WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What's Lighting Your Way?

Just checked out this subforum and realize there hasnt been any posts in a long time here.

So What Light is Everyone Using these days?

Pros, Cons, Buy or Burn?

I will say I have a couple Princeton Tec Vizz Headlamps that Ive used for years neither of them are the higher lumen one they offer these days the Vizz 400 lumen. I bought them back then because they were at the time the only headlamp that could consistently run lithiums without frying the electronics. Not an issue Now at all. I will say I really like the Vizz it just does what it's suppose to do. I like running it on Lithiums they just store better and run better in my opinion. I tried rechargeables Rayovacs and man are they junk they go dead quick and dont hold a charge for now for more than a day before going dead.

I've used the Vizz as a bike light just removed the strap and attached it to my stem with 2 ranger bands. It works very well in that regard.

Down side is that the switch can be finicky to get the setting you want. Like trying to get into Red mode can be a real bear sometimes especially if you dont remember the button presses required.

I'm liking some of the new lights I've been seeing that actually have seperate switches for red and white light modes. Even seen a rechargeable Ozark Trail 300 lumen model that offer that for under $25. I may have to give this headlamp a try.

But thought I might bring this subforum back up into conversation and See whatchya all got goin.
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Leonidas

I have used the Nitecore NU25 for the past couple of years and it has been great! Very lightweight, the charge lasts for weeks if not months depending on use. USB rechargeable so I can replenish it if needed on trail from my battery bank.
    It randomly goes on sale for <$25 and the normal price is around $35. It has separate buttons for red light and "normal" also has a CRI setting.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I have used the Nitecore NU25 for the past couple of years and it has been great! Very lightweight, the charge lasts for weeks if not months depending on use. USB rechargeable so I can replenish it if needed on trail from my battery bank.
    It randomly goes on sale for <$25 and the normal price is around $35. It has separate buttons for red light and "normal" also has a CRI setting.
    I've owned a gaggle of good headlamps over the decades, and I have to say this NU25 is my all time favorite, best lumens per gram as far as I can tell (with alternate UL strap) and excellent battery life, plus other nice features. We'll see how it holds up, but so far so good after about a month plus of hiking this fall.

Thrunite Ti3 single AAA battery flashlight with lithium batteries.

thom

Journal Entries

I have not found much difference in quality and experience between the high prices ones and the el-cheapo ones. As I have several I just chose the one that I can find at a particular moment.

Default My Experience with NU25 Headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I've owned a gaggle of good headlamps over the decades, and I have to say this NU25 is my all time favorite, best lumens per gram as far as I can tell (with alternate UL strap) and excellent battery life, plus other nice features. We'll see how it holds up, but so far so good after about a month plus of hiking this fall.
    Purchased an NU25 this summer. It was a pleasure to use. Nice headlamp for night hiking. It did everything it was supposed to do. After a couple of weeks, the headlamp started to behave erratically (unit was taken care of & never immersed in water). Next thing I knew, it wasn't working at all. My mistake was buying it from an unauthorized dealer. Thankfully, Walmart.com was receptive.

That being said, my plan is to replace the headlamp with a new NU25 because I really like this product. Nitecore does not have a big presence in the US, so it will be ordered from an authorized dealer.
    Last edited by Recalc; 11-28-2019 at 14:10.

I have the second generation BD Ion and love it. The Ion was essentially written off after the first gen came out due to some design flaws but the second gen fixed those flaws and for me it’s just about perfect. All in, it weighs 1.8oz (with factory headstrap and batteries installed). It has a red light and the white light has an adjustable dimmer. You can lock the headlamp in the off position to keep it from coming on in your pack/pocket. I can get a long life off of one set of batteries, in which I don’t even carry a spare set (just use cell phone if needed).

When I compared the Ion and the Nitecore- factoring in features, price, headband comfort, and battery options, there is nothing the Nitecore can do that the Ion can’t. Saving scant ounces for more money in this category wasn’t worth it to me.

The only time I need a headlamp is in the winter, but I don't like the white light as the snow reflects it back and kills my night vision.

So I modified a headlamp by putting a high intensity Green LED in it, and made a special battery pack with electronics to varry the brightness. I have four levels of brightness to choose from depending on conditions.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Litesmith version of the Nitecore NU25 for the AT and as my primary headlamp. Petzl AAA for nightime excursions in the White Mtns. Played with a thrunite Ti3 on a yoyo of the MSG but I like the headlamp better.

