Recently I have been falling upon these articles and posts about people who were mugged, killed, or assaulted on the trail. Even a few people who steal your gear while you sleep. I know this is few and far between, but it has me a bit worried. I am still definitely going on my AT thru in 2013, but I do have serious concerns about my safety and moreso the safety of my wife. The fact that the name "pink blazers" even exists tells me there are more than a handful of guys with less than great intentions towards female hikers. If, say, there were 100 guys like this on the trail (especially in the beginning) I would think 1 or 2 of them (if not more) have their mind in a place that doesn't bode well for women in the woods. Hopefully seeing 6'4 215lb me walking beside my wife will deter them, but that's not a guarantee. I know there's a minuscule chance I'll be in a situation where I need to defend my wife or myself from some creeps, but its enough that I'm considering options.

Is bringing some form of personal defense equipment (I won't list them here) completely out of the question? I don't really want to be the guy who brings a fist to a knife fight should it come to that.

or are my fears totally ridiculous?