Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
I can see it coming, GSMNP will start requiring bear canisters for the entire park. I honestly believe that tourist more than hikers are the cause of the bear problems we face today. I have seen more of them throwing food at bears just to watch them eat. Also saw a mother give her daughter (I am guessing about 6-7YO) some food then standby as the girl walk up the bear. She ended up throwing the food at the bear and running back to her mother. At the 441 parking lot at Newfound Gap, I watched a bear pretty much destroy a door on a mini van to get at the food inside. Oh well life goes on.
Bears belong in the Smokies. Do automobiles and rolling traffic?? The GSMNP is already so heavily regulated for backpackers that I avoid it---no matter if they require bear canisters or not. The honchos want me to register and tell them where I'll be camping every night. IMPOSSIBLE hoop to jump thru on a 21 day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
If the shelter is closed why not the lodge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Excellent question. And many people dislike the rat-box shelters, so the more they close the better in my opinion.