Any new perspectives since the last thread on this topic? I'm leading a workshop on this town at ATC's Biennial Conference in Emory, VA at the beginning of July.

I'm interested not only in thoughts from thru-hikers, but day-hikers and short-term backpackers.

I'm aware of the recent survey by Sherri Ross about library use on the Trail and the one about the town of Franklin, but needs/expectations can change even in a year's time, and those surveys were based on specific locations/topics.

General comments as well as specific positive examples would be helpful. Please indicate what type of hiking your recommendations are based on, and when you hiked.

By the way, at the Conference there are are multiple workshops related to the A.T. in the following categories: Hiking & Backpacking Skills, Trail Management, Natural Wonders, Cultural History along the A.T., Engaging Youth on the Trail, Appalachian Trail Communities, Environmental Issues for the A.T., and Volunteer Leadership Development. These offer great opportunities to deepen your knowledge of the A.T. and learn about ways to give back. Lots of organized hikes, too. More at www.virginia2011.org.

Thanks!

Laurie Potteiger
ATC