In 2016 I hiked from Springer to Lake Greenwood, NY (trail name Raiden), where Lyme disease knocked me off trail. I treated it early with antibiotics b/c I was lucky enough to get an obvious bull's eye rash on my hip.

BUT that's not what foiled my thru-hike!

I wore Altra Lone Peaks, the whole way, which I LOVED (along with the whole thru-hiking world). But after being off trail for treatment for a few days, my feet were just RIDICULOUSLY sore. Just that general, all-over-the-bottom-of-my-feet pain which we're all familiar with. It just got REALLY bad. Combined with my weakened immune system and energy levels, it made me quit.

I wore no 3rd party insoles, just what came with Lone Peaks, and no rock guard. Of course, Superfeet are Superpopular also, but I thought they defeated the purpose of the super light and flexible Altras. My base weight was around 11 or 12 pounds with the OHM 2.0, so that was all good.

MY QUESTION TO YOU FINE BACKPACKERS IS: Should I go with the thicker soled Olympus (I love the Altra structure and zero drop)? Or should I just stick a hard green plate in my Lone Peaks... or just shut up and not hike and be depressed?