WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

beer, pack it in pack it out

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    beer, pack it in pack it out
    Or pack it in pee it out.

Pot liquor. This is the liquid that remains in the pot after you cook and eat your nettles. Full of vitamins and minerals.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Coffee in the morning, a cup of tea at night, water in between.
    Keeps life simple.

The pickle juice for cramps sounds like a good idea because I do get cramps sometimes.
    But, how to carry it? I can't imagine it's worth the weight unless it can be dehydrated.
    I'm told it is the turmeric in the pickle juice though I cannot verify it. Pickle juice works so fast it is amazing. I think the combination of turmeric, salt, and vinegar has beneficial properties.

I loved the crystal light energy things, I tried the MIO but didn't like the taste. One guy I know for some reason used a whole MIO pack in one bottle of water, had to go to the hospital.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

I've become disillusioned with artificial sweeteners. I just don't want them. Unfortunately, they seem to be in just about everything these days. So for me, I opt for coffee in the morning and in the evening I drink tea (green or black, not herbal) without sugar, even in the south. I may have a packet or two of flavored Oral Rehydration Salts in my first aid kit for emergencies, but the correct recipe includes glucose.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool I not only have to have flavored H2O

I have to have it carbonated -- something about carbonation in water just lifts my spirits. Thus I bring along Fizzies{R}* to add to the water during my evening meal. When I get back go civilization, one of the first things I crave is Coke or Pepsi.

In the morning I drink coffee to get me awake, but during my hike I drink straight water. Just too much trouble for me to add anything. But at night I HAVE to have the carbonation.

* Yes, they are still sold - both online and at specialty candy stores.

BTW, sorry about replying to OMO instead of the OP -- I'd fix my mistake if I could.

Images

I too find its more trouble than its worth to add anything to my water. I once found some pink lemonade packets in Peru Peak Shelter and used a couple, but they were too sweet for me unless I diluted them with about three liters of water. I still have one or two packets of that stuff kicking around. I was given some gatorade packets by some day hikers once. I tried them, but again too sweet unless they were very diluted. I find that most of the time I just want plain water. If I do crave a flavored liquid when I'm hiking I only want a small quantity, like four or five sips at most. Its not worth it to me to carry flavoring just to make such a small amount, so I don't bother with it. I find plain water to be tasty and refreshing and its something I can drink all day long.

In the mornings I'll have one or two cups of coffee, plain water all day when I'm hiking, and a couple cups of tea at night. I usually carry a half dozen varieties of tea and a couple different types of coffee. Occasionally I'll pack a small bottle of alcohol out of town (at least in the North, where you can actually buy liquor) and/or some beers. The liquor gets sipped at night, but the beer rarely makes it past the first shelter out of town. Too heavy to carry any further than that.
    Mobilis in Mobili

I like the Kool-aid that comes in little squeezable bottles, and also PowerAid that in the little single pouches.

I drink water, but I'll pack 1-2 sugarless mix flavor packs per day for variety. Tend to like fruit punch and peach flavors for some reason. Even though it usually says these make 16 oz, I usually get 1-2 20 oz gatorade bottles flavored with one packet. Enough flavor for me.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Or pack it in pee it out.
    for the win

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    I too find its more trouble than its worth to add anything to my water. I once found some pink lemonade packets in Peru Peak Shelter and used a couple, but they were too sweet for me unless I diluted them with about three liters of water. I still have one or two packets of that stuff kicking around. I was given some gatorade packets by some day hikers once. I tried them, but again too sweet unless they were very diluted. I find that most of the time I just want plain water. If I do crave a flavored liquid when I'm hiking I only want a small quantity, like four or five sips at most. Its not worth it to me to carry flavoring just to make such a small amount, so I don't bother with it. I find plain water to be tasty and refreshing and its something I can drink all day long.

In the mornings I'll have one or two cups of coffee, plain water all day when I'm hiking, and a couple cups of tea at night. I usually carry a half dozen varieties of tea and a couple different types of coffee. Occasionally I'll pack a small bottle of alcohol out of town (at least in the North, where you can actually buy liquor) and/or some beers. The liquor gets sipped at night, but the beer rarely makes it past the first shelter out of town. Too heavy to carry any further than that.
    So lemme get this straight: A flavoring packet is too much of a hassle to carry much less take the time required to mix it and drink it b/c it's too sweet, BUT you take along coffee?

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I drink water, but I'll pack 1-2 sugarless mix flavor packs per day for variety. Tend to like fruit punch and peach flavors for some reason. Even though it usually says these make 16 oz, I usually get 1-2 20 oz gatorade bottles flavored with one packet. Enough flavor for me.
    I do the same with any packet that says to mix with 16--20oz H2O. Just too sweet for so little water.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Squincher?! Wow, I haven't seen those in so plong, I thought they were discontinued.
    sqwincher is sold primarily thru safety supply distributors for industrial use.

They are the lightest and best tasting ones I have found. I find I drink more if I have a couple per day.

Nothing added to drinking water is a tasty as plain old clean clear spring water or water tumbling down a remote brook or from a mountain tarn. Leave it to humans to screw up something so basic as water that is pure, free, clean, clear and refreshing. NOTHING like it can come from a tap(w/ halides - flouride, chlorine compounds, inoculants, antibiotics, etc), or by adding a flavoring, sugar, electrolytes, blah blah blah. I really miss it every time after a hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Nothing added to drinking water is a tasty as plain old clean clear spring water or water tumbling down a remote brook or from a mountain tarn. Leave it to humans to screw up something so basic as water that is pure, free, clean, clear and refreshing. NOTHING like it can come from a tap(w/ halides - flouride, chlorine compounds, inoculants, antibiotics, etc), or by adding a flavoring, sugar, electrolytes, blah blah blah. I really miss it every time after a hike.
    as much as hate dogwoods elitist/rich views on his posts here on whiteblaze, i can agree with him on this post completely , nothings is better then the piped water spring deep in the mountains!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy44 View Post
    as much as hate dogwoods elitist/rich views on his posts here on whiteblaze, i can agree with him on this post completely , nothings is better then the piped water spring deep in the mountains!
    I don't always agree with Dogwood, but I appreciate and welcome the unique perspective he offers.

And yes, mountain spring water is yummy, this coming from a guy who lives near the world's first and only monument/sculpture dedicated to municipal water supply fluoridation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Tang is wonderful stuff and I think it tastes a lot better than gatorade. I usually make a liter of it at less than the recommended strength about half way through the day.

It's got what astronauts crave!

Tang is also good in the winter time, make it with HOT water.

Kool Aid or Wylers with sugar. I dont consume artificial sweeteners. Coffee and tea with sugar.

Images

wine and everclear

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++