WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yesterday morning, a hiker was injured south of Clingmans dome.

Yesterday morning about 6 1/2 miles south of Clingmans dome a young woman (25sh?) out hiking with her friend slipped and broke her ankle around 8am. There was no phone coverage and our spot satellite trackers weren't any help. First aid was administered. The young lady was covered up in her sleeping bag for warmth, foot elevated and boot left on. After doing all we could could to help we left here with her friend. After a mile or so a phone got a signal and 911 was called. All information was relayed. Search and Rescue was notified. About 1 mile from Clingmans I ran into the 2 SAR member going to help. This was about 2pm. I was able to talk to them for just a minute (they were in a hurry) The plan was to get to her and evaluate her condition. Extraction was to be the following morning (today). Some things to think about. After we left her she had no idea what was going on. She had no idea if/when we got through. No one walked back the mile to tell them we got through. We passed no one who could have relayed the message to them. Due to the incredibly crappy weather not many were on the trail that day. Things could have been much worse. I don't think the SAR could have made it there before 5pm. Imagine this scenario for a solo hiker or maybe happening later in the day when nobody else is passing by. Just somethings to think about and understand.

Before calling dupe this is a repost of what I posted on a face book page.
    Gave me a lot to think about especially as a solo hiker.

ETA; is there anyone or anywhere I can find updates on how things ended up?
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

Journal Entries

Since you say she was covered up with her sleeping bag
    I presume it's a hiker with a shelter and sleeping bag and food, etc

On a busy trail

Not really much to worry about. Sounds like things went like they should be expected to go.

How old was the woman? Wait I see you said 25.
    Older people can break ankles pretty easily sometimes. my dad broke his at 70 just turning around to answer the phone in the kitchen.
    Young people will usually tear ligaments and or sprained or things of that nature unless doing something pretty intense

When I was hiking the Colorado trail I met a older woman whos hiking partner had broken her ankle and was airlifted out. But she was in that 60- 70 year old range too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-03-2019 at 18:55.

Images

Try GSMNP Public Affairs (865) 436-1207, form mail https://www.nps.gov/common/utilities...licaffairs.htm

Or BUSAR if they were the responding S&R, [email protected]

Explain that you were the reporting party and just wanted to know if rescue was successful, etc. You may not be able to get anything though due to HIPPA.

Reminds me of a story: A neighbor who ran a lot, often with her dogs, was sitting on the ground at the entrance to our subdivision. As I pulled out, I saw her wave and waved back as I got on the road. Something in the back of my mind told me her facial expression was off, though. I turned around to find she had slipped on some ice and broken her ankle. She was in a lot of pain and her smile was really more of a grimace. She had been there a bit and a few other neighbors had passed thinking she was just tying her shoes or loving her dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Older people can break ankles pretty easily sometimes. my dad broke his at 70 just turning around to answer the phone in the kitchen.

When I was hiking the Colorado trail I met a older woman whos hiking partner had broken her ankle and was airlifted out. But she was in that 60- 70 year old range too.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be trying to finish the trail NOBO in a couple of months (picking up in the Wildcats in NH where I ended last year). I figure I should finish just about the time I turn 70 - or not.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

GaryM

I cannot find anything on the websites for the three major television stations in Knoxville. Hopefully no news is good news.

Thanks for your efforts. I'm sure you would like to have some closure on the incident. I think you did exactly the right thing for the hiker.

Sounds as if she was between Spence Field and Silers Bald. At least she had someone with her and had a sleeping bag. Hopefully she had some sort of cover to keep off rain. Likely SAR arrived before dark and were able to move her to the nearest shelter.

Journal Entries

I saw that story on FB as well. Thanks for posting here Gary. Hope to hear good news.

W8lkinUSA

Why not just email search and rescue?

Images

I cannot find anything on the websites for the three major television stations in Knoxville. Hopefully no news is good news.

thats not something we would normally cover....

there are so many search and rescues in the Park that happen every year.....

and yeah, with privacy laws----its tough to get info sometimes....

