WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do I really need a pack rain cover?

I backpack when I can, right now I am accumulating gear for thru hike...three years out...

Do I really need a rain cover for my hike? If the things I'm really concerned with are waterproofed inside my pack, then should I bother outside?

Have considered a blaze orange one for safety during hunting season...but ...your opinion?

Thanks
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?!

I mostly curse mine. Next long distance hike I'm leaving it home.

My raingear is a poncho, which fits over me _and_ my pack, eliminating the need for a seperate pack cover.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Walkie View Post
    I backpack when I can, right now I am accumulating gear for thru hike...three years out...

Do I really need a rain cover for my hike? If the things I'm really concerned with are waterproofed inside my pack, then should I bother outside?

Have considered a blaze orange one for safety during hunting season...but ...your opinion?

Thanks
    No, you can use a trash compactor bag inside your pack to keep your gear dry or use a Packa.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Like Skids suggested, I too use a trash compactor bag inside my pack. Didn't want to spend over $20 for a pack liner. But I'd also recommend a pack cover. One reason is that nothing really is waterproof, only water resistant. If you're caught in constant heavy rains for extended periods, then water can eventually find its way into your pack. This happened to me. A liner & cover will eliminate any problems. Together, they way mere ounces. I feel it's worth it. Hope that helps. Good luck preparing for your TH.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I use one though I admit it does wet out eventually.

It's great for short showers or a light drizzle especially if it's close to the end of the day. I put my pack in my tent with me and when it's wet that kinda sucks.

One thing that I do like about it is that I can take my pack off and put it on the ground when it's raining without my pack getting muddy.

You can make a pack cover from a heavy-duty black lawn and leaf bag. Those things are made to have sticks put in them so they are strong and can withstand brushing up against plants on the trail. Just cut two holes at the top for your shoulder straps. Then tuck in all the excess bag behind your back or however you can so it doesn't make a lot of noise as you walk.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I use a trash compactor bag inside my pack AND rain cover outside...I use the rain cover even when it's not raining..why? It helps to protect an expensive pack with a much less expensive cover....It also protects my pack from UV damage over the years...so..the cover gets uv damage..It's much cheaper than the back pack..And the 2 or 3 ounce weight won't kill anybody..just my opinion...

I go with a trash bag as a pack liner. It keeps the rain off your gear and, if you have a bladder in your pack and it should somehow leak, your clothes, bag and gear stay dry since it is not inside it.

This IS NOT ONLY but very often another decision based on saving wt.

Do I really need a rain cover for my hike? If the things I'm really concerned with are waterproofed inside my pack, then should I bother outside? - Uncle Walkie

Do you not mind your backpack getting wet and possibly absorbing more water without a rain cover? Based on what you said and if the answer is no then you probably don't need a rain cover.

I carry a rain cover often or when I think rain is a definite possibility because I DO depend on carrying non or marginally WP items in outside pocket storage areas of my pack. If I know there is a great chance of prolonged or heavy rains or if I was thruing, say the Pacific Northwest Trail, I might even elect to carry a pack liner AND a pack cover.

If you're caught in constant heavy rains for extended periods, then water can eventually find its way into your pack. This happened to me. A liner & cover will eliminate any problems. Together, they way mere ounces. I feel it's worth it. Hope that helps. Good luck preparing for your TH. - Pilgrim

Ditto.

Images

I actually have really good results with mine - it's a sea to summit. It is of course still important to keep things that should be kept dry in dry bags inside your pack. I also keep a little piece of tyvek at the bottom of my pack - it keeps water from wicking in when I set it down

aka Kudzu
    Images

I have the JRB cover which has multiple uses. Unfortunately on the last hike it became a funnel after a while and just directed the water down my neck.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

My poncho is made to cover my pack and that's enough for me.

Default pack cover?

you want all the protection you can get. Line inside of pack with one or even two layers of trash bag and also use pack cover (unless you have a poncho that covers your pack). If you don't use a pack cover.. the pack material will soak and be heavier.

That said, a pack cover on it's own is absolutely NOT adequate. Water will find its way in.

David

For those concerned with weight:

I am willing to bet the water absorbed in a soggy pack weighs more than a pack cover. A typical pack cover weighs 4oz, thats only half a cup of water. Your pack will easily absorb much more than that. Of course, for long dry spells, your carrying an extra 4oz.

As others have already said, it's still a good idea to bag some things inside your pack, but I consider a pack cover one of the MUST haves. On more than one occassion when rain actually felt good, the pack cover was the only rain gear that I was using.

It is my humble opinion that, except in a narrow temperature range, the real purpose of raingear is not to keep you dry, but to keep you warm. Sweat will make your clothes just as wet as rain will.

Images

Do I really need a rain cover for my hike?
    No, you do not "really" need a rain cover. As several have said also, I use a trash compactor bag instead. It's a multi-use item, besides.

I have a Gregory pack cover that I used for about a year, then retired it. If anyone would like it, I'll mail it to them. It's blue and fits my Gregory Reality pack.

I made several of these for just that purpose. To me, it's a great idea.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use both. Also depends on your pack. I had my gregory out for 15 minutes in a solid rain during my TV interview without a pack cover and it was soaked through with the inside contents damp. I wouldn't take the chance and the ultralights weigh little.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I actually have really good results with mine - it's a sea to summit. It is of course still important to keep things that should be kept dry in dry bags inside your pack. I also keep a little piece of tyvek at the bottom of my pack - it keeps water from wicking in when I set it down
    Neat suggestion on the tyvek, never thought of that.

I have a Sea to Summit too, used in in wet PA for the first time, love it

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I use one. It's orange, so it's a part-time multitasker. I also use a compactor bag inside my pack, so, yeah, it's probably overkill.

I also used the pack cover to keep the cold wind off of the spot I was sleeping in Thomas Knob Shelter last October when they were doing repairs and put up a new log wall but hadn't yet sealed it up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++