I thru-hiked in 2002 and had a bunch of jerks in the new Gooch shelter when I went through. It was a rainy day so some of the people didn't hike anywhere and were just taking up space. At that point in the journey the trail is still weeding out the inconsiderate people. Anyway, I stayed with 5 other people, who were told there wasn't enough room "unless it was an emergency", at the old gooch. Man, that place was a life-saver. I understand that you need to be ready to tent an blah blah blah... I heard this shelter was torn down. Well, that is the worst news about the AT I've ever heard. If anywhere along the trail needs another shelter it's in the most croweded area(the begining for most), during the spring. Rain can be expected and when the trail is beating you up on only your second day, a shleter is a hikers best friend. So, let me know if I'm wrong about it gettting torn down, but if it has I'll never forget it. I feel that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have another shelter in the first few days of a GAME hike... maybe where the old Gooch was?!