Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

I suppose that the video editing might have something to do with the confusion.
    Sooner or later SC will reappear in Idyllwild. Or Palm Springs.
    👍😄
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It still doesn’t explain the apparent departure from Julian on the closed snow covered road up to the PCT and a return to a snow covered Julian when he stayed at a different accommodations. Complete with a fireplace and afternoon tea.
    And no video evidence of his visit to Warner Springs.
    I know I’m old, but I still have a few of my marbles.
    Wayne
    I believe his first visit to Julian was from the Sunrise Highway. The second trip to Julian was from Scissors Crossing.
    Warner Springs still lies ahead on his videos, but I believe he actually reached there over a week ago based on a picture I saw on FB of hm standing in front of eagle rock. This is all time delayed.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Images

I am not worried about him until the warm weather hits the Southern California. When the heat hits the SoCal his hike is over.
    I am not sure he is in enough good shape to climb a peak like San Jacinto regardless of the snow level. It is around 9000 feet high on PCT and he is from Florida and overweight and inexperienced.
    the notion that he has a great spirit and almost child like reaction does not make any difference when the reality of the harsh trail shows its face,does it? 100 degrees Fahrenheit is 100 degrees regardless of the amount of joy a hiker may get from the trail.
    I am enjoying following him like anybody else but I am also concerned about him for now and worried when the warm weather begins.

It's sad that people can not be more positive. This guy seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, he knows he's overweight and out of shape. He has a great attitude. He's willing to take advice and get off the trail when he needs to do it to be safe. If he stayed on the trail when it is cold or rainy then people would say he is behaving dangerously because he is inexperienced, if he gets off the trail then some deride him because he gets off the trail when the conditions get a little tough. His condition and stamina are improving. He does not carry the negativity and cynicism that some of you display here. He will learn how to deal with weather if he does not get injured and he is doing it just the right way, in little bits. The last time I saw it mentioned, he had lost 35 pounds and that was relatively quickly. Yep, he loaded up on junk food. He might figure that out as he goes but show me that 9 out of 10 hikers don't eat crap and show me where the resupply points are with the healthy hiker food in abundance- light calories are often contained in that crap so people justify it that way. Don't even get me going on the insinuation that because some can't figure out his video timelines that he is not doing the trail as he says he is. Disgusting. There certainly people out there doing the vlogging for attention, creating drama and yellow blazing and lying about it but there is not one scrap of suggesting that this is what this fellow is all about. I love these videos because this guy is not guarded, he seems impervious to the people who judge him for everything and set him up for failure right off the bat ,as can be seen right here in this thread. Why not look for the positive instead of the negative? This guy has already done more than many.
    Last edited by sketcher709; 03-18-2019 at 08:26.

I don't think his goal is to be a thru hiker. He first said his goal is to lose 200 pounds.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher709 View Post
    It's sad that people can not be more positive. This guy seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, he knows he's overweight and out of shape. He has a great attitude. He's willing to take advice and get off the trail when he needs to do it to be safe. If he stayed on the trail when it is cold or rainy then people would say he is behaving dangerously because he is inexperienced, if he gets off the trail then some deride him because he gets off the trail when the conditions get a little tough. His condition and stamina are improving. He does not carry the negativity and cynicism that some of you display here. He will learn how to deal with weather if he does not get injured and he is doing it just the right way, in little bits. The last time I saw it mentioned, he had lost 35 pounds and that was relatively quickly. Yep, he loaded up on junk food. He might figure that out as he goes but show me that 9 out of 10 hikers don't eat crap and show me where the resupply points are with the healthy hiker food in abundance- light calories are often contained in that crap so people justify it that way. Don't even get me going on the insinuation that because some can't figure out his video timelines that he is not doing the trail as he says he is. Disgusting. There certainly people out there doing the vlogging for attention, creating drama and yellow blazing and lying about it but there is not one scrap of suggesting that this is what this fellow is all about. I love these videos because this guy is not guarded, he seems impervious to the people who judge him for everything and set him up for failure right off the bat ,as can be seen right here in this thread. Why not look for the positive instead of the negative? This guy has already done more than many.
    Two thumbs up on the quoted post!
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

........... His condition and stamina are improving. ........... The last time I saw it mentioned, he had lost 35 pounds and that was relatively quickly. ...........
    You can tell from his videos that he is getting in better shape as he goes along. At first he couldn't walk and talk at the same time or he was out of breath but now he can do both. I believe it took him 3 days to go 7.5 miles at the beginning and in the last video he covered 11 miles in one day. I bet he feels better than he has in a long time both physically and about himself as a person and he is enjoying the heck out of doing it. He is accomplishing a goal he set for himself and that may go a long way toward giving him the confidence that he can control his weight when he is off the trail. I wish him well.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 03-18-2019 at 11:11.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

One does not have to hike a mountain in one take. He can hike until he feels he's done and then try to find a place to pitch his tent or cowboy camp if the weather forecast is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I am not worried about him until the warm weather hits the Southern California. When the heat hits the SoCal his hike is over.
    I am not sure he is in enough good shape to climb a peak like San Jacinto regardless of the snow level. It is around 9000 feet high on PCT and he is from Florida and overweight and inexperienced.
    the notion that he has a great spirit and almost child like reaction does not make any difference when the reality of the harsh trail shows its face,does it? 100 degrees Fahrenheit is 100 degrees regardless of the amount of joy a hiker may get from the trail.
    I am enjoying following him like anybody else but I am also concerned about him for now and worried when the warm weather begins.
    Let me go

Default Second Chance Hiker Takes on the PCT: 200 lbs Overweight

I initially was concerned for him but then I saw he had some pretty darn good gear, from what I learned watching Dixie & Darwin’s, among others, vids & he seems to be put safety paramount my only concern was him getting enough water but seeing he is in the desert in winter there seems to be more water than there is it other times of the year. There was actually a Good sized, running stream on one of his videos. His videos are easy to watch because they all seem to be under 10 minutes So I’m up-to-date and watch them as they are released

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TwigBoy; 03-18-2019 at 13:38.

You, sir, are the man. Great comment

Absolutely! '
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

It's sad that people can not be more positive.
    Amen to that.

Obesity is rampant in the US and spreading to other parts of the world. This guy is taking a novel approach to getting a handle on the problem. He scored points in my book early on when he was out of water and happened to encounter a couple of day hikers. He did not ask for water. He "owns" his journey and learns from his mistakes. This won't be the final answer, but a move in the right direction. More power to him.

Cool

Episode 19 is on YouTube.
    The movie mentioned in the video:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremors_(film)
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 03-18-2019 at 20:25.

Ahhh, just checking in to see what condescending judgements have been handed down from the HMHDI crowd this week.

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    Ahhh, just checking in to see what condescending judgements have been handed down from the HMHDI crowd this week.
    Damn, that was a quality post by mr. mags, never seen it before, thanks for sharing, gave me my smiles for the day.

Images

The way I see it, he's out on the trail, I'm here in my cubicle. Who am I to judge?

I sincerely hope he makes it to Canada.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by randy.shopher View Post
    I don't think his goal is to be a thru hiker. He first said his goal is to lose 200 pounds.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    If this guy drops 200 on trail I'll buy him a new backpack and a beer of his choosing and salute him among a crowd! Test me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If this guy drops 200 on trail I'll buy him a new backpack and a beer of his choosing and salute him among a crowd! Test me.
    He'll more likely need a new set of cloths....

Backpacks and beer are more to my liking.

A few band-aids would be in order. He had another postholing episode on San Jacinto. He’s okay. A few minor scrapes on some rocks.
    Wayne

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++