The other day one of my neighbors, who is always quite puzzled by this hiking thing I do, asked me how cold is too cold?

Of course there are too many variables to count, and so we talked about that for a bit. Is it sunny, blue skies, and no wind? I have had the time of my life on days like that with temps far below zero. Or is it cloudy, raining/sleeting/snowing, and blowing? I told her that I have been *very* uncomfortable and close to hypothermic in high 60-degree temps.* I also told her that anything over 75 is too hot, and that I do much less hiking in the summer.

It was a fun and good conversation that eventually included half a dozen other interested friends. We talked about gear and and practice and Know Before You Go....*

In general though, I said I can be comfortable and have fun day-hiking in pretty low temperatures, but that multi-day trips in those temps is a whole 'nother kind of beast. I can deal with nights in the [high] single digits, but haven't done more than two nights at a time; I think more than 3-4 days would be the limit of fun for me. Tipi Walter I am not!

So just for the sake of conversation, what kind of temperatures and conditions are absolute No-Go's for you? Add whatever variables may apply!