WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Feminists teach that we are all equal. So why should I treat a woman any different from another man?

But for the record, I think that our society has forgotten how to teach its boys to be gentlemen.
    Would you also concede that it has forgotten how to teach it's young women to be "Lady Like" cause I've seen some things that embarrassed even me, not easy to do.

I thought that my post might restart the whole "things aren't what they used to be" talk. And there was an unintended note of that in my post too. But I'd rather stay away from it - no need for nostalgia, negativity, or wishes. Nostalgia is often biased and likely misrepresents reality. The human mind is pretty poor at accumulating evidence over long stretches of time. Socially I believe we are in a better place now. We just have some new problems. So let's work on them.

I suggest that folks be themselves. Go ahead and date. It's a thing. Treat everyone with respect. Deal with my own problems instead of externalizing them. If someone says no, it means no. If someone says yes it means yes. Maybe means maybe. Honesty with others is important. Honesty with myself is equally important and takes some work. Self awareness is hard. Work at it. Mistakes will happen and that's where forgiveness comes in - asking for it from others and from myself. Be kind to myself and others.

When this point is reached blanket rules aren't needed anymore. Do what is right in each situation.

(I could argue that the rules are internalized but are now flexible enough to suit any situation. I'm not sure about this - I'll have to think about when I have more time. But this is how I discipline for teaching: the consequence suits the crime. I don't have blanket rules set up but I do set expectations. That's the thing about rules: I can guarantee that they will be broken in an unexpected manner.)
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 02-23-2014 at 07:02.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Did I ever tell you about the time I thru-hiked Waikiki beach with the all nude female Swedish backpacking team?
    No, but I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Feminists teach that we are all equal. So why should I treat a woman any different from another man?

But for the record, I think that our society has forgotten how to teach its boys to be gentlemen.
    Cause not all women are feminists....a few still have their heads on straight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Did I ever tell you about the time I thru-hiked Waikiki beach with the all nude female Swedish backpacking team?
    PICS OR IT DIDN"T HAPPEN!!!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Cause not all women are feminists....a few still have their heads on straight.
    This is completely uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    The best meal I had was an older couple that left a sign on the trail inviting hikers to thier house for an exceptional meal. The couple waited on us as in a restaurant, served us well. After the meal he asked for 5 minutes of our time in which he presented his religious message. Only a fool would pass up such a fantastic meal because they had to listen to someone for 5 minutes, and some folks did.
    I agree, it was a fantastic experience! I was also "targeted" at DWG by a church, during my weakest moment mentally, and it turned my hike around. I'm not religious but the genuine kindness that some people exhibit, even if they do want to share their beliefs, I deeply appreciate. Now, for the drunk hiker at DWG that tried to pick a fight with church members he wasn't so much of a gentleman.

Now, as far as hikers being "targeted" for sex. Of course it happens! For example, some of the locals in Hot Springs had hiker fever real bad and I imagine some were probably married. After all, they know the hiker has to keep on hiking so they are not worried. My question is, How does the gentleman's rule apply when offered such "trail magic"? And, are these people "smell blind"?

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    always do the gentleman think, like pistols at dawn

i got guns into the thread
    I'll bring the dog

lab pup.jpg

Images

Make room in the shelter, move your hiking poles, lend out your filter, and remember it is just walking. (Shelters, Hiking Poles, Water Filters and Just Walking now in the thread too)
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Make room in the shelter, move your hiking poles, lend out your filter, and remember it is just walking. (Shelters, Hiking Poles, Water Filters and Just Walking now in the thread too)
    And remember kids, burning your trash is ecologically friendly

firepit trash.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    And remember kids, burning your trash is ecologically friendly

firepit trash.jpg
    Burning your bridges.....not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Burning your bridges.....not so much.
    Some bridges become rickety and unsafe as they age

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Some bridges become rickety and unsafe as they age
    I love those old condemned bridges, they make the best fishing spots with easy access. I caught me a 18" metaphor once, I didn't get a picture tho, so I really can't prove it.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-23-2014 at 16:25.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I love those old condemned bridges, they make the best fishing spots with easy access. I caught me a 18" metaphor once, I didn't get a picture tho, so I really can't prove it.
    Them metaphors can get ya in trouble, especially such a sizable one.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Pink blazing is when a guy hiker does his best to hang out with a female hiker with the intent to hook up with her.
    While the definition changes, since folks are interested in the truth...
    A pink blaze is when a hiker of either sex leaves the trail, delays their trip, or jumps forward or back in pursuit of a romantic encounter.
    It can be as simple as someone taking break to hang out with their significant other.
    It can be as nefarious as getting stuck in a town for a week because you hooked up with the bartender.

It rarely was used to describe interaction with another hiker. A blue blaze is a side trail, a pink blaze is a similar form of distraction. Never meant as a good or bad term.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    While the definition changes, since folks are interested in the truth...
    A pink blaze is when a hiker of either sex leaves the trail, delays their trip, or jumps forward or back in pursuit of a romantic encounter.
    It can be as simple as someone taking break to hang out with their significant other.
    It can be as nefarious as getting stuck in a town for a week because you hooked up with the bartender.

It rarely was used to describe interaction with another hiker. A blue blaze is a side trail, a pink blaze is a similar form of distraction. Never meant as a good or bad term.
    Interesting, I think you need to get the truth out to the rest of the folks on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Interesting, I think you need to get the truth out to the rest of the folks on the trail.
    Yeah. Pink Blazing: Following a girl on the trail, rather than the white blazes. If it meant something else in the distant past, it is a long lost definition.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Oh I realize I'm no current authority, that was the reason for the OP; to find out the current state of affairs on the subject.

So a pink blazer is a hiker stalker these days?
    Seems the need for the topic of discussion isn't dead. My past ain't that distant.

Used to be if you hooked up with a fellow hiker, that's all there was to it. You didn't chase a hiker, and if you did it was likely you'd find trouble for it if the feeling wasn't mutual. The gals had a lot more big brothers around if they needed them.
    Like any other blaze than white, a pink took you off trail, didn't keep you on it chasing your sister.

You better watch out for the game warden if you're fishing out of season.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++