WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is the advantage of using isopropyl?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    What is the advantage of using isopropyl?
    My question is genuine. It was intended to gain perspective. I believe that the best way is often missed because it is dismissed because of what we think we know. I think I know why isopropyl is a bad fuel choice. In this case it would be just noise to list what I know. I seek knowledge. Many people try to build a functional and efficient isopropyl stove. I know why I use other fuels. Honestly, why build a stove for isopropyl? I am not being sarcastic.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    My question is genuine. It was intended to gain perspective. I believe that the best way is often missed because it is dismissed because of what we think we know. I think I know why isopropyl is a bad fuel choice. In this case it would be just noise to list what I know. I seek knowledge. Many people try to build a functional and efficient isopropyl stove. I know why I use other fuels. Honestly, why build a stove for isopropyl? I am not being sarcastic.
    Isopropyl/Rubbing Alcohol is infinitely easier to find than other alcohol fuels (I don't think I've ever even seen HEET or esbit before, though I've never looked for it specifically) and it's also very cheap ($3/liter at Walmart, IIRC). I also happen to already have it at my house, so that makes it basically free to play with, for a little while.
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Liberty View Post
    Isopropyl/Rubbing Alcohol is infinitely easier to find than other alcohol fuels (I don't think I've ever even seen HEET or esbit before, though I've never looked for it specifically) and it's also very cheap ($3/liter at Walmart, IIRC). I also happen to already have it at my house, so that makes it basically free to play with, for a little while.
    Particularly in northern latitudes like Illinois, you should be able to find yellow HEET quite easily in the automotive section of Walmart. Also Walmart usually stocks KleenStrip denatured alcohol, either in the fishing section as it's marketed as boat alcohol stove fuel, or in the paint department where denatured alcohol is generally sold as well. Esbit is readily available at almost any store that carries hiking gear, and Esbit or similar solid fuels (Coglans brand) are also stocked at many other stores in the camping aisle.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 05-14-2015 at 18:01.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Particularly in northern latitudes like Illinois, you should be able to find yellow HEET quite easily in the automotive section of Walmart. Also Walmart usually stocks KleenStrip denatured alcohol, either in the fishing section as it's marketed as boat alcohol stove fuel, or in the paint department where denatured alcohol is generally sold as well. Esbit is readily available at almost any store that carries hiking gear, and Esbit or similar solid fuels (Coglans brand) are also stocked at many other stores in the camping aisle.
    Thanks for the info, I was sure it was around, but I've never looked for it. (My point was more that you can get isopropyl at any dinky town in the middle of nowhere, but only larger towns will probably have a walmart or outdoors/auto store where you can get other fuels... and iso is cheaper too, I believe).

On a tangent: what's the difference between red and yellow HEET? I've seen it argued about before but I never paid attention.
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

++ New Posts ++