WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey no worries, thanks for looking into it. I’m hoping to avoid crowds so I’ll take the lack of info on the apps as a positive. I’m flying into Denver in a few days with my wife and then driving to Crested Butte to stay with a friend of ours for the week. We plan to do a day hike over to Aspen through Maroon Bells as a group but then I’ll go off by myself for some time in West Elk. I’m planning to spend 3 full days/2 nights but could tack on another night if needed. I will have a Garmin to communicate with my wife for pickup but thanks for the note on cell service.

The fact that I could find very little information on West Elk, seems like I won’t encounter many people. That, combined with its massive size (200 miles of trail), is what drove me to decide to take my BP trip there instead of Maroon-Bells/Snowmass or the Raggeds.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Hey no worries, thanks for looking into it. I知 hoping to avoid crowds so I値l take the lack of info on the apps as a positive. I知 flying into Denver in a few days with my wife and then driving to Crested Butte to stay with a friend of ours for the week. We plan to do a day hike over to Aspen through Maroon Bells as a group but then I値l go off by myself for some time in West Elk. I知 planning to spend 3 full days/2 nights but could tack on another night if needed. I will have a Garmin to communicate with my wife for pickup but thanks for the note on cell service.

The fact that I could find very little information on West Elk, seems like I won稚 encounter many people. That, combined with its massive size (200 miles of trail), is what drove me to decide to take my BP trip there instead of Maroon-Bells/Snowmass or the Raggeds.
    Yep, when I did a little research this morning, I read in a couple places that the West Elk wilderness was the LEAST visited wilderness in the state. I'm going to make it a point to get into there next summer. Heading to the Wind River High route in WY next week, then off to the east for a long bike ride then the good old AT.

Love that hike from Crusty Butt, er, Crested Butte, to Aspen. Gorgeous. I'd recommend the 4-pass loop but of course it's a zoo these days.

BTW, two years in a row I've led a CO mountain club trip on the "5-pass loop" down near lake city. Just as pretty as the 4-pass, but almost no people. Here's a Caltopo link:

https://caltopo.com/m/7QN0

Maybe next visit check that one out. It's also called the "Tour de Horns" as it circles around Wetterhorn and Matterhorn peaks. Only 21 miles or so, but it's a good 3-day hike. Pic attached from one evening at camp.20210717_201725a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'd recommend the 4-pass loop but of course it's a zoo these days.
    Agreed about the four pass loop. My wife and I did the loop a couple of weeks ago during the week and it was a virtual traffic jam. Last weekend I did a northern loop near it, and it was almost as good and far fewer people.
    We have a house up in Glenwood Springs now. I had not even heard of the West Elk Wilderness until this thread. I might try to make a trip down there before the end of the season. Definitely post the conditions when you get done!
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

++ New Posts ++