I'm sitting here ruminating before our weekly hike about weather changes, gear and generally rethinking some of my cold weather gear. We hike year-round in the PNW and this time of year is dark, wet, and cold. We shift our hikes to low elevation (not yet...still not enough snow for avalanche hazard) and the devices we own for snow/ice travel get taken out and reevaluated.

Hands are the topic of the week here. I use latex disposable gloves on the way up the mountain and in the rain. My wife, whose hands are always cold, has stuck with fleece, which she wears even when they are wet. Neither of these are great solutions. My hands are fine when I'm climbing and exerting, cold on the way down the mountain. They are great for dexterity but I get the wrinkled dishwasher's hands during every hike. They are cheap...... and they really do work great at keeping my hands the RIGHT temp during heavy exertion.

I've read of Andrew Surka's writeup on the Showa 262 and took the plunge and ordered a pair last night. I had a moment of weakness and bought a new REI pack, some trash compactor bag liners and some socks. A real splurge for me.

Anyway.....I'd be interested to hear what others are using for their hands. I have the rest of my kit worked out to my general satisfaction but my hands are something that I've always felt the need to tweak my approach.

https://andrewskurka.com/review-show...et-conditions/