There has been a bit of discussion on many social media platforms whether a thru hike today is selfish. Selfish is defined as "lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure". So by this definition I admit that I was selfish when I did my AT thru hike. After all, I left behind my wife, alone, to deal with selling our old house, maintaining our new house (paying bills, mowing the lawn), and providing logistical support to me on my hike. Not much in it for her. The hike was all about me. That is probably why every time I plan a hike or trail maintenance trip I feel a pang of guilt.

Today the covid 19 virus adds a new complexity to the angst of a thru or long distance hike. Not only are many leaving behind loved ones, family, and jobs to pursue a seemingly selfish endeavor, their actions have the potential to have a ripple effect on the broader community. I know how tough it is to postpone a hike that one has planned for months or years. I don't know how tough it would be to leave the trail because of some external issue. Most of us have a choice. I have family members who are not that lucky. One is a barber who has twins on the way. He had no choice or warning last Monday when the governor ordered all barbershops closed. I have another who is a cook with two children under two years of age. Restaurants closed so he has no job. Not his choice.

I can see where some hikers on the trail today and many who are planning a hike do not have the awareness of the seriousness of this pandemic. After all, for months our government and some media outlets have down played the extent of the virus. Making jokes and even calling it a hoax. Life is changing daily. A couple of weeks ago the coronavirus meant no toilet paper and hand sanitizer on stores shelves. Schools closed. Then spring training, opening day, March Madness all cancelled. Next the restaurants and bars closed. Now it is starting to get serious. In California they are requesting everyone stay at home. At the end of the day, postponing a walk in the woods is trivial compared to the sacrifices many have been asked to make.