WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SOBO attempt advice needed.

Hello guys and gals, I知 hoping to start a SOBO thru hike attempt towards end of July this year. As I知 preparing I want to tap into the wealth of knowledge available here.

I知 hoping to start with a 40 degree sleep system, based on what I致e seen of average weather reports I should be good with this for awhile however I have never been to Maine and don稚 want to start off on the wrong foot. For anyone with experience in Maine at this time of year would you be okay with being comfort rated at 40 degrees and make it through the night at ~30?

I have also heard that you need to be south of the whites by October, I don稚 think that should be a problem for me however just so I know what I知 getting into can anyone explain to me exactly why you should be south of the whites by October?

I also understand that GSMNP is probably where I知 going to hit the worst weather and coldest temps. I知 thinking I値l probably pass through there sometime in November or December. Can anyone give me an idea if I should plan to acquire special equipment such as spikes or an ice ax if I am hiking GSMNP at this time?

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice for me for this trip I知 happy to hear them!

Thank you all in advance for your time
    Last edited by Ginger.Snap; 06-16-2019 at 14:41.

++ New Posts ++