WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I found a source for misc bottles! OMG!

A little backstory, I use a alcohol stove and carry my fuel in a Vargo Fuel Bottle. It is 8oz capacity. It works out well for me but I wish I had slightly more capacity, 12-16oz?

Anyhow I was googling around and found this plastic company that makes must be thousands of different bottles! its mind blowing! I wanted to share, it might help someone looking for a very specific bottle. and they are located in Ohio.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/de...d=homepagetile

Journal Entries

Why don't you just use a 16 oz soda bottle? Or even a 1 liter soda bottle? You don't need to go through all that.

Journal Entries

Maybe this is an ad? They are all over the place.

True.

I’ve also been reading that around 10oz of denatured is the break even point when it’s roughly the same weight as a canister type stove. In my case a Soto Windmaster and a 8oz fuel canister.

I haven’t broke out my scale and debunked that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Maybe this is an ad? They are all over the place.
    lol. not an ad.. just sharing the site.. they have some very unique plastic bottles.. they even have the little honey bears!

Journal Entries

i've used various bottles over the years. As long as they don't leak, especially for alcohol.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Cool, thanks. Always good to have sources for stuff, whether I need it now or not!

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a 375 ml Jack Daniels bottle for my fuel. Somehow it seems appropriate.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I've been wanting a plastic bottle for mouthwash but everything seems to leak. There are so many bottles on that site I don't know now which to choose!

Anyone use a bottle to transport mouthwash? No, I don't take backpacking but for general travel....
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    A little backstory, I use a alcohol stove and carry my fuel in a Vargo Fuel Bottle. It is 8oz capacity. It works out well for me but I wish I had slightly more capacity, 12-16oz?

Anyhow I was googling around and found this plastic company that makes must be thousands of different bottles! its mind blowing! I wanted to share, it might help someone looking for a very specific bottle. and they are located in Ohio.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/de...d=homepagetile

I'd like to state for the record my experience with those smaller Nalgene bottles (I acquired mine at REI). I used a couple as travel shampoo containers, and they seem to have permanently retained the smell, even after several washings and months of airing out.

I've purchased bottles from USPlastic in the past. All sorts of sizes and lids. Small opaque ones with a squirt lid for premixing aquamira, larger clear ones with a flip cap for Dr. Bronners, etc. No problems with any of them (I bought a bunch because the bottles themselves are a lot less expensive than the cost to ship) and I've given many of them away with no reports of failures.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I've been wanting a plastic bottle for mouthwash but everything seems to leak. There are so many bottles on that site I don't know now which to choose!

Anyone use a bottle to transport mouthwash? No, I don't take backpacking but for general travel....

Any reason why you don't use one from the "Travel Size" aisle at Walmart? If one of those small mouthwash bottles isn't the brand you wish, dump it out, rinse and refill with your brand. That said, I've NOT used those small bottles of mouthwash.
    And perhaps put the bottle inside a small Zip-Lock freezer bag for extra insurance.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Any reason why you don't use one from the "Travel Size" aisle at Walmart? If one of those small mouthwash bottles isn't the brand you wish, dump it out, rinse and refill with your brand. That said, I've NOT used those small bottles of mouthwash.
    And perhaps put the bottle inside a small Zip-Lock freezer bag for extra insurance.
    The thing about those is that they work well until you open them. Then they leak whenever tipped over thereafter. That makes them fine if you have an unopened bottle and are headed to a single spot for many days. I've tried the ziplock thing, and you end up w/ a bottle sitting in sticky liquid that can then leak out of the ziplock. Single use plastics are really made for, a single use....
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    The thing about those is that they work well until you open them. Then they leak whenever tipped over thereafter. That makes them fine if you have an unopened bottle and are headed to a single spot for many days. I've tried the ziplock thing, and you end up w/ a bottle sitting in sticky liquid that can then leak out of the ziplock. Single use plastics are really made for, a single use....
    Got ya! Yeah, i've not tried it. That said I've used some screw top small refillable bottles from (pick one) backpacking vendors and not had leaks. The Flip Top type also work well, unless the flip-top somehow opens! I forget who makes it/has it, but some supply company markets a flip top that has an O-Ring inside it. It will screw on the Heet Bottles and also the Lucas fuel additive bottles, making them your alcohol fuel bottle. But I don't think I'd be using Heet or Lucas bottles for mouthwash! If you can find that product (it's just the flip top), perhaps then a bottle could be found that would use that same type/size threads.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I have used some of their bottles.My preference is always a solid cap though.In the past I have successfully used a hot sauce bottle with a cone type screw closure that worked pretty well.Currently I carry an AGG 8 oz fuel bottle with a solid cap and use a small cough syrup type measuring cup to load my Mighty Starlyte XL3.

I was shopping sales and was on the Litesmith site. They have a wide selections of bottles to check out.

At Walmart you can buy a bottle's worth of wine split into 4 small plastic bottles. It works out to be 6.34 oz each. They have metal (aluminum probably) screw-on caps, and don't leak. Good for fuel. The OP wanted something larger, so I'd suggest checking at a liquor store for similar bottle design in the desired ounce range. There was a time you could get beer in plastic bottles too - I think the target market was for beachgoers, so as to avoid risks to bare feet of broken glass and sharp/thin metal. IDK if any breweries still bottle their beer that way though. Availability might depend on where you live. But those would more likely be in the 12-16 oz range.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

An O-ring would be ideal. Never heard of Litesmith. Looks like they have some viable options. THX.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I use a 375 ml Jack Daniels bottle for my fuel. Somehow it seems appropriate.

When I used an alcohol stove I put an absolute insistence on material and closure integrity, and ended up using booze bottles made from PETE plastic. The lids screwed on very tightly with zero leakage, and the plastic itself is a nearly indestructable. I would just go to the liquor store and get the cheapest junk they sold in the proper size and shape (I preferred an oblong shape to slide in the pack easier).

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    When I used an alcohol stove I put an absolute insistence on material and closure integrity, and ended up using booze bottles made from PETE plastic. The lids screwed on very tightly with zero leakage, and the plastic itself is a nearly indestructable. I would just go to the liquor store and get the cheapest junk they sold in the proper size and shape (I preferred an oblong shape to slide in the pack easier).
    Exactly, the flat shape fits well in a side pocket of my pack.

I market it in ounces on one side for buying fuel and “burns” on the other side.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++