WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Google SuperCat stove, it's the easiest stove going because it's stove and pot stand all in one. For a windscreen, go a little heavier than foil and get a disposable oven drip pan from Wally World or equivalent. Still cuttable with scissors, more durable than foil.
    youlikethis_small.png

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I currently own a jet boil ... Any recommendations on ... a titanium pot?
    You can use your JetBoil pot with an alcohol stove such as the SuperCat or any other stove designed for a narrow diameter pot. It works really well, though you'd likely wish to slip off the neoprene sleeve before you use it that way. I have used my JetBoil pot with my SuperCat many a time and always remove the sleeve because I'm super cautious like that. You can stick your hand into the sleeve and use it as a hot mitt to remove the pot from the stove. The pots are pretty light weight for what they are and are comparable to titanium pots, when you remove the fixin's (sleeve, JetBoil stove, rubber lid).

I'm in the "why spend extra money for something you already have" headspace, so I thought I'd offer the above advice in case you are in that same headspace.

Journal Entries
    Images

I forget - which alcohol stove has the adjuster with a wire for simmer? It's on my Christmas List.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I forget - which alcohol stove has the adjuster with a wire for simmer? It's on my Christmas List.
    Packafeather

Journal Entries
    Images

I wouldn't recommend a supercat for cabbage. I think it might be the best for just boiling water though.
    David Smolinski

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd recommend a Caldera Cone.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Brasslite Turbo 1D???
    No, but I have a "naked" (no pot stand or simmer ring on it) Turbo 1 stove. It's tall and needs a tall or wide pot to store it in unless you're willing to trust wrapping a windscreen around it for protection somewhere else in your pack. Boil time (after experimenting with many pot stand heights) is a bit slower than a Supercat which, of course is low, making it relatively stable for its small base, and saving weight in your pack (marginally) by requiring you to carry a shorter windscreen than many other alcy stoves.
    Sit on top, side burner, non-pressurized aluminum (more efficient, thermally, than other metals, including titanium and brass) are the way to go unless you want to simmer, and even then, there are ways to make that happen.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Packafeather
    Here: http://packafeather.com/

It's probably worth a look for folks not wanting to experiment with fuel measuring and simmer rings required to make the most of the Supercat.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Also, this is a good method of putting out stoves. Use a small plastic funnel to recover any fuel.

David Smolinski

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Cabbagehead! Cool!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries

The problem with aluminum foil windscreens is they blow around

I use a large tealight cup. Holds 1.1 fl oz (.9oz) alcohol when filled aobut 1/8" from top
    Use a wire mesh pot stand, large enough to fit around a styrofoam coffe cup. This is because I store 2 foam cups inside my pot for coffee.
    Al flashing windscreen. Made to hook together in a circle and fit in the pot. Tabs along the top are bent inward to touch the side of the pot. THis centers it and keeps it from blowing around in the wind.
    1.3 L evernew pot.

Boils 4 cups of water on 0.9 oz (wt) of alcohol. Boils 2 cups on 0.6.

With the tealight cup, after lifting the pot off, moving the stand, just take the pot bottom and place over the stove to snuff the flame. then recover leftover alcohol. Cannot to that with a supercat.

Supercat is notoriously innefficient. Fast, wild flames, but innefficient.

Images

I'm a poor old man and I make good stoves that can cook cabbage.

http://www.zelphs-stoveworks.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The problem with aluminum foil windscreens is they blow around

Well, the reason I started using a tin foil windscreen was because the aluminum flashing one that came with my "Mama's Kitchen" blew away one winter evening. On top of the snow, it just kept going and I couldn't find it.

Been using a three-layer foil screen for several years now. They work great, are light and more compact than flashing. Just replace once a month or so.

https://www.minibulldesign.com/ProductCart/pc/shownewarrivals.asp check this out!!! Excellent Alcohol stoves!!!

Default mini build design alcohol stove

Really like the looks of this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvmJ...re=fvwrel&NR=1

google minibuildesign alcohol stove....

Really worth looking at...continuous fuel feed...that seems a plus.

Journal Entries
    Images

any other cabbage only cookers out there?
    David Smolinski

As for snuffing the flame and recovering fuel with most alcohol stoves all you need to do is to have a "snuffer" that just slides onto the burner , so not too small but not too large either.
    No need to pour water on it as it will snuff the flame almost instantly and those stoves cool down pretty fast.
    You can see how I do it for the White Box and the Caldera Cone stove in this clip:

about 2 min and 20s in
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    If you don't want to build one there's always the Trangia. Very durable, can store unused alcohol in the stove, simmer ring available, can be purchased along with pots & etc as a kit.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-Mini-C...ywords=trangia
    The home made cat stoves suck - too much fiddling to get them to work in the field. The Trangia burner is a best of breed burner design - always works, and no fiddling required. If you want to play - build a cat. If you want to cook - use a Trangia.

Here is another way to use a trangia. And another. The only sideburner I use and would recommend for a gram weenie is the Whitebox.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    The home made cat stoves suck - too much fiddling to get them to work in the field. ...
    ????

Pour in alcohol. Light with match. Set up windscreen, Put on pot. Too much fiddling? I don't get it.

Journal Entries

cheap, easy, reliable solution. The bent piece of metal in the tealight cup is engineered carefully to speed up the burn rate of alcohol so the bloom covers bottom of pot. holes are to pick it out with tent stake so can snuff flame. Did I mention it will boil 4 cups on 0.9 oz, and 2 on 0.6 oz? You can pay more, but you really cannot improve performance.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.JPG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++