WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Where he is going to have trouble finding a Catholic Church is here in the south. There just isn't a very large Catholic population down here. The nearest Catholic Church to me is about a half hour drive. In relation to the trail and small towns? Good luck!!

You might want to contact a guy named Circuit Rider. He's a pastor that hikes the AT every year. He may be able to help. Below is his website. He makes it to service every sunday, although he doesn't have the Catholic restraint, he may know of some churches off the beaten path.

www.heartbeatat.com

good luck
    Last edited by Lilred; 01-02-2010 at 12:54.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Orig. posted by DavidNH: What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.

One of the many things that make this country a great place to live:
    Freedom of choice.

Now imagine being an Orthodox Jew on the AT.........................
    Talk about your Zero days adding up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Bull**** question My ass!!!! Someone states they are required to do something.... Simple question - required by who?
    i agree! im catholic and am not REQUIRED to do anything! you wont go to HELL if you miss mass! i aint attending mass during my thru! GOD will understand!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Matt:

I'm pretty sure Rangeley Maine has a church, not sure about other Maine towns like Monson, Stratton, Andover.

In New Hampshire, I know hikers who have been welcomed at the Catholic churches in Gorham and Lincoln, and of course, my own parish of St. Denis in Hanover would love to have you visit; Sacred Heart in nearby Lebanon is also a wonderful church.

Best of luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by droptopbenz View Post
    i agree! im catholic and am not REQUIRED to do anything! you wont go to HELL if you miss mass! i aint attending mass during my thru! GOD will understand!
    You're a Protestant in drag .
    If God is really God he WILL understand.
    Good luck convincing the Roman Catholic Church.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Talk about your Zero days adding up.
    Oy!.....and the extra cookware!!!!!!!!!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Oh my that would make me Meshuge!

I have a friend who has one Jewish parent and one Catholic parent. He referrers to himself as a Cashew.

Oh my that would make me Meshuge!

I have a friend who has one Jewish parent and one Catholic parent. He referrers to himself as a Cashew.
    See! Religion can be lots of fun!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    Where he is going to have trouble finding a Catholic Church is here in the south. There just isn't a very large Catholic population down here.
    Northen New England has a strong Catholic presence, thanks to all the French-Canadians who came down for logging and textile work at the turn of the last century. I'm not suprised there are Catholic churches in some of the small towns the AT passes through in Maine. Berlin here used to have 3-4 Catholic churches, but I think thier down to just one now, due to a general drop in overall population.

I think the logistics of being in the right place at the right time to get to a church on Sunday is going to be the real nightmare. On a long hike, it's realy hard to be where you want to be at the time you want to be there.

Having to follow strict religous tenets and being a long distance hiker just don't mix very well.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Where he is going to have trouble finding a Catholic Church is here in the south. There just isn't a very large Catholic population down here. The nearest Catholic Church to me is about a half hour drive. In relation to the trail and small towns? Good luck!!......
    I was about to say the same thing. I walked north off and on with a very devote Catholic. We hitch hiked into Hiawassi, GA, by passing the highly recommended Blueberry Patch hostel. He to find a Catholic Church for Sunday mass. Me to find a beer.

He was very disappointed about not being able to find a church that matched his faith needs. A quick check suggests that he still might not find a suitable church. The nearest such church I could find after a quick search is one 16 miles away in Blairsville -- and that was built five years after our 1993 walk.

Weary

Just go to confession after your hike and your clear!

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I don't see where anyone is attacking his faith. But feel free to think what you need.
    How about these quotes:
    "I bet if you arrange to pay your weekly contributions ahead of time,
    Yes, all he needs to do is make a large enough contribution and they'll give him a pass. If they balk at it just tell them I said it's ok
    In fact one might argue that a person would have better luck getting closer to "God" or improving ones relationship with "God" while in a natural setting. Say atop a mountain summit or by a beautiful lake as opposed to being in a box that happens to have a cathedral ceiling. Follow whatever religious or spiritual path you chose but a perfect attendance record does not equate to a free pass into heaven.
    What really complicates things is your need to just to go to church but to go to a catholic church.
    i agree! im catholic and am not REQUIRED to do anything! you wont go to HELL if you miss mass! i aint attending mass during my thru! GOD will understand!"

All of these display either an atrocious ignorance of the world's largest Christian denomination, or a bigoted perspective. Attempting to blow off the issue of anti-catholicism by saying "feel free to think what you need" is as lame as any other bigot's attempt to justify their narrow-mindedness, stupidity, and hate by saying "some of my best friends are catholic." I think it is safe to say that some people in this thread have displayed and anti-catholic bigotry. Not surprising, considering it is the last socially acceptable form of bigotry.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The combined powers of Jewish and Catholic guilt alone would drive him meshugah (Jewish) and make him a bit of a stunad' (southern Italian Catholic).

The combined powers of Jewish and certain Catholic ethnic denominations (Polish, Mexican, and Italian among others. Irish? Not so much. )at holidays would make for some killer feasts, however.

Being serious...talk to your local priest. Explain the situation and something can probably be worked out. Military people sometimes were away from chaplains in the past and not able to attend Mass. Not directly applicable to your situation, but it does give a basis on which the priest may be able to help.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-02-2010 at 17:33.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You might want to contact a guy named Circuit Rider. He's a pastor that hikes the AT every year. He may be able to help. Below is his website. He makes it to service every sunday, although he doesn't have the Catholic restraint, he may know of some churches off the beaten path.

www.heartbeatat.com

good luck
    Circuit Rider is a great guy!! We met him and SHerlock in MA.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I stopped reading after the first 15 entries, because I know where this (as with all somewhat "controversial" threads) is going.

This should not be the beginning of a religion discussion, only where one can find a Catholic mass along the trail. It is no one's business if the OP wants to attent Mass, and no one should comment on it.

Matt, it all depends on how much money you're willing to spend, and how much time you're willing to compromise. You will likely find that you are waiting around in certain places and paying t be driven to a service, unless you can find a church member to drive you for free.

The responses to this question are what is wrong with this forum, I think...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Meant "attend", not "attent".
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

"I think it is safe to say that some people in this thread have displayed an anti-catholic bigotry. Not surprising, considering it is the last socially acceptable form of bigotry."

Excellent observation. Catholic Bashers...let their ignorance shine. Any other form of bigotry would not be tollerated.
    Mike

Images

If it was me, I would limit my hikes to no more than 5-6 days. For me there is just to much hassle trying to combine a long hike without missing a Mass.

The best part of backpacking is to get away from schedules and deadlines and such. This kind of hiking would make me want to get back to work where there would be less stress.

I do believe it says somewhere in the catechism that it is tolerable to miss mass on sunday if you are traveling, might wanna double check tho. Im definately not a priest.

Im planning to try to get to mass on Sundays and if I happen on a church some other day, then Ill go to a weekday mass.

thats the best I can do :/

Images

"The responses to this question are what is wrong with this forum, I think..."

Shlep,

Not all of the responses were off base, some actually took the time for a legitimate solution.

There's only a few who can't supress the desire to tell others how wrong they are in their personal decisions. My guess is many post what they would never be willing to say in person.

-pfann

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++