WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Should the ATC get out of the 2,000 Miler Business?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    As do I. That's why I think ATC should spend a few moments sometime and write a common sense set of guidelines.

Weary
    I think the main point they're trying to convey is yellow blazing doesn't count. It would be absurd for them to list all the what ifs.

I believe what's really needed if you don't follow every single white blaze, is to list any discrepancies. If you want the patch and they don't give it to you, go back.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I think the main point they're trying to convey is yellow blazing doesn't count. It would be absurd for them to list all the what ifs.

I believe what's really needed if you don't follow every single white blaze, is to list any discrepancies. If you want the patch and they don't give it to you, go back.
    I've always argued that if you want a patch, just send AT an honest account of what you did and they will send it to you.

I'm not going to do it tonight. I have to get up early for the annual all day MATC planning meeting. But remind me sometime and I'll send you a 100 word paragraph that would eliminate 99.9 % of all the fudging hikers go through to qualify for a 2,000 miler patch.

Weary

Keep up the recogniton as it is quite an accomplishment.

I've always argued that if you want a patch, just send AT an honest account of what you did and they will send it to you.

I'm not going to do it tonight. I have to get up early for the annual all day MATC planning meeting. But remind me sometime and I'll send you a 100 word paragraph that would eliminate 99.9 % of all the fudging hikers go through to qualify for a 2,000 miler patch.

Weary
    Don't send it to me, send it to the ATC. They may want to keep the wording like it is.

However, I do think it's old school and needs to be changed.

...I'd like to see an effort to encourage ATC to take a moment or two and try to define some sensible qualifications....Weary
    How much clearer can the ATC make the qualification guidelines? You must pass every white blaze, only time an alternate route is allowed is when the AT is impassable or would jepordize your safety.

Weary
    First off, in today's world it is so damn easy to produce a written document. Secondly, do you want your donated money spent on ATC employees going over these written documents trying to verify if someone is qualified to receive a DAMN patch.

if people hiked as much as they whined about nonsense like this, there would be 2,000-miler patches and rockers on every pack

ATC is not wedded to the current, exact wording of the 2,000-miler recognition guidelines. No one at ATC has any huge investment in keeping it as it is. In fact, it has been tweaked a few times even over the last decade--tightened and loosened in at attempt to find the right balance. Prior to that, I simply don't know whether there were actually clear, written guidelines, or just a verbal understanding, but as I stated before, attitudes and processes related to recognizing 2,000-milers have changed over the years.

ATC has several goals in the 2,000-miler recognition program:

- Capturing end-to-end usage of the A.T. (True, there may not be a lot of thru-hikers, but they can have significant impacts when bunched together).

- Capturing trends in those statistics and statistics about the hikers themselves. There is a tremendous appetite from the public, media, and researchers about thru-hikers. The 2,000-miler database allows us to answer inquiries about them.

- Strengthing our connection with this group of hikers who knows our physical trail from Georgia to Maine better than anyone and is among its most passionate supporters.

- Honoring A.T. traditions.

- Receiving ongoing feedback about trail issues and the trail experience. In the process, we sometimes get wonderful quotes about the A.T.

We want to recognize those who have hiked end to end, although it is not important to us that a hiker passes virtually every one of the 80,000-something blazes. What kind of experience would it be if a hiker was consumed with being "legit" with every step? That's never been part of ATC's view of what the A.T. is for, and it can (although doesn't necessarily) detract from a hiker's ability to really enjoy what's around them. Most at ATC don't view a hiker taking a blue-blazed trail as any great sin. In fact, we'd want someone to choose a blue-blaze if their safety were threatened and an alternate route provided greater safety. Taking a blue-blazed trail because it was more scenic or shorter? There hasn't been much discussion about that, but I know some long-time staff members who feel it's not a big deal. Of course, many blue-blazed and alternate routes were once the A.T.

The biggest question is outright skipping of sections. Skipping a mile or two here or there is not a big deal. On the other hand, if you tell us you did the "aqua blaze," or skipped the whole state of Maryland, we'll return or hold your application and ask you to go back and finish the section if you want to be recognized. It only seems fair to all the others who have come before. But if it's something in between, that's the hardest. There are some applications that end up being a judgment call, which does seem arbitrary. On the other hand, it seems counter to the whole tradition to put out some number and tell people it was okay to skip, say, 21.75 miles, but not 22.

If anyone can come up with a new definition that meets ATC's goals and better suits the long-distance hiker community, more power to them. We'd be delighted to consider it.

