Quote Originally Posted by doingtime View Post
OK, I'm needing help with this. I hike with a dog 50% of the time. My dog runs off leash 95% of the time we're hiking. I do keep her leashed in parking lots, campgrounds, high traffic areas, etc.

I keep a retractable leash attached to my pack at all times and use as needed.

But, on the trail, I just can't see using a leash. Especially a regular 6 foot lead. Just walking a dog n the neighborhood on a 6 foot leash is no fun, so i sure can't see the fun (for me or her) on a leash out in the wide open spaces.

I ask, because i have never seen a dog, on the trail, on a 6 foot leash. I see them all of the time off leash and never had a problem.

My question is, how do you do it? Enjoy being on the trail with a dog on a leash that is?
So, just because you "can't see" or understand the reasoning behind leash laws - which exist in MANY areas and is a STATEWIDE LAW in many states, that means you're going to make up your own set of laws to abide? WOW, glad that everyone doesn't impose their behavior across the board that way. This is WHY there is animosity towards lack of personal accountability for dog owners and dogs.

Before anyone labels me as a dog hater I have a dog, love dogs, have hiked LD distances with my own and other dogs, and have chosen to take some of my dogs on trails and not others. AND, I'VE aimed to follow the DOG LEASH LAWS WHEN REQUIRED. FWIW, kinda has sucked for me as a dog owner trying to backpack with a leashed dog that runs off, is disobedient, or confronts/fights other dogs, wildlife or people. So, as said, some of my dogs in the past I could not and would not impose on others or myself on trail.