WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

What the difference between the 353 hikers going somewhere between GA and ME and the 105 section hikers? Oh, I think I just answered my own question, 105 of those 353 started on the 1st.

21 dogs, seem to be about average. Good thing most of them won't last long. Same with the barefoot hiker.

In 2 weeks I'll be down there too. It will be interesting to be following behind 1600 (rounding up a little) people. I wonder how trashed the trail, shelters and privies will be?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    In 2 weeks I'll be down there too. It will be interesting to be following behind 1600 (rounding up a little) people. I wonder how trashed the trail, shelters and privies will be?
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm starting NOBO in 1 week and trying to remain positive, but the sheer numbers are overwhelming.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm starting NOBO in 1 week and trying to remain positive, but the sheer numbers are overwhelming.
    Having first hiked the AT in 2013 (1000 miles of it), then repeating the first 280 miles just this March, I can say that the look of the trail is quite different in only 4 short years. It truly is way more crowded and the shelters were completely full and overflowing every night. Perhaps it will have dropped off a bit when you start; we started on March 9th. So basically, I advise even more than before, avoid the shelters! Total zoos last month. One bad thing that won't apply to those starting now: we kept running into huge (10-20 kids) high school and college groups on spring break doing week-long sections, this added greatly to the crowded mess.

And when approaching a town and wanting accommodations, think about booking ahead; we found things to be mostly booked up.

On the actual trail though, no changes in the last 4 years, folks spread out nicely of course, I noticed no difference on trail.

Thanks for the info. Having already completed the Ouachita Trail and a late season Colorado Trail thru hike, camping alone and avoiding shelters is not something I will have a problem with. It's more the signs of impact that I'm going to have to work on not getting me down. Trashed out fire rings, toilet paper blooms, large groups taking a break directly on the trail, audible music. This is what I've experienced in the past, and gets me down. I've gotten better about not letting it effect me, but it's a work in progress.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    .... Trashed out fire rings, toilet paper blooms, large groups taking a break directly on the trail, audible music. ....
    Definitely at a lot if not all of the shelters and popular campsites, like Justice creek (mile 15 on the trail), a real mess in spots, at least as of 3 weeks ago and it could probably only be worse now, but really, on the trail itself, I saw no signs of overuse. It is a BIG trail!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Definitely at a lot if not all of the shelters and popular campsites, like Justice creek (mile 15 on the trail), a real mess in spots, at least as of 3 weeks ago and it could probably only be worse now, but really, on the trail itself, I saw no signs of overuse. It is a BIG trail!
    I've already heard reports of contaminated water at one shelter and noro outbreak.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I've already heard reports of contaminated water at one shelter and noro outbreak.
    If it's a flowing source, how does it become "contaminated" ?? I've no doubt Noro is being passed around through all sorts of contact, but I personally doubt if it has anything to do with a flowing water source. People make assumptions based on emotions.

If it's a flowing source, how does it become "contaminated" ?? I've no doubt Noro is being passed around through all sorts of contact, but I personally doubt if it has anything to do with a flowing water source. People make assumptions based on emotions.
    Not sure which source it was but yes flowing water can be contaminated. Not saying what it was contaminated with. That report was separate from the noro report.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I saw a post on Facebook a couple of weeks ago about contamination somewhere around Gooch gap. Another post followed up saying it was a hoax. Notes were being signed by a "ridge runner" but the ridge runner for that section said it wasn't them.

Images

Not sure which source it was but yes flowing water can be contaminated. Not saying what it was contaminated with. That report was separate from the noro report.
    Flowing water can only become contaminated briefly, like if a guy with the virus was puking his/her guts (or pooping) upstream, hopefully a very rare event. "Contamination" would quickly be washed away. HOW on earth would anyone have any idea that a water source is "contaminated???

Please don't imagine problems. Just don't touch stuff around shelters. I would bet those shelter registers are the #1 source of noro (and other viruses) being passed around.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

After reading the most recent of Mountain Squid's hiker updates, I thought I'd go back and look at the first set of numbers reported in 2006. It's a start contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    To clarify, from 01 APR to 10 APR, I counted 168 “thru” hikers after they summitted Springer as follows:

01 Apr - 29
    02 Apr - 35
    03 Apr - 21
    04 Apr - 18
    05 Apr - 14
    06 Apr - 9
    07 Apr - 10
    08 Apr - 14
    09 Apr - 13
    10 Apr - 5

Again, this does not include “section” hikers. My tick marks for section hikers adds up to only 88 (I know I missed a bunch of them). I only saw one quit on the top of Springer.

I agree with Peaks concerning start dates. If you look at the Class of 2006 (Whiteblaze thru-hikers) you can see when most began their hike. After the second weekend of April, things start slowing down.

I don’t know why most start in March. Not only do you have to take a number to summit, but it is also cold and will likely be cold for another month. I started my hike on 20 APR 04. Had great weather (even in the Smokies) and although it was busy at the shelters (actually, the shelters themselves were mostly empty - most were tenting), they were not over-crowded (except in the Smokies, where, for some reason, 80 Marines were hiking).

See you on the trail,
    mt squid.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Some stats from this year (3/24/17-4/3/17):

493 hikers currently on their way to Maine with 230 starting from FS42 (47%)
    353 hikers currently on their way to somewhere in between GA and ME with 205 starting from FS42 (58%)
    283 day hikers (I'm sure this number is way off ...)
    105 section hikers started on 4/1
    73 thrus started on 4/2
    72 thrus started on 4/1 Saturday
    65 thrus started on 3/28 surprising for a Tuesday
    3 SOBOs finished their hikes - Congrats!

