I would like to know what you would do different if you were to hike the AT again. What would you change? What would you add? How would you lighten you backpack? What type hiking boots would you use? What type of food would you carry? Would you resupply more often to lighten the food load?

I would like your feedback on all parts of you thru hike. I plan to thru hike in 2012 and have never done a long distant hike before. In fact I have done very little hiking in the few years and I am 76 years old. I have always wanted the AT and tried in 2007 but has heart problems so had to stop. I have now had open heart surgery and a defibrilator install and the doctor says I should be alright to hike. One thing I do like about him is he is also a backpacker so he better understand what will work.

Thus I shall hit the AT on March 15TH of 2012. I plan to do a thru hike but if not go as far as I can. I plan to start off slow and let my lungs and body adjust to the mountains before I start trying to make much mileage. So any help or advice that you can provide would be much appreciated.

Tomman
[email protected]