Dear Hiking community, it hurts my heart to give this update. My dear friend Hikerhead passed away yesterday. He passed away peacefully at Roanoke Memorial hospital where he has been since Aug 15th. He had suffered 3 brain aneurysms over that time. Due to the Covid environment, the family will hold a graveside memorial for the immediate family only. He will be buried at Cedar Lawn Cemetery in Roanoke, VA.
Cards can be sent to his mother Rachael Hoke, 1008 Starmount Ave, Roanoke, VA 24019. Those of you who knew Don personally knew of his love for the AT and the community. I always say he taught me 99.9% of what I know about backpacking. During the 4 years I lived in Roanoke, he and I had many adventures. A hike with Don was not just a hike, it was a history lesson. He spent his entire life in Roanoke, and knew that part of VA like the back of his hand. Hiking with him was like having your own personal history teacher for the day. He also had a great sense of humor which many of you know. He and I spent many hours hanging out at The Corned Beef in Roanoke, drinking beer and telling stories....(most of them were true....). If you ever visit there, you can have a beer in his honor. He lived life with zest and truly embodied an adventurous soul. I will plan a memorial hike in Roanoke later this fall and will update this group if anyone would like to join. In the meantime, please pray for his family and keep adventure in your heart. RIP Hikerhead; you were a helluva friend and will be missed dearly.