

That said, I certainly need to pay attention to the From-Skin-In base weight. (I never have a weight problem when I can hike regularly, and always struggle with it when I can't.) My blood work numbers usually run pretty good, though, I seem to have done pretty well in the genetic lottery on that particular score. It's surely none of my doing.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Damn I wish I had stayed at a Holiday INN Express last night and could provide some irrelevant medical advice. Instead, HYOH and enjoy the journey.

Good luck, God's speed and enjoy your inner soul experience.

I haven't read the whole thread but looking at the gear list a few things jump out at me price wise. The z seat can be found all day long for around a buck if you look at aliexpress.com for the knockoff. The neo air pump can be replaced with a plastic trash bag. See YouTube for the how. And arrowhead equipment sells a bear bagging kit too might be cheaper not real sure. But you could always get some zing-it or lash-it from dutchwaregear.com and use a bag you make/already have.

Not wanting to go into towns often to save time may not be the best approach. I have been section hiking now for about 3 years; I started when I was 43 and just turned 46. My second section was Springer to Dicks Creek Gap, and at Springer's scale, the pack was 43 lbs starting out for a week. My last trip, it was 27 lbs starting out for the week. How much weight a person carries makes a huge difference in the likelihood of whether they will injure themselves, how far they can travel each day, and ultimately (for a thru-hike attempt) the able to complete a thru-hike.

Food often weighs 2 lbs per day, so carrying just 3 extra days of food adds about 6 lbs to your pack weight. With a pack that weighs 6 lbs less, you may be able to do 20 mile days rather than 15 mile days (after you get your hiking legs) .
    Rather than worry about the extra time you'll lose going into town, focus on carrying as little weight as possible. As someone once said: If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++