WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Sorry to hear this.

I have a safe mounted under my front seat. It's hardly visible from outside the car but I draped a small towel over it to make it less conspicuous. Technically a gun safe but it's suitable for wallet, keys, etc. I recognize that locks, and safes, only keep out honest people but also recognize that most burglars don't want to spend more than a few minutes so they don't get caught. It's unlikely one could get in my safe in a few minutes. There are larger options available.

Attachment 47101 Attachment 47102

EDIT: I really should have vacuumed my car before taking photos.
    How's it mounted? Might intrigue a thief but I agree a smash and grab probably won't spend time on it. Paint the front black or put a black cover over it and somebody might think it's part of the car. Or sew that towel like a fitted sheet and they might just pass their hand under it. Put a dirty sock or some old french fries under it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Portie View Post
    Leaving your pet copperhead in the car is not a crime.
    Probably having one is tho.

Images

I have been known to liberally rub poison ivy on door handles

but how long does the poison stay active?

Images

looks like google says 1 to 5 years....

interesting.....but does really deter someone who's going to smash a window and just reach in?

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Probably having one is tho.
    Legal in most states with a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    How's it mounted?
    I drilled some holes in the rear of the safe to accept u-bolts. There is a cross bar under the seat. The u-bolts go around the cross bar, into the safe, and the nuts secure to the u-bolts from inside the safe. I attached a piece of wood to the bottom of the safe to keep it level and allow it to slide with the seat when the seat is moved.

The u-bolts are not easily accessible from the rear for a bolt cutter or angle grinder. It’s not impossible to get into it, but it’s certainly not easy.
    Last edited by perrymk; 02-23-2021 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I drilled some holes in the rear of the safe to accept u-bolts. There is a cross bar under the seat. The u-bolts go around the cross bar, into the safe, and the nuts secure to the u-bolts from inside the safe. I attached a piece of wood to the bottom of the safe to keep it level and allow it to slide with the seat when the seat is moved.

The u-bolts are not easily accessible from the rear for a bolt cutter or angle grinder. It’s not impossible to get into it, but it’s certainly easy.
    It is all about deterrence. My gun safe is rated to txtl 60, but a determined criminal with enough time and tools, will get in. In a car, a thief is probably looking at 30 seconds get in and get out. You solution looks very good to me.

Had interesting convo about this with a shuttle driver, she was saying how most break-ins are at the parking areas on the main roads with easy and quick entry/exit like Dick’s and Unicoi. She has had clients get broken into, lose catalytic converters, and had fuel lines cut but never at the back woods areas. I am sure it happens there too but probably much less likely.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
    Lol, I always leave my doors unlocked and the idiots still broke my window out to get it. Wonder if a “Unlocked - Please don’t break window” sign would help.
    I had a break-in into my unlocked car; the police said sometimes the crooks will break the windows any how just to let you know they were there. Tagging, if you will.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++