Absolutely, mix and match with official CDT routes and alternates to design the hike of your dreams. No other other long distance trail of the extent of the CDT does this most aptly apply.

Trail angle system is NO where as near developed on the CDT as it is on the AT or even the PCT.

Even after having 8 previous long distance thru-hikes of 250 - 2700 miles each under my belt before I thrued the CDT in 2010 I still found the logistics daunting at times. I found it helpful to chunk things down by state and just kept chugging through it until I had that state's logistics down. Without going into great detail I thought Ley's CDT mapset made things immensely helpful in designing my route. Yogi does a GREAT CDT guide too. And, MAGS CDT advice kept me from getting overwhelmed at times by cutting through to the nitty gritty; he does this probably better than anyone in regard to ALL his trail and personal advice.

Think about it from this perspective. It's a damn GREAT hike just doing Glacier to Yellowstone! That section alone could be the hike of a lifetime for a great many hikers! That's exactly what I did Venchka. I tacked on the Bechler Trail(GREAT waterfall and hot pool soaking trail!, took in Union Falls too) from near Shoshone Lake/Heart Lakes(both in Yellowstone NP) down to Flagg Ranch and hitched over to Grand Teton NP and did the Teton Crest Trail. That plan you have is, IMHO, one helluva hike! ANY hiker would experience a wealth of scenery, terrain, and challenges on that trek and be proud to have it included in their hiking resume.

"I was going to hike the CDT loop in the Rocky Mountain National Park this past month but due to the forest fire, I was unable so I'd like to do that loop as well, I heard it is vert scenic with all the lakes etc… Like you said, things quickly change when we're on the trail. Who know's, we may want cheeseburgers every 20 miles! " - Foreversuperawesome

I did the RMNP CDT loop. People have different opinions about it but my thought was "Why wouldn't I want to experience a National Park? It's a NP for damn good reason. This is just my opinion but I think SOME CDTers fall into the mindset to just get the trail done(the CDT is a LONG trail) so start lopping off trail mileage for the simple reason to get it over with and for little other valid reasons. This is really not a hard loop to do logistically if you factor in Shadow Cliff Hostel in Grand Lake and do it as a LONG day hike! Thanks MAGS for the advice on the RMNP loop!

In 2010 there were a total of 6 of us going SOBO and about 10 that I knew who were going NOBO. I met about a dozen total CDT thru-hikers that year. On several occasions I didn't encounter any human for 3-5 day stretches. I shouldn't have to say this but I will because I still notice hikers in an AT mindset who want to hike the CDT that way. The CDT is very much unlike the AT in many aspects. If you're planning a CDT thru or long CDT section hike you should understand that and know the differences and wisely prepare accordingly.