WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
    Which tent are you referring to, the Contrail or the One?
    The Contrail.

Here are my likes and dislikes for The One.

- Holds warmth inside really well
    - Very light and a small package
    - Easy to set up once you figure out how
    - It looks like you're going to get wet from the way the front vestibule seems so high, but you don't. It's really weather tight.
    - It's pretty small when set up so you don't need a huge space.

Dislikes:
    - The front guy line is always slack. I have to prop it up with a stick.
    - Sometimes it feels like the sloping roof is too close to my face when I lay down.
    - If you don't set it up right, it'll flap very noisily in the wind.
    - It is hard to set it up right. I had to get some personal instruction from Glenn at the pct Kickoff because even after 1500 miles, I still wasn't getting it. But now I get it.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The Contrail.

Here are my likes and dislikes for The One.

- Holds warmth inside really well
    - Very light and a small package
    - Easy to set up once you figure out how
    - It looks like you're going to get wet from the way the front vestibule seems so high, but you don't. It's really weather tight.
    - It's pretty small when set up so you don't need a huge space.

Dislikes:
    - The front guy line is always slack. I have to prop it up with a stick.
    - Sometimes it feels like the sloping roof is too close to my face when I lay down.
    - If you don't set it up right, it'll flap very noisily in the wind.
    - It is hard to set it up right. I had to get some personal instruction from Glenn at the pct Kickoff because even after 1500 miles, I still wasn't getting it. But now I get it.
    I agree with all of the "Likes" listed above. Plus add Good ventilation, so good condensation control.

I agree with all of the "Dislikes" listed above except that I have no problem keeping the front guyline taught, and I don't find it particularly difficult to pitch tightly after a little practice. Watch Glen's video instructions on their website. Add that on the rare occasions when condensation is bad, the slope of the roof tends to deposit said condensation on your face and ankles. This may be a good thing, cause it wakes you up so you can wipe the inside of the tent down. :-)

It has become my go-to tent for the past three years now.

Yeah, I have never had any condensation inside so I had no comment about that.

As for the front, it's not so much the line that isn't tight but that there is no tightness that makes the vestibule tight. So I have to prop a stick to make the vestibule tight.

As for what I was doing wrong setting it up for so long, I underestimated how far to pull the back pole out. I was keeping it somewhat upright. I didn't know it should lean over so far. Now that I pull it way out, it's got a lot more room and doesn't flap so much in a breeze.

Default Ha!

After 3 summers of good service I sold my TT Contrail and got the TT Moment. Once you try that sucker you'll be converted.

Would I rather carry the Moment's extra 5 oz. or carry the Lightheart? No question, I'd carry the Moment. Just too much more useable space in the Moment, including its vestibule for pack storage and foul weather cooking at the same time.

And the aerodynamics of the Moment are superior. I had the Moment in Colorado's Arapaho Pass in late October in 35-45 mph. all night winds and it was extremely stable with no flapping.

"Watch Glen's video instructions on their website"

Lyle, could you post a link to Glen's video on the Contrail. I cant seem to find it . Thanks, Mark S.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    After 3 summers of good service I sold my TT Contrail and got the TT Moment. Once you try that sucker you'll be converted.

Would I rather carry the Moment's extra 5 oz. or carry the Lightheart? No question, I'd carry the Moment. Just too much more useable space in the Moment, including its vestibule for pack storage and foul weather cooking at the same time.

And the aerodynamics of the Moment are superior. I had the Moment in Colorado's Arapaho Pass in late October in 35-45 mph. all night winds and it was extremely stable with no flapping.
    @300winmag, do you have any experience with a TT Rainbow? How does the Moment stack up in terms of ability to handle wind & usable space.

Thanks,

Red Beard

Quote Originally Posted by mark schofield View Post
    "Watch Glen's video instructions on their website"

Lyle, could you post a link to Glen's video on the Contrail. I cant seem to find it . Thanks, Mark S.
    Their video is for The One.

The larger an unsupported panel is , the worst it will be in the wind. (think of sails)
    Some of the above mentioned shelters do have large unsupported and rather flat fabric or mesh panels.
    This is why, for example, the Double Rainbow can deflect multi directional wind better than the Rainbow .
    The Moment, by design, is better than all of the other above mentioned shelters in the wind.
    The two ends are very aerodynamic, however that cross main pole gives the structure lateral strength and splits the wind in two. Note that there are no flat areas on the Moment.
    Franco

Images

The SMD Lunar solo is a excellent and light tent

Default TT Rainbow...

Red,

I have no experience W/a T Rainbow. Just looking at the photos of the Rainbow I'd say the Moment is more aerodynamically designed. And it's lighter than the Rainbow.

Headroom in the Rainbow is likely a bit greater overall but the Moment has very useable headroom, unlike the Contrail.

Images

The Rainbow is considerably bigger than the Moment. It has grommets at each long side that permits using trekking poles vertically to improve stability. It should be at least as good as the Moment in this configuration.

Wallowing in my own filth Mr. Magoo's Avatar

Can anyone tell me how long is each each segment of the collapsed poles on the Rainbow or the Moment?

TIA,
    Chris

They are 19.5" or 20" when folded including the tips.
    Henry Shires can supply a shorter pole, more segments and a bit heavier. I cannot remember the exact size but around 15"
    (I asked that question because I thought that the Moment could be a nice shelter for cyclists...)
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WolfTracker View Post
    Can anyone tell me how long is each each segment of the collapsed poles on the Rainbow or the Moment?

TIA,
    Chris
    usually corresponds w/ the "packed" dimensions,, which shows 21", I believe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Henry Shires can supply a shorter pole, more segments and a bit heavier. I cannot remember the exact size but around 15"
    The carbon fiber struts that form the inverted V ends of the Moment are 18" which would be the minimum packed length even with the shorter pole. I think the struts can be removed (maybe not easily - I've never removed mine) and packed separately. BTW-the optional pole to make the Moment freestanding is 20.25"

I use the Black Diamond Beta Light tarp, with 5-6" of bugnet sewed to the bottom edge, and a sheet of Tyvek for ground cloth. Gives you over 31 sf of space, more than enuff room for a solo hiker, gear, boots inside the tarp. You can rig it many different ways to improve venting and withstand storm conditions.

Highstepper (post 55)
    Good point..
    A two part strut provably would not be that practical.
    This has prompted me to measure some of the poles I use, the shortest is 15" (15.5" with ferrule or tip) and the longest 24"
    Franco

Wallowing in my own filth Mr. Magoo's Avatar

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Chris

I just bought a Nemo Meta 1P.

I have not hiked with it yet - but I set it up in the back yard last night .

I am really impressed.

It is very light and meets all your conditions.

I wanted all the same things you do - light weight, floor, bug protection.

It is really easy to set up ( takes about a minute ).

You can easily sit up in it and the vestibule area is plenty roomy.

It looks like condensation will not be a problem because of the way it is vented.

Nemo really did a good job with this one.

I will be doing a long section hike this summer and it will be in my pack.

Good luck

I want to take this moment, to say that I like my Moment very well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++