WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

You'll be amazed at how naturally things just work out and how quickly you become adept at making these seemingly gargantuan decisions. :-)

Just pay attention to the important things like having enough food/water and carrying/protecting your shelter and you're good to go. You have a bit more challenge SOBO due to the more remote starting location and the first few miles, but you WILL survive and thoroughly enjoy yourself.

As one of the regulars on here like to say, "It's only walking". For the most part he's right. Sure there are a lot of things to consider, but none of them are all that important that you can't improvise your way around a bad or incorrect decision.

As the first respondent said, RELAX.

Good luck, and have a GREAT time.

K-Stream reservation made for the night of the 25th! Had to book a lean-to because all the campsites were taken but I don't mind one bit. I'm getting anxious and excited.

I am also looking to stay at a motel/lodge of some sorts the night of the 24th. I was looking at The Appalachian Trail Lodge, but they can't confirm a reservation until Sunday because they are out of town. Does anyone have any suggestions for something close to Khatadin?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbuto View Post
    K-Stream reservation made for the night of the 25th! Had to book a lean-to because all the campsites were taken but I don't mind one bit. I'm getting anxious and excited.

I am also looking to stay at a motel/lodge of some sorts the night of the 24th. I was looking at The Appalachian Trail Lodge, but they can't confirm a reservation until Sunday because they are out of town. Does anyone have any suggestions for something close to Khatadin?
    the AT lodge is the way to go. i'm sure you'll be fine waiting for sunday to confirm

There are several motels in town but the AT lodge is the lace to be as they offer a shuttle into the park. I wouldnt stress, the town isnt that busy this time of year!

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barbuto View Post
    So I have been scrambling around trying to get everything under control so I can leave for Maine on the 24th.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to:
    1. I plan on starting my hike on the 26th, does that mean I summit Khatadin on the 25th?
    2. Do I have to make reservations at any special place before I start hiking?
    3. Do I have to call anyone and make reservations in order to be in baxter?

4. Does anyone have a resupply list for SOBOers? I already have 30+ drops and I havn't passed virginia.

Thank you so much for the help!

8 days and counting!
    I was just wondering how much experiece / prep-work you have done for your SOBO?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

prep is a good idea, esp as there is little to no gear aide for a long time. So make sure your gear is set.

We have reservations for KS both the night before the climb and the night after. We summit K July 1

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The best advice I ever got about long distance hiking was given on the way to Katahdin. I was freaking out just a little bit and another hiker told me a parable that put things in perspective:

'The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.'

I stopped worrying about hiking the entire AT and took it one step at a time and everything worked out pretty good.

Have Fun!

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice, D wreck.

Hiking Blog

I leave in 7 days...and Im NERVOUS and EXCITED!!
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Journal Entries
    Images

We are in 10 days. Can't wait!!

Hiking Blog

Don Watford SOBO 2010

I am starting SOBO, climbing Katahdin on August 4th (hopefully). I have had little prep time and I'm out of shape; several have advised that I skip the 100 mile wilderness and shuttle straight to Monson. Any suggestions?
    How would I get to Monson from Katahdin??
    Don from Savannah, GA

Midnight post. Cool.

Not that I would know, but I wouldn't skip the 100 mile wilderness if you were doing a thru-hike. Psycologically it would always be behind you. That would be tough. Just go slow. You will need less food per day, going slower and burning more body fat, so you shouldn't need any more food than others to get through. Take your time.

Keep your gear and clothing weight down also, at least at first while getting in shape.

Images

Smile Relax, and be a sailor....

"In a powerboat, you get there in a hurry . . . in a sailboat, you are already there."

it's all about the food... Safari's Avatar

skip the 100 mile???!!! good grief...
    'Have fun & stay cool.' - Ranulph Fiennes

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Bug spray.
    Money.
    Warm hat.
    Reservation for camping at KStream in Baxter.
    More bug spray.
    More money.
    One warm hat is enough.
    I would add just one thought. MORE BUG SPRAY!
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

It has been awhile around here since anyone has really needed a hat for warmth. Tad sticky, too.

Deer flies are a bugger tho.

Don Watford SOBO 2010

Default Re: skipping 100 mile wilderness

I'm more concerned with carrying 10 days of food and no safety net for 100 miles. Seems like to much risk for the first week on the trail. Isn't that how hikers get in trouble?

If you can't make it through the 100 mile wilderness, skipping the entire trail might be a good idea. Every hiker who's ever gotten "in trouble" on a trail has been outside at the time.

The 100 mile wilderness does have road crossings, and to my knowledge the number of thru-hikers who have died in the 100 mile wilderness is exactly zero.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

If going SOBO, at the Jo-Mary Rd, you can bail out if you need to. It's a well used dirt logging road, 4 mi. south of Antlers camp site. It'll be the first in-use dirt road. A bridge services the road over cooper brook. If you go right over the bridge, it'll take you out to Jo-Mary campground. You may luck out and get a ride from anyone driving in this area. Beyond here it will be iffy. It's 6 miles to the campground and 12 out to the road. Next possible place is the river crossing coming over the W. Branch of the Pleasant R. If you go straight after crossing the river( instead of right on the AT) it'll bring you to the Gulf Hagas parking lot in about 3 mins. and a possible ride out from anyone leaving.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

The 100 mile wilderness isn't really that isolated as people have noted. The name is scary but it really isn't. There is also Whitehouse Landing where you can get food and the hiking is easy and very scenic. No way should you skip it.

And the OP with dozens of mail drops, don't do any more, you are going to get fed up with those after dealing with the first few. 26 would be more than enough for the WHOLE TRAIL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++