WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why would you quit the trail?

Why in your mind is a good resaon to stop hiking??

For me if I have hand to hand combat with a large mammal and win i'll stop hiking because I will think I proved myself

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Class2010AT View Post

If you were to die. That might be a good reason.

Just sayin'.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

For me if I have hand to hand combat with a large mammal and win I'll stop hiking because I will think I proved myself
    Yeah but is that the only reason for being on the A.T.
    For me it is the challenge of doing something so huge, meeting new people, beautiful scenery, fresh air, no traffic, the list goes on and on.
    If I defeat a large mammal, I thank God and treat myself to a huge Banana Split at the next town and continue on to Katahdin, Until I touch the sign on Katahdin, I am not done.
    Severe injury or life threatening illness is the only reason I will leave the trail.
    But, I'll return to complete my hike A.S.A.P.

well, the sheer magnitude a task as big as hiking 2,179 might be one opposing force.. that's usually the thing people are there to conquer in the first place.

oh ok.. i understand the question better now. no, if i won a battle against a large mammal, i would hike the trail (and probably with the most bada$$ trail name ever, if anybody believed/saw the occurrence)

the rest of the trail that is. ugh, long day. ill log off now.

Images

when it stops being fun!
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I think the first thing you have to consider is why you are hiking the trail to begin with. You might not figure that out until you get out there.

I quit about 850 miles into it. I was just ready. You'll know when/if you're ready.

Looks like the OP is looking for reasons to quit before he even starts!
    Go figure.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I would quit the trail if they began using trail moderators to track everyone's progress, make sure everyone is hiking correctly, and keep campfire conversations relegated to gear, miles and maps only.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

For me if I have hand to hand combat with a large mammal and win i'll stop hiking because I will think I proved myself
    I'm not sure earning the trail name "Chipmunk Killer" would be a good reason to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    when it stops being fun!
    Good reason.

Injury or illness would be a biggie for me.

My cousin was on the Long Trail with her husband when she sustained a very painful sprain. She also realized that the two of them hiked at different 'speeds' when distance hiking. It was hard enough for her to keep up with him even though they both wanted to be there. The injury made it tougher.

They didn't finish, but they had a great time even though my cousin was injured. They do a lot of day hiking together, travel together, and love primitive back country camping. But they discovered that hiking for more than a day together didn't work well.

They are very devoted to each other so they chose not to distance hike together since there are plenty of other options for them.

Injury, illness, finding that you have fulfilled enough of your dream to be comfortable not going the whole distance. Getting word that a family member is ill. Loss of a family member. Not planning well. Not having enough money. Not having the right equipment, etc. I can think of many reason why someone would choose to not finish.

I will not say quit as I suspect most people continue to be avid hikers and backpackers. But not everyone is going to find that there is something inside them that absolutely must finish the trail.

Images

Type A Personality here. I stop when my mental state tells me I have too many other recreation goals/projects/work and family commitments I should be enjoying other than just wandering around in the woods.

Usually after a couple of weeks I snap out of the need to hike and move on to other things (bicycling, fishing, climbing peaks....)

That's why I am a section hiker.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

injury, illness, time, money, just not feeling it..... everyone has their reasons for getting off, no biggie, trail will still be there
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I would consider quitting when it became clear there was not enough pleasure to counter the discomfort of the experience. If I was to purely guess, I would say that might become an issue in northern Va. or PA. New England is appealing to me and the southern part of the trail hold interest for me. Of course, that is with me sitting here thinking about it, not being out there.

Images

We stopped because of my injury/pain but 6 days into it my husband turned around one day and said "This is not fun anymore." We had spent 4 years planning that hike and building it up in our minds. As it turned out we came home to several issues that we had to be there to settle, things we could not have taken care of from the trail, so it was for the best. And we will finish someday - just not in a 6 month long stretch. We do short sections as time allows and enjoy every moment of that.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    when it stops being fun!
    yup. i quit 2 years in a row in gorham, n.h. for that reason

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yup. i quit 2 years in a row in gorham, n.h. for that reason
    How far is Gorham from Hanover again?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Missing family - wife, kids, etc.

wow,
    when your out there you'll think of a million reasons to quit. If you talk to most thru hikers that have completed it , they'll say they thought "is this really worth it"? at least once. When I did it I wanted to complete it, I kept that in mind, the thoughts I had before I went out.
    No it is not fun the whole time, but when you touch that sign and you no you didnt give up I can not explain the feeling!

I always have to voices in me, one wants me to fail and one wants me to suceed, that one that wants me to fail is very smart, but I have god to fight that voice.

If you set out to hike the at, then finish it, It will be worth it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++