W8lkinUSA

It isn't like any personal information is desired. Sounds like the OP just wants to follow up for closure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    thats not something we would normally cover....

there are so many search and rescues in the Park that happen every year.....

and yeah, with privacy laws----its tough to get info sometimes....
    Actually that was my point. Maybe I was being too subtle.

If it was routine rescue then there is no news.

Had it led to a fatality, then there's a news story. Especially in light of autopsy report of Susan Clemens who died near there.

Why wasn't your spot any help?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Yesterday morning about 6 1/2 miles south of Clingmans dome a young woman (25sh?) out hiking with her friend slipped and broke her ankle around 8am. There was no phone coverage and our spot satellite trackers weren't any help. First aid was administered. The young lady was covered up in her sleeping bag for warmth, foot elevated and boot left on. After doing all we could could to help we left here with her friend. After a mile or so a phone got a signal and 911 was called. All information was relayed. Search and Rescue was notified. About 1 mile from Clingmans I ran into the 2 SAR member going to help. This was about 2pm. I was able to talk to them for just a minute (they were in a hurry) The plan was to get to her and evaluate her condition. Extraction was to be the following morning (today). Some things to think about. After we left her she had no idea what was going on. She had no idea if/when we got through. No one walked back the mile to tell them we got through. We passed no one who could have relayed the message to them. Due to the incredibly crappy weather not many were on the trail that day. Things could have been much worse. I don't think the SAR could have made it there before 5pm. Imagine this scenario for a solo hiker or maybe happening later in the day when nobody else is passing by. Just somethings to think about and understand.
    Before calling dupe this is a repost of what I posted on a face book page.
    Gave me a lot to think about especially as a solo hiker.
    ETA; is there anyone or anywhere I can find updates on how things ended up?

Situation like this is why I took a NOLS Wilderness First Aid class.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post

Had it led to a fatality, then there's a news story. Especially in light of autopsy report of Susan Clemens who died near there.
    I never heard about the autopsy, did it reveal anything unexpected?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf;22did43324
    I never heard about the autopsy, did it reveal anything unexpected?
    Yeah, that comment piqued my curiosity too. The autopsy revealed the cause of death was hypothermia (https://www.wyff4.com/article/cause-of-death-of-woman-separated-from-daughter-while-hiking-is-released/27044991).

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    Why wasn't your spot any help?
    Yes. Which models? What happened?
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 04-06-2019 at 20:00.

Good example of how relying on digital gadgets for safety/rescue is hopelessly flawed and potentially fatal. Ask any emergency staff about the people they rescue with only a cell phone, dead batteries, no coverage, etc. Ever heard of the 10 essentials? First Aid Kit, warm clothing, extra food. I add a ham radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yes. Which models? What happened?
    Wayne
    thinking of getting one but i'm hearing about failures.

I hear a lot of things about various items, but if not substantiated, I ignore it as gossip. The older generation SPOT devices needed a fairly open look at the sky (or perhaps more accurately a satellite) to send the message. The Generation III device is more robust and I've not seen many substantiated complaints about the help function not working. For what it's worth, mine sends out the "I'm still alive" messages without issue and tracks well for those watching at home.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I hear a lot of things about various items, but if not substantiated, I ignore it as gossip. The older generation SPOT devices needed a fairly open look at the sky (or perhaps more accurately a satellite) to send the message. The Generation III device is more robust and I've not seen many substantiated complaints about the help function not working. For what it's worth, mine sends out the "I'm still alive" messages without issue and tracks well for those watching at home.
    Ditto. Mine worked fine on the AT, both the tracking and “I’m okay” messages. It worked fine on a Caribbean cruise, also.

Folks have to understand that SPOT is one way messaging. If you hit the SOS button you’re going to get SAR and helicopters, and maybe $. I’m not saying don’t do it if you really need it.

PLBs can provide two way messaging.

More technology on the trail ...
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++