WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is NO easy way up and down Katahdin. The "easiest" (being the least steep overall) would be the Saddle Trail leaving from Chimney pond campground. Even so, this 2.2 mile trail has 2,353 feet of elevation gain and the estimated time is 3.5 hours to climb to Pamola peak (the actual summit) - is just slightly better then a 1/2 mile an hour pace. You may want to skip climbing this mountain your first day out.
    First of all, read my signature for my hiking abilities and I was 70 on March 21 of this year.
    Now, look at the attached summary of my first hike since forever. The trail is the Profile trail to Calloway Peak in Grandfather Mountain State Park, NC.
    A round trip from Hwy 105. The bulk of the elevation gain is in the first 3 miles. The "trail" from mile 2.7 to mile 3.0 is an inclined boulder field and climbs approximately 600'.
    Argus summary:

Comparing the Profile trail to the trail description above, what's all the fuss about? Just curious.

BTW, reading "Called Again" includes an interesting version of starting a SOBO hike on June 20-21.
    Cheers.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    First of all, read my signature for my hiking abilities and I was 70 on March 21 of this year.
    Now, look at the attached summary of my first hike since forever. The trail is the Profile trail to Calloway Peak in Grandfather Mountain State Park, NC.
    A round trip from Hwy 105. The bulk of the elevation gain is in the first 3 miles. The "trail" from mile 2.7 to mile 3.0 is an inclined boulder field and climbs approximately 600'.
    Argus summary:

Comparing the Profile trail to the trail description above, what's all the fuss about? Just curious.

BTW, reading "Called Again" includes an interesting version of starting a SOBO hike on June 20-21.
    Cheers.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Hunt trail is 4188 feet of elevation gain, most of that in a three mile section above tree line. My gf got 45,000 steps, according to her Fitbit. My exercise app calculated 8000 calories burned that day, but it also said we hiked 14 miles. We started at 6:00 am and finished at 7:30pm.

It's a balance of avoiding dehydration, exhaustion, and finishing before dark. And not injuring yourself, of course.

++ New Posts ++