WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

It is easy to observe a person and notice behavior traits that give us warning signs to rather avoid that individual. Being homeless is NOT a warning flag.

It would be more appropriate to hear from someone who actually came in direct contact with a person about whom then could be issued a "heads up".

About a week ago we were hiking a section of the Long Trail. My son always hikes ahead because he is faster but knows to wait at intersections and shelters. When we got to Birch Glen shelter my son was waiting for us and said that there was an odd hiker who kept only talking to himself. The hiker left before we got there.

I was slightly worried but we continued on to Cowled shelter. At Cowles we told two hikers about the experience and the said the same person walked through about an hour ago and that indeed he was a bit disturbed.

So there you have it. The person was not homeless and it mattered very little whether he was.

So in situations like that or perhaps more severe, posting on a message board describing the peculiar behavior traits and let people be aware.

OTOH a behavior of a person who happens to be homeless could be totally pleasant and jovial.

Putting a label of being a homeless in a warning post and not describing what exact behavior is worrisome is a wrong way to do this.

Even if you say you are not judgmental it doesn't make it so.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    When we got to Birch Glen shelter my son was waiting for us and said that there was an odd hiker who kept only talking to himself.
    That is exactly how I met Ward Leonard the first time in Maine in '95. Damn glad i did.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    On a hike today, I came across a homeless camp near the Clarks Ferry shelter by the junction of the AT and Susquehanna trails. The individual has a large tent set up with a clothes line holding up jeans and bath towels, leading me to believe they are using the campsite for a residence. Others informed me that a man in jeans, note this was a hot day, was laying in the shelter without any gear. This leads me to believe that the person inhabiting the camp may be hanging around the shelter in an attempt to bum supplies. Hopefully the ridge runner finds this person and solves the issue. I would hate for a hiking planning to stay at the shelter to be possibly hassled by this person for any reason.

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone planning on making camp in the area.
    A totally different perspective...

What if this guy just found a nice place to camp for a bit?

What if he was just at the shelter to wait for some friends who were coming down the trail?

Since the guy made no attempts to pan handle from you, or the other hikers... Why would you just assume someone in the shelter was hanging out there to bum food? Thru hikers are about the last people I would think to hit up for food.

What if this guy was camping in the area, so he could collect stories from hikers and write a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
    She is also a bit of a narcissist. In her first homeless "heads up" thread, she vowed to not post again on the topic. She took on this uber-victimized persona and bounced back and forth from a passive to aggressive poster. Yet, when this thread appeared, she was one of the first to jump back in and rekindle what she claimed to be so painful for her. I really don't mean to insult her, but it's pretty clear to the casual observer that she is very fond of attention, whether it is positive or negative.
    I believe there have been 2 threads on the homeless. That is hardly a lot. Who gives a flying $&@& what you personally think of this woman's personality? It has no business on this site. You can disagree with someone and their views, but you are attacking the woman herself in this case, which is wrong. I don't know this woman but I will certainly defend her right to present her views without being personally attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    On a hike today, I came across a homeless camp near the Clarks Ferry shelter by the junction of the AT and Susquehanna trails. The individual has a large tent set up with a clothes line holding up jeans and bath towels, leading me to believe they are using the campsite for a residence. Others informed me that a man in jeans, note this was a hot day, was laying in the shelter without any gear. This leads me to believe that the person inhabiting the camp may be hanging around the shelter in an attempt to bum supplies. Hopefully the ridge runner finds this person and solves the issue. I would hate for a hiking planning to stay at the shelter to be possibly hassled by this person for any reason.

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone planning on making camp in the area.
    ALTHOUGH I wear jeans on trail...its my one true oddball luxury. THIS IS A MASSIVE ISSUE effecting EVERYONE on trail. This should NOT occur no matter what. WE have social services to help people in need (think we still have social services). Regardless this person could be mentally unstable...criminal perhaps or stealing from hikers. Better off trail...then to take a chance. GREAT JOB in reporting this information. Thank you

HEADS up people who live on trail may rob you...I was MUGGED at knife point (reported to the ranger). "Heads up" is needed more so then face to face contact...not sure if this is PC BS. on your part T.S. But people have been killed on trail by homeless people as well as people...that were often ignored by their peers on trail. I say call the Police "SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING"...this could be a person who is in need of medical help or mental. EITHER way its AGAINST the Law to live on Federal park land...without noting it to the proper authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    I believe there have been 2 threads on the homeless. That is hardly a lot. Who gives a flying $&@& what you personally think of this woman's personality? It has no business on this site. You can disagree with someone and their views, but you are attacking the woman herself in this case, which is wrong. I don't know this woman but I will certainly defend her right to present her views without being personally attacked.
    Not sure if you read the other thread, but there was a fair share of personal attacks administered by both sides...some that were far more judgmental than mine. She has/had every right to say what she did, but you open the door for criticism when you're posting your opinions on a public forum, especially when you're the one continuously beating the dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I'm sure going to avoid that part of the trail. I'm very afraid of men in jeans with big tents. There is no telling what they might attempt to ask me for.
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    ALTHOUGH I wear jeans on trail...its my one true oddball luxury.
    See...I told you I was afraid.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Personally, I do not have any issue with homeless people on the trail, where I believe that hiking the AT may be a good way to find a new footing in life. Where I do have is a concern, is when people take up a semi-permanent residence in any area in the woods that they do not own. Not only do they potentially pose a risk to others given their mental state or any other personal problem they may have, but people may be enticed to vandalize their camp or assault the person residing there.

I believe that many of the trail groups and agencies keep a similar stance as to people setting up semi-permanent camps on the trail. Such people should be directed toward the appropriate state or local agency that can help them out with their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    I don't know this woman but I will certainly defend her right to present her views without being personally attacked.
    LOL...you're too much...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    HEADS up people who live on trail may rob you...I was MUGGED at knife point (reported to the ranger). "Heads up" is needed more so then face to face contact...not sure if this is PC BS. on your part T.S. But people have been killed on trail by homeless people as well as people...that were often ignored by their peers on trail. I say call the Police "SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING"...this could be a person who is in need of medical help or mental. EITHER way its AGAINST the Law to live on Federal park land...without noting it to the proper authorities.
    Wait.... you were mugged ???? i thought it was Roadside that was mugged, at least thats what you said in another thread... i guess you have lied so much you are starting to forget which is which huh ??

Quote Originally Posted by silverscuba22 View Post
    Wait.... you were mugged ???? i thought it was Roadside that was mugged, at least thats what you said in another thread... i guess you have lied so much you are starting to forget which is which huh ??
    They stole his identity!

Busted. Again.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
    They stole his identity!
    I hate it when that happens! Sometimes when I'm using my 10 usernames I get Kent Lady and others all mixed up!

Images

Need to wipe coffee off the keyboard now...

Does anybody know if either of these two were mugged or were both of them mugged or what? Were there two seperate muggings both at knife point this year and is it just one suspect or two?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Does anybody know if either of these two were mugged or were both of them mugged or what? Were there two seperate muggings both at knife point this year and is it just one suspect or two?
    Probably wandered into a gear shop and felt like he was being mugged...

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Define mugged. He is just scared of the religious people and thought they were mugging him, but they were just offering a pamphlet!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rastraikis View Post
    Define mugged. He is just scared of the religious people and thought they were mugging him, but they were just offering a pamphlet!
    They may even have been offering a satanic Snickers bar!

Default Stick to subject

Yeah lying and speaking in third person...are compeletly differnt ATMilkman. Grow up and stick to said subject matters...this one is HOMELESS people on trail...not how big of an ass you are,

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++