Wanting to get back to GSM for a winter backpack adventure. I don't have any friends to join me on overnights. Is there anyone interested in teaming up for two 3 to 5 night backback loops in GSM around Christmas break? I live 6 hours away in South AL. Newbies welcome as long as you can hike 8 miles per day. I'm happy with 8-12 per day and have plenty of gear (including extra zero degree bag) to loan as well. I've been trying to hike a couple new trails each trip.

I have not hiked any trails west of Cades Cove so would want to plan a loop from Abrams Creek. I also want to hike a long wandering loop west and up stream away from Lakeview Drive but I'm not to sure about what trails (Noland, Fourney, and Hazel Creeks) can be forded in winter in that area. If some one, or two, wants to join me, I'll adjust my distances to suit you if you can't stay out 5 nights. Right now I'm aiming to drive up Dec 26 and finish up Jan 4, but I'm flexible on that. I may not go up top to the AT at all, which should mean a few degrees warmer and less ice, but if a companion wants to hike part of the AT, I'll adjust to do that as well. As long as we stay in backcountry campsites instead of shelters on the AT, I bet I won't see 10 other people in 10 days. I'll wait till last day or two at home to make reservations since the place will not be crowded. Cost is $4 per person per night; max $20 per 7 night trip.

Edwin