Going forward I'll continue to use the NU25 unless doing sketchy stuff or lots of night hiking is planned.

If you head over the Princeton Tec site, they have a promo for a free SNAP Light. All you have to do is sign up for their newsletter.
    Got mine today and its bright. The box says 200 lumen but the site states 300. Its free so what?

Either ThruNite TH20 headlamp or Fenix E12 handheld -both single AA flashlights.

Thanks for that link. I signed up and shared it with a number of friends. Awesome!
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Litesmith version of the Nitecore NU25 for the AT and as my primary headlamp...Going forward I'll continue to use the NU25 unless doing sketchy stuff or lots of night hiking is planned.
    ^^^Agreed.

As a former "flashaholic", I'm not a fan of NiteCore as a brand, but a friend sent me a NU25 a while back. I've carried it to "test", and used it for night hiking a couple of times, when a campsite was unexpectedly taken, and when a late start had me getting into camp >2hrs after sunset. Maybe 3hrs of hiking, total, all in Medium. It's definitely usable for that, though far from ideal, due to the concentrated spot.
    I would never choose it as a dedicated night hiking headlamp(Floody Zebralights with neutral emitters and replaceable batteries all the way, there), but being so light and tiny, and rechargeable, it's fine for normal backpacking use, where you're usually in camp by dark. No batteries to worry over, and a good spread on the levels.
    The high beam is great for locating a good spot in a campsite, or when you need to see a way across a stream or something. The medium is plenty for hiking, the low for around camp, and the high CRI flood for inside a tent.
    I think of it as my "real backpacking trip" light, as opposed to shorter ones where weight and bulk aren't an issue. A little keychain light would often be "enough", if less convenient, and I always carry something along those lines for a backup.

BatteryJunction has the NU25 on sale for $27.71 right now...
    Last edited by OwenM; 12-04-2020 at 19:52.

I don't hike at night, so I rarely used a flashlight. I was usually in bed by dark. I carried a cheap 3 AAA amazon headlamp $20 and a small single AAA flashlight Thrunite Ti3 $15. I also carried 4 spare lithium AAA's. I only needed to change batteries in the headlight once in 1200 miles and still on the original battery for the Thrunite Ti3.
    Unless your going to do any night hiking, you don't need much.

Edit -- Just realized this thread is from last year.
    Last edited by Nanatuk; 12-04-2020 at 22:24.

Images

The Petzl e+LITE https://www.petzl.com/US/EN/Sport/CL...amps/ePLUSLITE is my primary headlight. It may be as light (weight-wise) as you can go. It works great for me around camp after dark. For night hiking, you will probably want more power at the cost of weight.

I hate headlamps, carry a flashlight. Everyone with a headlamp no matter how considerate constantly blasts people in the face with them.
    Dont use white lite on trail at all and keep white light to a minimum, and watch where you are shining it.

Knog Bilby. No cord USB charging. Silicon strap, very comfortable. Bright.

I have to add another vote for the NU25! It is awesome! I wanted to get a headlamp with red light AND USB rechargeable. the NU25 is about the only option and its under $30! IMO it sets the bar for headlamps. It is also true the headband weights just as much as the light unit. I went to Walmart and got a wide hair tie headband thing in the Womens hair care area, works perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    I hate headlamps, carry a flashlight. Everyone with a headlamp no matter how considerate constantly blasts people in the face with them.
    Dont use white lite on trail at all and keep white light to a minimum, and watch where you are shining it.
    I am always conscious of that.. it drives me crazy. I typically turn my light off or at least to red when talking to people and in camp. I recently backpacked to a fairly busy spot, I counted 15 tents within visual distance of me. Anyhow at night it was very humorous to see people with their headlamps on what must have been full brightness! it was like a laser light show lol..

Journal Entries
    Images

My primary is the Zebralight H52w and been using mine since 2016. It's no longer available and H53w replaced it I think. I paired it up with a Fenix ARB-L14-1600U USB Rechargeable AA Li-ion Battery. Loving this pairup!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Surefire makes a very light, very bright, very expensive headlamp. Same expensive battery as my UV water filter.

Pelican makes good stuff as well.
    Be Prepared

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++