WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Needed - UL Mitten Shell

I'm looking for a pair of UL mitten shells. Can anyone recommend a model?

Weight is impt, durability is not. I used to just use plastic bags, but after being caught in 7-days of rain and wind, I wanted something a little better.

I remember seeing something that weighted <1oz (it basically looked like someone had cut tyvek in the shape of their hand).

Thanks-FF

Images

Did I really shell out $45 for these event mitts at Trail Days? I don't have much testing on them yet. The Tyvex like mitts I got from ULA, and they lasted the summer.
    toc

I think the eVent mitts are more durable than the ULAs. I know you (O.P.) said that durability isn't an issue, but for those that find it to be so, OR "Endeavor" mitts have been talked up recently on BPL --- not cheap, but they look to be an interesting mix of pretty light and hopefully pretty durable, for those of us that use trekking poles.

Rather than spend that money what I'm considering for next year is adding nitrile gloves (like surgical gloves) --- basically the Vapor Barrier approach, wearing those under a conventional mitten and I'll bring the eVent mittens that I already have ... but if they don't wear well after a month or two of use, the nitrile gloves are very cheap to replace!

Plastic bread bags actually ain't bad either, IMO ... so long as you don't care about losing style points (function over fashion on the trail, sez I).

I'm currently looking for an overmitt as well. ULA currently doesn't carry the mist overmitt. I emailed them the other day and Casey replied saying: "Unfortunately we have not been able to source materials to continue making the Overmitts. Your email has inspired me to return to the fabric hunt." I'm hoping they'll find something suitable, otherwise I may order some from mountain laurel designs.

I have been happy with my MLD eVent mitts. You have to seam seal the outside which isnt pretty, but who cares about that in hiking gear. Mine weigh 1.1oz after seam sealing.

Etawah outfitters used to make the Propore mitts like ULA, but while I think Propore is durable enough for a jacket, it wouldn't last long in a mit so I think they would be a waste of money plus they weren't any lighter than the MLD ones.

Ceder Tree (the maker of the Packa) used to sell silnylon mitts for a reasonable price. They are not breathable but should be reasonably durable and light. I am not sure if they are still selling them though.

Outdoor Research used to have some really nice Gore-Tex shells a few years ago that were just over an ounce, but they discontinued them, they do sell the Endeavor Mitt which is GT laminated to a heavy 70D shell. They are durable and seam taped, but heavy at 3.9oz and expensive at $70.

The MLD EVent is pretty much what I'm looking for (not cheap, but it's a specialty item).

I didn't see a weight on the Ragged Mountain Armadillo, but from the picture, it looks bulkier.

Thanks-FF

Journal Entries

Default swiss army over mittens

Google -swiss army mittens- cost between $ 4 to $8, plus shipping, 4 or more surplus store offer them. does anyone have first hand info on them.

paclite. from england. gotta transpose to brittish pounds on your card. 67 clams! lightest strongest bestest. matthewski splurge approved. never use em. cause this is the east coast. not cold anymore. okay, sometimes in super cold. like maby 50 times in ,...oh,.....4 years. okay so i love em. but dont thruhike with em. to easy without.
    matthewski

Stuff bags work great, cheap n light. OR....

Make em yourself from SilNy or tent tafetta material if you really want a mitten shape. Trace your mitten with about 1/2" extra all around, make 2. Sew then all around except the hand hole where you can make a hem.

I think the MLD eVent rain mitts are going on sale Saturday starting at 10:00am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
    I think the MLD eVent rain mitts are going on sale Saturday starting at 10:00am.
    Thanks a lot, I just ordered some.

Journal Entries

Default Swiss Army Over Mitt Vs E-vent Over Mitt

Swiss Army Cost $4.00 And Weight Is 3.3 Oz. Mountain Laurel Designs , E Vent Mitt Cost $45.00 But Only 1.2oz.WEIGHT.

Default Durability concerns

I'd appreciate if anyone who consistently uses a pair of trekking poles can talk about how well the MLD eVent mittens last over a lot of miles. I.e., it seems to me that for trekking pole users, there would be wear issues in the ~arch area between the forefinger and thumb.

I'm tentatively planning on bringing the MLD mittens on my thru-hike attempt this coming year, but if it's known that they'll wear out quickly from trekking pole use, then I guess I'd get something like the O.R. Endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I'd appreciate if anyone who consistently uses a pair of trekking poles can talk about how well the MLD eVent mittens last over a lot of miles. I.e., it seems to me that for trekking pole users, there would be wear issues in the ~arch area between the forefinger and thumb.

I'm tentatively planning on bringing the MLD mittens on my thru-hike attempt this coming year, but if it's known that they'll wear out quickly from trekking pole use, then I guess I'd get something like the O.R. Endeavor.
    Well on their website it states: "eVENT 3 Ply ripstop on the high wear palm and thumb front area for durability." and "Not warranted against fabric wear out; but they have lasted many thru-hikers one full trip, your mileage may vary. Going over 3,000miles? Get two pairs... "
    So I would think they should hold up fine for regular use during rain and snow on a thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by rt8877 View Post
    Swiss Army Cost $4.00 And Weight Is 3.3 Oz. Mountain Laurel Designs , E Vent Mitt Cost $45.00 But Only 1.2oz.WEIGHT.
    Did you weigh these on your scale? The websites I saw said 1 pound or 0.5 lbs. Do they seem to be breathable? Have you used them with trekking poles?

Right, I read the same text, but if someone has actual experience ... !
    The text "lasted many thru-hikers one full trip" would be more meaningful if it specified that those hikers were using trekking poles all day and every (including rainy) day.

The swiss army shells certainly are inexpensive, but I doubt they're breathable given this text on one site that sells them: "cotton lined and waterproof sealed".

Images

I used my MLD mitts on the CDT this year, and PCT last year. I had no wear issues, and was quite impressed with just how well they held up on both trips.

Oh yeah...I use hiking poles all day, and in rain/snow.

Hope that helps a little.

I didn't use any gloves until in the north section and just used glove liners. They weigh nothing and still kept my hands warm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++