As a retired paramedic, and one who has been hauled into court for acting against a patient's wishes, and acting in their best interest (the court eventually agreed with us), I have to ask. At what point do you draw the line. If I, or the police, took it upon ourselves to deny a person's free choice, and restrain them when they choose to do something foolish, we would never be out of court.

To lay this, on the police's feet, when the family did nothing to stop the person from going out and hiking 2000 plus miles, knowing that he would be facing danger and be required to make critical decisions, is entirely unfair. The family knew of his background and potential tendencies, the police did not. Do you know how many people the police encounter who, on the surface, appear to be making irrational decisions. They are not babysitters, or medical personnel who are responsible for monitoring and ultimately determining a person's mental status, particularly without he benefit of history.

It is NOT something I would want, and not something I accept, having big brother feeling responsible for my decisions.