Hi all, Not new here, but this is my first post. I've taken the advice from many and have gathered most of the gear I'll need for backpacking.

Over the years I've done quite a bit of backpacking, albeit many years ago. I'll turn 70 in a few weeks and I want to get back into it. 40 years ago I backpacked a section of the AT, did the Pictured Rocks trail in Michigan's UP a number of times, and did the trail along Superior in the Porcupine Mountains.

I've also extensively motorcycle camped to Alaska, Saguenay Fjord and and Newfoundland. Also, I've spent many years sea kayak camping in Michigan, Canada and Greece.

All that being said, my backpacking experience was with a 60 lb. load with an exterior frame backpack. When starting to put my gear together, I was pleasantly surprised at the light weights I was seeing in the modern backpacking world.

I also have a couple of physical limitations to deal with -- knee (torn meniscus) and back operations.

Here is my list of gear I've accumulated. I plan on doing no more than 4 days at a time next summer.

Gear I Have
Sleeping Bag Nemo Salsa 2.1 lbs.
Sleeping Pad Nemo Astro 1.0
Tent Nemo Dragonfly 2p 2.5
Med Kit BC Edge 0.2
Cook Kit Optimus Solo 0.4
Chair Trekology 2.0
Toiletries 0.5
Headlamp Black Diamond 0.2
Clothes 2.3

Gear to be Aquired
Rain Gear Packa 0.7
Hydration Platypus 3 ltr. 0.1

Total Weight minus pack 12 lbs.

My question is, which packs should I be looking at for my backpacking adventures. I'm looking at 4 day trips right now, but I'm not ruling out longer trips in the future.

I'm planning on spending an entire day at REI trying out different packs. I'll have a dividend amount that should cover the pack at REI, so I'm planning on buying from them.

The packs I'm considering right now are the Osprey Kestrel 48 (tried on and really liked), Osprey Atmos(tried on and didn't like -- but may be different with a load) and 65, Osprey Aether 60, Gregory Zulu 55 and 65 and the Deuter Futura Vario 50 + 10. I'd like to keep my choice under 4 lbs. I know the Deuter is more than that, but it comes so highly rated that I think I should consider it.

I'd like a pack with both top and panel loading. I really don't like packing and repacking and I think some kind of access to the main part of the pack would help in that regard. Comfort is also really important and is why I'm not thinking about ultra light packs.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I know there are many other packs out there. I may also be missing the point on other items I've listed. I also have thick skin, so all comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

KorKoro