By the way, volunteers do more than 90% of the work involved in the recognition program.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    ...in at attempt to find the right balance....Laurie Potteiger
    ATC
    Life is a tricky balancing act.

Images

What kind of experience would it be if a hiker was consumed with being "legit" with every step? That's never been part of ATC's view of what the A.T. is for, and it can (although doesn't necessarily) detract from a hiker's ability to really enjoy what's around them. Most at ATC don't view a hiker taking a blue-blazed trail as any great sin. In fact, we'd want someone to choose a blue-blaze if their safety were threatened and an alternate route provided greater safety. Taking a blue-blazed trail because it was more scenic or shorter? There hasn't been much discussion about that, but I know some long-time staff members who feel it's not a big deal. Of course, many blue-blazed and alternate routes were once the A.T.
    This is very good to hear. On some shelters that have two access trails I have seen a number of people backtrack just so they do don't miss a few white blazes. I always thought that was very silly.

Well if anything, all this talk about the ATC reminded me once again, that I needed to re-up my membership, which is exactly what I did.

Laurie,

Thank you for participating here and expressing the ATC's views in another excellent post. I think it would be difficult to argue against these very reasonable points on the 2,000 miler designation. It is also very interesting to know the thoughts behind them. Thanks again.

Tin Man
    ATC member

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Well if anything, all this talk about the ATC reminded me once again, that I needed to re-up my membership, which is exactly what I did.
    Best way to get a patch

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Best way to get a patch
    I think he has a couple already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    in today's world, if there isn't an official patch, you can simply make your own ...or have it done - patches by google.
    or by Fishin' Fred Then he usually donates part of the proceeds to the ATC.

ATC is not wedded to the current, exact wording of the 2,000-miler recognition guidelines. No one at ATC has any huge investment in keeping it as it is. In fact, it has been tweaked a few times even over the last decade--tightened and loosened in at attempt to find the right balance. Prior to that, I simply don't know whether there were actually clear, written guidelines, or just a verbal understanding, but as I stated before, attitudes and processes related to recognizing 2,000-milers have changed over the years.

ATC has several goals in the 2,000-miler recognition program:

- Capturing end-to-end usage of the A.T. (True, there may not be a lot of thru-hikers, but they can have significant impacts when bunched together).

- Capturing trends in those statistics and statistics about the hikers themselves. There is a tremendous appetite from the public, media, and researchers about thru-hikers. The 2,000-miler database allows us to answer inquiries about them.

- Strengthing our connection with this group of hikers who knows our physical trail from Georgia to Maine better than anyone and is among its most passionate supporters.

- Honoring A.T. traditions.

- Receiving ongoing feedback about trail issues and the trail experience. In the process, we sometimes get wonderful quotes about the A.T.

We want to recognize those who have hiked end to end, although it is not important to us that a hiker passes virtually every one of the 80,000-something blazes. What kind of experience would it be if a hiker was consumed with being "legit" with every step? That's never been part of ATC's view of what the A.T. is for, and it can (although doesn't necessarily) detract from a hiker's ability to really enjoy what's around them. Most at ATC don't view a hiker taking a blue-blazed trail as any great sin. In fact, we'd want someone to choose a blue-blaze if their safety were threatened and an alternate route provided greater safety. Taking a blue-blazed trail because it was more scenic or shorter? There hasn't been much discussion about that, but I know some long-time staff members who feel it's not a big deal. Of course, many blue-blazed and alternate routes were once the A.T.

The biggest question is outright skipping of sections. Skipping a mile or two here or there is not a big deal. On the other hand, if you tell us you did the "aqua blaze," or skipped the whole state of Maryland, we'll return or hold your application and ask you to go back and finish the section if you want to be recognized. It only seems fair to all the others who have come before. But if it's something in between, that's the hardest. There are some applications that end up being a judgment call, which does seem arbitrary. On the other hand, it seems counter to the whole tradition to put out some number and tell people it was okay to skip, say, 21.75 miles, but not 22.

If anyone can come up with a new definition that meets ATC's goals and better suits the long-distance hiker community, more power to them. We'd be delighted to consider it.

By the way, volunteers do more than 90% of the work involved in the recognition program.

Laurie Potteiger
    ATC
    Laurie, thank you for a thorough and complete response articulating what I feel is a very reasonable position.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Best way to get a patch
    Once a 2000-miler, always a 2000-miler.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++