WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone stay at Independence Inn?

Seems like a nice place and half the price of Mt.W.....anyone have any experience with this hotel or is Mt. W worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed tat the Independence Courthouse Inn, don't know if thats the same place. Only a half block from the Post office & the road to Onion Valley.
    I liked the place, it was adequate, clean. But I understand its under new management, so Im afraid I can't really offer any relevant info.

Another option is to take the bus into Bishop. I don't remember for sure but think it was free? Good resupply there and plenty of motels.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I have stayed at both Mt W and Independence. The rooms are comparable. Mt W provides a very good breakfast and loaner cloths while doing laundry. Both had hiker boxes. Jim was able to provide rides to and from trail cheaper than at Mt W. Independence has washer and dryer available, but it is self service. I didn't mind having to do my own laundry. As of last year there is not a good place to get breakfast at restaurants or fast food locally. If you stay at Independence, you will need to buy something at the convenience store and cook it in your room. The taco truck is within a block of both locations and had great food for lunch and dinner. I was able to drop my resupply package off at Independence and they held it till my arrival. Independence has fewer rooms, so you will need to make reservations to ensure having a room.

Hitching into town took less than 15 minutes the last 2 years. Hitching back out of town took longer at about an hour. I took a shuttle back to the trail from Jim last year.
    When I go back, I will stay with Jim at Independence and save the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    I have stayed at both Mt W and Independence. The rooms are comparable. Mt W provides a very good breakfast and loaner cloths while doing laundry. Both had hiker boxes. Jim was able to provide rides to and from trail cheaper than at Mt W. Independence has washer and dryer available, but it is self service. I didn't mind having to do my own laundry. As of last year there is not a good place to get breakfast at restaurants or fast food locally. If you stay at Independence, you will need to buy something at the convenience store and cook it in your room. The taco truck is within a block of both locations and had great food for lunch and dinner. I was able to drop my resupply package off at Independence and they held it till my arrival. Independence has fewer rooms, so you will need to make reservations to ensure having a room.

Hitching into town took less than 15 minutes the last 2 years. Hitching back out of town took longer at about an hour. I took a shuttle back to the trail from Jim last year.
    Great info! We will be coming down Kearsarge on a Sunday afternoon so not sure if worth setting up shuttle as we have 4. No food thing stinks..taco truck closed on weekend. Gues could uber/hitch down to lone pine for dinner. Likely take a zero Monday have him shuttle back.

Post Need Shuttle Info

Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    Hiking the JMT with a buddy starting on July 22, 2020 from Bishop resupplying at Independence, can anyone up date and/or confirm the above info (from 05/15/2020?)
    Also, shuttle fee from Bishop to Mosquito flats is $80 for one person. Are there other options for less expensive shuttle? is hitchhiking an option?
    Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My stays at the hotels were in Aug 2018 at Mt W and Aug 2019 at Independence Inn. Hopefully someone can give updates on what has changed this year.

Hitching between Onion Valley and Independence those two years was a breeze. I would expect that has changed at least some this year. I found shuttles were pricey, but the drives tend to be long and hard on vehicles in the sierras. I think that drive to Mosquito Flats is 70ish miles round trip and takes about 2 hours. Check with a few services before picking one. I have used "Lone Pine Kurt" multiple times and he was always prompt and professional 661-972-9476. If you can find others to share the shuttle with, the costs per person usually get much more reasonable.

I would also reach out to Hostel California in bishop to see if they have suggestions on shuttles or rides.

Post Originally Posted by john844

I will contact Lone Pine Kurt and Hostel California as you suggested and I will be mindful of the ware and tare due to the long and hard roads when selecting shuttle services.
    Thank you for the quick response, stay healthy and safe.
    See you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Greywolf View Post
    I will contact Lone Pine Kurt and Hostel California as you suggested and I will be mindful of the ware and tare due to the long and hard roads when selecting shuttle services.
    Thank you for the quick response, stay healthy and safe.
    See you on the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Greywolf View Post
    Hiking the JMT with a buddy starting on July 22, 2020 from Bishop resupplying at Independence, can anyone up date and/or confirm the above info (from 05/15/2020?)
    Also, shuttle fee from Bishop to Mosquito flats is $80 for one person. Are there other options for less expensive shuttle? is hitchhiking an option?
    Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    May want to try Jim at the independence inn. His rates for shuttle and rooms are very reasonable. We’re staying there in September and getting shuttled as well.

For those thinking of taking a bus to Lone Pine or Bishop from Independence, note the bus does not run everyday of the week. You may have to hitch if you don't want to stay in town. I've only gone into Bishop from Independence once, because I lost my warm hat and needed to replace it at one of the outfitters in Bishop when hiking the PCT. I got lucky on the Bus schedule and only spent a few hours there as a day trip. I wouldn't have bother otherwise as being too much hassle, and didn't on other trips in the area when I resupplied over Kearsarge Pass. That said, Lone Pine and Bishop have far better and more numerous resupply and restaurant options. But I've always been able to make do with whats in Independence. If I was going to take several days off, I might think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    For those thinking of taking a bus to Lone Pine or Bishop from Independence, note the bus does not run everyday of the week. You may have to hitch if you don't want to stay in town. I've only gone into Bishop from Independence once, because I lost my warm hat and needed to replace it at one of the outfitters in Bishop when hiking the PCT. I got lucky on the Bus schedule and only spent a few hours there as a day trip. I wouldn't have bother otherwise as being too much hassle, and didn't on other trips in the area when I resupplied over Kearsarge Pass. That said, Lone Pine and Bishop have far better and more numerous resupply and restaurant options. But I've always been able to make do with whats in Independence. If I was going to take several days off, I might think differently.
    Thx for the info. We are debating taking a zero or nero in Indy......was thinking about taking the bus to bishop to resupply vs mailing it to inn. I need to double check schedule but think runs m-fr several times per day, though the esta site is lil confusing.

Yes, Stayed there in 2020. Good place clean and Jim is very accommodating. He picked us up from
    Taboos pass and brought us to town. We took a buss to independence great town with a unexpected
    Austrian bakery/sandwich place. There are a few excellent restaurants. Independence has more upscale hotels. Make reservation early for either place.
    I wish I was there.
    OneGreyWolf

Journal Entries
    Images

Easy Hitch out of the Onion Valley TH into Bishop or Lone Pine which have far more accommodation and restaurant options than Independence. However, I've only heard good things about Mt. Williamson Motel because they pour their hearts out to the folks who choose Not to head over to LP or Bis
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++