WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I should have added:
    Distance: around 30 miles
    Duration:2.5-3 days
    Season: Strictly winter
    I guess if you're expecting to trudge through a foot of snow the whole way some boots may be in order. I would think regular hiking boots and maybe even your regular hiking shoes would be fine. This might be where gaiters come in handy too. I did a short trip last winter through snow about ankle deep in some places in my trail runners and my feet were never an issue.
    It is what it is.

Has anyone ever worn Bean Boots for wet/snowy hiking?

If you are looking for a good winter hiking boot, plan to look after winter when retailers are clearing out inventory When you want and need them, they're usually full price.

Winter boots for chores and work aren't typically hiker friendly. Usually too heavy and don't breathe well. If you are used to lightweight shoes, the extra weight can really wear on you in different ways, joints in particular like knees and hips. Usually nice and warm though!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

The first time that we were allowed our and about after the Covid hit, I went shopping for winter boots in West Jefferson, NC.
    I found a pair of Hanwag Yukon boots. Full leather. Inside and out. Vibram Lug Soles. I went up 1 1/2 sizes and WIDE width. Several coats of wax and Sno-Seal. Filled them up with my favorite Darn Tough socks. It was like a trip in a time machine. Back to the good old days when I backpacked in an oversized pair of Fabiano Rio boots. Just right!
    I want some SNOW! I have been out in wet mud and foot deep wet leaves. We need snow!
    Real boots work! No Gore-Tex on my feet!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The first time that we were allowed our and about after the Covid hit, I went shopping for winter boots in West Jefferson, NC.
    I found a pair of Hanwag Yukon boots. Full leather. Inside and out. Vibram Lug Soles. I went up 1 1/2 sizes and WIDE width. Several coats of wax and Sno-Seal. Filled them up with my favorite Darn Tough socks. It was like a trip in a time machine. Back to the good old days when I backpacked in an oversized pair of Fabiano Rio boots. Just right!
    I want some SNOW! I have been out in wet mud and foot deep wet leaves. We need snow!
    Wayne
    Back in 1982 I drank the kool aid and bought a pair of Chippewa -40F boots from Footsloggers in Boone and they got me thru one winter of backpacking before the soles tore off---

Chippewa-Boots-25466-L.jpg
    But I felt official for several months.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne
    Hanwag. Really famous stuff. If you wanted to have boots to last for the rest of your life, you look for Hanwag.
    And when sometimes your Hanwags fail to serve you any longer, they still can be put to good use:
    Attached Images Attached Images

i too have the muck chore version.great boots around the house,but not to hike in.bunny boots i have the black ones (mickey mouse)
    i got them for outside construction work.warmest boots ever but your legs will be whoooped by days end.i use em for ice fishin now,be careful driving those things are super wide i hit the clutch and brakes at the same time and almost put my head thru the windshield.id go with gore-tex boots gaiters and heated socks

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Back in 1982 I drank the kool aid and bought a pair of Chippewa -40F boots from Footsloggers in Boone and they got me thru one winter of backpacking before the soles tore off---

Chippewa-Boots-25466-L.jpg
    But I felt official for several months.
    Footsloggers in Boone is no more.
    The Mast General Stores in Wautauga County cater to Backpackers.
    Wayne

'I guess if you're expecting to trudge through a foot of snow the whole way some boots may be in order. I would think regular hiking boots and maybe even your regular hiking shoes would be fine. This might be where gaiters come in handy too. I did a short trip last winter through snow about ankle deep in some places in my trail runners and my feet were never an issue.'

Yep, I completely agree with that! I did the same a couple of times and everything was good.

https://www.danner.com/fort-lewis-10-black.html

Was also ones made by matterhorn, although looks like they ae discontinued. These were the Bees knees that all the cool kids had in Germany. Humped many a hill and dale in the winter in these during my infantry days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    https://www.danner.com/fort-lewis-10-black.html

Was also ones made by matterhorn, although looks like they ae discontinued. These were the Bees knees that all the cool kids had in Germany. Humped many a hill and dale in the winter in these during my infantry days.
    Apply red chords instead of the black ones, and you'll be really cool today (if a bit right-winged, you dont mind).
    Actually those are pretty similar to the Austrian military winter boots I'm using for snowshoeing (far-right on the pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My wife and I bought these for backpacking in Iceland (Hornstrandir) two years ago. We were expecting heavy rain and deep muskeg, worst case. Ended up walking maybe 10 miles in them, with heavy packs. Didn't like them, wearing socks inside. Chewed my feet up. Sold them on eBay when we returned...
    Probably a great product if you own a farm but not so much for hiking.

Images

Living in Alaska I have hiked many miles in muck boots, but mainly the ones that are about 12 inches high. Go with trail runners. I am constantly in and out of boats, in tundra, etc which is why I wear them. Definitely not needed on the A.T.

I think it would be brutal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++