88 yellow tags indicating prior online registration with ATC (I'm sure there were more)
    21 dogs including 1 chihuahua
    11 WhiteBlazers
    9 German hikers
    5 Swiss hikers
    2 from Denmark, Canada and Australia and 1 from England
    2 abandoned backpacks at various places
    2 hikers with one leg and 1 hiker with one arm
    1 barefoot hiker
    1 skateboard - don't ask me?!?
    1 school bus - I guess they made it ok

It was very busy on April 1st, not only did 177 hikers begin their hikes, but 'A Walk in the Woods, part 2' began filming near Stover Creek Shelter ....

No major vehicle problems but one hiker locked his keys in the car. After unsuccessful attempts to open door with cars antenna had to be rescued by parents with spare key. Another vehicle thought he might run out of gas.

Outside Magazine was doing some interviews and research for an article. There was also a couple of photographers taking photos and videos of hikers. They may show up at Trail Days. There was also a 70 mile, 24 hour, race through the mountains nearby. I heard Karl Meltzer came in 3rd...

Saw the typical heavy packs with numerous items dangling from the outside. The lightest claimed weight was 18#.

On 3/24, at 1700, there were 1200 signed in at Amicalola Falls SP. On 4/3, at 1345, 1522 had signed in at Amicalola Falls SP.

Overall it was a good time down in GA. The weather was also typical - several nighttime thunderstorms, very foggy days, low temps were in the 50s (no real cold nights) with a few days in the 70s.

Good Luck and Have Fun everyone! See you in TN and at Trail Days!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

twitter
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I would bet those shelter registers are the #1 source of noro (and other viruses) being passed around.
    I can't count the number of times I've seen on YouTube someone eating while flipping thru the register. Nasty!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The 105 sections hikers listed starting on 4/1 really does surprise me. I have now been down to Georgia to hike twice, once in May and once in Early October. Both of these times of year provided ideal conditions and the the trail had a moderate number of people on it, not empty, but certainly not crowded.

My advice to my fellow section hikers is to avoid Georgia in March and April if possible.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

It is far more common for Norovirus to be spread by contact with people or contaminated surfaces than it is to be contracted through "bad" water.

Unfortunately hand sanitizer is not completely effective against Norovirus, the best advice is for hikers to resort to hand washing using soap and water, and as stated by others above, Avoid things that are heavily handled by others like Log books and picnic tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The 105 sections hikers listed starting on 4/1 really does surprise me. I have now been down to Georgia to hike twice, once in May and once in Early October. Both of these times of year provided ideal conditions and the the trail had a moderate number of people on it, not empty, but certainly not crowded.

My advice to my fellow section hikers is to avoid Georgia in March and April if possible.
    I agree. I have a hard time understanding why someone would start a section hike at this time, especially if they truly want to help reduce the impact of numbers on the trail.
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I agree. I have a hard time understanding why someone would start a section hike at this time, especially if they truly want to help reduce the impact of numbers on the trail.

Obviously...they dont
    For some reason they want to be part of the scene

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Obviously...they dont
    For some reason they want to be part of the scene
    I'm doing a section starting Wednesday and starting from Springer. It's not that I wanted to be "part of the scene." Part of it is my OCD (must do things from the start) but more importantly it was originally to help get my friend back on the trail from last year. She started at HF and hiked about 350 miles. I had originally suggested we start nearer the end of April, I would stick with her 2-4 weeks. She would continue to HF and then flip to K and go SOBO, finishing her hike. Then plans changed. I decided I wanted to try to spend 30 days on trail AND be home for my anniversary. At the same time, her plans changed and she wasn't sure if she was going and we agreed to make our own plans. So I made my plan and then she decided she could go with me. I have no idea if I will do the whole 30 days I planned on or how far I will make it. I really miss my husband when we are apart. No idea how long she will hike either or if she will attempt to complete the trail this year as she has so many new things going on in her life.

Images

We're starting a section Saturday. Why? Because it's when I can get the time off work. Yeah, it'll be crowded. OK. Done the GA section three times now, twice in March and once in June, and there are always people out.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I started 4/2. It was great to meet Mountain Squid finally. Really great guy!

To clear up the Norovirus issue-I'm currently off trail due to contracting it. Everyone but one in the group of six I'm with is doubled over the toilet right now. I know of an additional 4 people who are in Neel Gap with the same. We all think is was from the trail magic at Woody Gap on Tuesday as that is the only common denominator. Some are saying it was the water buffalo at Cooper Gap but nobody from my group got water from there. I think it's really easy to place blame on water, but I truly believe it was the mass gathering of hikers with dirty hands digging into food and signing their register (interestingly the one person who is not sick did not sign the register).

I have heard what having Norovirus feels like but hopefully you'll never have to experience it. At 3am all I wanted to do was die. It is the worst. It sucks this happened so early into my hike but I'm still pumped to get to Maine. On the plus side, the weather hasn't been ideal so by the time I'm back hiking, it'll be sunny.

I started April 19th, 2015. The trail was very clean (surprisingly from what I've read on here) and while the shelters had a few people in them, they weren't crowded by any means. I hike fairly fast and passed a few "crowds" of the party animals trying to get to Damascus. Still, nothing to be concerned about. This year I'm headed out on the 11th (5 days to go woohoo!!!) and suspect the trail should be about in the same condition. Haven't heard too much on Noro or anything crazy yet, but taking proper precautions. I'll filter more (I hardly filtered last time and got lucky) and hand sanitizer, etc... As for the crowds, I didn't experience too much but maybe my definition is different than others. Never could I not stay in a shelter except in the Smokies, but it was clean and organized. Hopefully this year is the same.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++