WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Nevados Boots?

Question Nevados Boots?

I am thinking about trading in my trail runners for a pair of Nevados Fissure Mid WP Hiker boots. Currently Amazon has no reviews for this boot, and my local store has it priced at $69. I see one old thread on WB related to the Nevados line of boots, but it doesn't really give much info...

Old thread is here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...hlight=nevados

Here is Amazon's page with details on the boot I am considering: http://www.amazon.com/Nevados-Fissur.../dp/B008Z9XIPC

I would be using them for section hikes in the Southern Mtns of the AT. My pack weight is ~29 lbs with water. I hate to buy cheap boots; I realize that cutting corners or costs on your feet is less than ideal, but my budget is forcing me to make some decisions.

Any experiences with this brand of boots?

Images

If you want to buy this boot because you think it will last longer than trail runners, you'll likely be disappointed because this has an EVA midsole just like trail runners.

Thanks for that point.

My real motivation was ankle support and the "waterproof" claim. My last outing was a mixture of sogginess and near-ankle twists to the point that I promised myself I would not go back without boots. I splurged on a new pack, so now I can't buy the Merrill or Keen boots that I'd prefer. This is my line of reasoning...

Several years ago, I bought a pair of Nevados Boots from Sports Authority. They were full leather, and the same height and price range, and "waterproof". I didn't do long hikes in them, but they were my daily wear for the 6~7 months they lasted. I normally wear out a pair of boots in that time frame anyway, and I don't recall them as lasting any longer or any shorter than other boots I bought for daily wear in that price range. At that time, I worked full-time as a downhill bicycle tour guide, and wore them in weather conditions ranging from hot/dry to near-freezing and pouring rain. I also wore them on the occasional hike (usually hot/dry/dusty and 5 miles or less). When riding the bike in the rain, if I had my knee up, the rain pants ended right above my boot and the water poured in from the top, so my feet were soaked anyway. Walking through the occasional puddle, my feet stayed dry. I think I used the stock insoles, but may have also used some Dr Scholl arch support insoles. Bottom line, they were not expensive or fancy, so I did not have high expectations of them....and that is exactly what I got. Reasonably comfortable, reasonably durable, reasonably priced. Nothing bad to say, but also nothing really to praise.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

I don't see the exact model you mentioned [Nevados Fissure Mid WP Hiker boots], but 6PM.com, which I found through my favorite website (www.dealnews.com) has a variety of Nevados, all at seemingly good prices with FREE shipping. They have Nevados Fissure Low. From my experience, they have limited size availability. Here's the link:

http://www.6pm.com/nevados-men-shoes~1?zfcTest=sbb%3A0
    136 contiguous miles of MD + rocky PA-AT down, but 2042 miles to go

No boot will truly be waterproof, goretex, keen-dry or other proprietary name. This is the same as saying rainwear is breathable. You will sweat and it will get trapped by material. This has been my experience with both types of gear.

If your pack weight is 29 pounds with water, trail runners are a great option since you are not packing a heavy load. Section hikes in the southern mountains of the AT? Are you refereing to Georgia and NC ?

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    If your pack weight is 29 pounds with water, trail runners are a great option since you are not packing a heavy load. Section hikes in the southern mountains of the AT? Are you refereing to Georgia and NC ?
    Yes on GA and NC - with a bit of TN and VA too; I am trying to complete all the miles south of Damascus in sections before I entertain any thoughts of a longer hike. I hear you on the trail runners, but I think I am ready to try a few sections in boots. I really like my trail runners, but the sogginess from morning dew and near ankle-twists have me seeking out another option.

Thanks for the link, Disco - will bookmark that one

and thanks for the report, Maui Rhino - that was exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. Reasonable price and reasonable expectations for an unremarkable boot that was completely functional over a standard lifespan. Sounds good to me!

Barring one of you posting a Nevados Boot horror story today, I think I will pull the trigger today and move on to the next item on my list of gear upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Yes on GA and NC - with a bit of TN and VA too; I am trying to complete all the miles south of Damascus in sections before I entertain any thoughts of a longer hike. I hear you on the trail runners, but I think I am ready to try a few sections in boots. I really like my trail runners, but the sogginess from morning dew and near ankle-twists have me seeking out another option.

Thanks for the link, Disco - will bookmark that one

and thanks for the report, Maui Rhino - that was exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. Reasonable price and reasonable expectations for an unremarkable boot that was completely functional over a standard lifespan. Sounds good to me!

Barring one of you posting a Nevados Boot horror story today, I think I will pull the trigger today and move on to the next item on my list of gear upgrades.
    you might consider ankle brace(s) and trail runners. You would get better ankle support and the lighter shoe advantage. the aircast a-60 is a favorite right now. I use the top part of the "active ankle T1" and that seems to be all I need.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    you might consider ankle brace(s) and trail runners. You would get better ankle support and the lighter shoe advantage. the aircast a-60 is a favorite right now. I use the top part of the "active ankle T1" and that seems to be all I need.
    Very few people should be relying on ankle braces (or worse, high-top boots thinking they offer additional support) unless they are coming off of a recent injury. You would be much better served with a disciplined regimen of ankle/calf strengthening and improved proprioception -- amazing the difference after a month of toe-ups, heel-walks, and one-leg closed-eye balancing.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I just recently did a large section of Georgia and NC, and I wore out my Keen Targhees. I'm looking for a new midlevel boot as well. I personally would not feel comfortable using trail runners for the same reasons that you mentioned. I brought that up as a good idea because no boot is truly waterproof, and that they might dry out faster.

Terrain wise, I feel more comfortable in a midlevel boot. Especially in that area.

I just want one that will last and not putz out after 500 miles or so. I'm just not certain ordering a boot that you have never tried on before is a good idea. your feet are your wheels, and blisters suck!! Seen too many people with butchered feet there and elsewhere, and have to quit.

Default after all that, I found a Merrell mid WP boot on sale...

After all that, I found a sales rep at Sports Authority who would give me 20% off, so I went with the Merrill Yokota WP Mid Hiking boot. It fit like a glove from minute one. While it has the EVA sole as well, it also has air cushions and a much more substantial looking base/grip to the shoe.

I tried on the Nevados boot initially mentioned in the thread. Not bad, but I could literally feel the pattern of the carpet in the department store through the thin EVA sole. For ten extra dollars, I feel that I got a much better option...

Again, a sincere thanks for helping me reason through making the best possible informed decision. I felt thankful for WB last week as I sloshed through large expanses of mud along the TN/NC border with dry feet.

Some say computers haven't enriched our lives, but they certainly have made it easier to make well-informed purchasing decisions.

++ New Posts ++