Quote Originally Posted by Highland Goat View Post
I have used both vacuum-sealed bags and zip-top freezer bags for diverse trips of various durations and found that the best choice depends on the contents. Some freeze-dried foods have monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that can oxidize easily, that is to say go rancid. I try to choose my storage method based on the ingredients list.
Yup. The other aspect that comes into play is how long dehydrated food is going to be sitting around before being used. It's why some people write on the bags, whether Ziplocks or Vacuum sealed, the date made, contents and possibly prep instructions.

I mostly Ziploc dehydrated food placing a leftover anti-dessicant packet inside( I save mine from vitamin bottles), seal it well after squeezing as much air out, roll it up and then place a small rubber band around it. I store it already divided up into dinners, b'fasts, and snacks into covered sealed plastic bins off the floor on shelves in an area not prone to temp, humidity, and insect extremes. This makes for easier food supply/resupply for this impromptu backpacking treks.

All Ziplock are not equal. Some have better seals, thicker mils, etc than other versions. Sometime the word Ziplocks is used to describe any plastic bag with a top seal.

Two of the most noted problems I had in contamination and lowered shelf life were 1) Poor sealing because messy filling of the Ziplocs. Do not get food, even food dust, oils(from nuts seeds, etc), spices, etc in the seals 2) Using too thin Dollar Store or Great Value Wally World "Ziploc" brands of bags for pints food. Crumbing up something like higher end Ramen can easily poke small holes in the bag.

I typically get 10-14 months doing this with all my food whether dehydrated or not.

One more thing that has assisted in less waste. Everything I eat on trail I readily eat at home so if I start seeing expiration dates of "trail food" nearing I use that first on trail and at home.