Hello all, so here the story goes...
I've always been into tinkering with thing(motors, bikes, models and the like) I have made a few camping things as well with marginal to pretty good results. I recently got into hanging in a hammock and joined the hammock forum. I had been looking into purchasing an underquilt but the cost was more than I could afford. So, I had been frequenting the local thrift stores in hopes of finding some down filled articles that I could use to make my own underquilt. I came across a down sleeping bag. It felt rather heavy and definitely older but clean, I figured, what the heck and brought it up to the counter anyways. No price tag, cashier looks at me and asks what do I think? I suggest $5, she says cool. When I got it home and unrolled it I found that it was actually 2 bags zipped together. I'll try my best to describe it here, and I'll also try to post a couple pics if I can manage.
it is, semi-rectangular, light blue in color
In case I can't get the photo to upload here's what the label reads

'Fairy'
DOWN SLEEPING BAG
Model:EVEREST
Manufactured in New Zealand by
ARTHER ELLIS & CO.LTD
DUNEDIN~CHRISTCHURCH~INVERCARGILL
imag1055-1.jpgIMAG1062.jpg

What I'm wondering is this; mainly, temperature rating, weight(I don't have a scale), and possibly its age.
I asked around the hammock forum and wasn't able to get much of a response other than jealousy for finding such a great deal. Also, another user directed my to MacPac, an Australian outfit that has since bought the fairydown company. I tried to contact the company via e-mail but alas, I have received no response. The zippers, to me, look like these were made in the 70's. Maybe somebody here has some experience with this brand or even better yet, this particular model.
Ultimately, I'm wondering if in your opinion it would be a good or bad idea to cut one of them up to make an underquilt out of.

dancing banana? why not

Thanks in advance for any responses