WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think it is important to remember that while gear may be helpful in challenging situations, it might also be helpful to ask what else could have made a difference.

Seems like there were enough similarities with each of these crimes that some reasonable conclusions might be drawn.

Wow....you all are still carrying on....just for the record I carry a knife as well as a firearm at all times not just hiking. It’s all legally done according to the state I am in....also you will never know I have a weapon, because I do not display them....

Guys... I never meant to create such a controversial thread xD !!!!!!!!! I did not delete it aftrer 3 pages or so because it had taken a turn where others were arguing between themselves. I myself have definitely gotten the point I was looking for, and my decision is now crystallized in just carrying a Victorinox Classic SD. I've been feeling a bit stupid non-stop because of how many people reply, and from reading those replies. Anyway, those replies are yours, just know that I got what I was hoping for and that I'm grateful for all of the replies that helped me Rock on, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporky View Post
    Guys... I never meant to create such a controversial thread xD !!!!!!!!! I did not delete it aftrer 3 pages or so because it had taken a turn where others were arguing between themselves. I myself have definitely gotten the point I was looking for, and my decision is now crystallized in just carrying a Victorinox Classic SD. I've been feeling a bit stupid non-stop because of how many people reply, and from reading those replies. Anyway, those replies are yours, just know that I got what I was hoping for and that I'm grateful for all of the replies that helped me Rock on, then!
    Posts about how safe hikers are from violent crime on the AT and what to do or not do about the potential for violent crime are invariably controversial on WB and always have been.
    You didn't do anything wrong by asking a question, so don't worry about it. Have a great hike!

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    sorry for interrupting but can someone kinda remind me how many of these mass shootings we have had recently, have been stopped by a non law enforcement (as in, private citizen) person carrying a gun?
    Ironically happened the same day of your post in Oklahoma.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sporky View Post
    Hah! Zero worries, whenever guns, dogs or pack weight comes up, the "discussions" flourish with all sorts of varied opinions/heated responses. Seems kinda silly, but that's typical on forums, I think it's simply because we're not discussing this face-to-face and so much gets lost without this. If we were all sitting at a pub, tossing a couple back and talking, things would stay much more civil.

I personally have found that statistics discussion fascinating, and kind-of eye opening, and I again apologize for being a bit of a d**k in my early post. I'm personally glad you're going with the little Victorinox thing and not falling prey to the trail violence scare thing, though I also have no problem with those that carry.

All so true and well said.... and under 10,000 words....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    Wow,way more math than I ever imagined I would find here..but for me,it boils down to this-everywhere I go,and everything I do has risks. I am not immortal,I have to die somewhere,sometime. If it happens on the trail,by whatever means,so be it. i much prefer to take my last breath on the AT than in a nursing home.
    As one who has contended that the trail is slightly more dangerous than big cities, I wouldn't suggest any other approach.

I'll see you on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassius View Post
    Wow....you all are still carrying on....just for the record I carry a knife as well as a firearm at all times not just hiking. It’s all legally done according to the state I am in....also you will never know I have a weapon, because I do not display them....
    For what it's worth (and to clarify my previous comments) - I have no problem whatsoever with you legally carrying on the trail.

My argument was specifically with the rationalization that you're doing it for other people because they'll want your help in an emergency. If you want to bring it for your own needs, do so. Just don't use other people as your excuse.

CalebJ....please reread my post....you don’t seem to pay attention to what you read....I never mentioned that I carry a weapon for protection of other people but I would if the need be....the criminal mind is something you obviously due not understand....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Ironically happened the same day of your post in Oklahoma.

it's unconfirmed though....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/us/ok...ing/index.html

https://www.kswo.com/2019/11/18/repo...ncan-wal-mart/

and even if it was confirmed------it's rare that it happens................

that was my point......

To all those that are opposed to carrying a weapon on the AT. I ask this question ....if you are put in harm’s way and I am near by would like me to help you or just walk away....Enjoy your hike!....
    CalebJ....please reread my post....you don’t seem to pay attention to what you read....I never mentioned that I carry a weapon for protection of other people but I would if the need be....the criminal mind is something you obviously due not understand....
    You're right - you did not explicitly state that you carry a weapon for other people's protection.

You'd also have to assume that we're all fools to not read that clear implication in your first post.

What any of this has to do with my understanding of the criminal mind is wildly unclear.

Bassius and CalebJ take it to private message. That side argument ends and so does any nontrail related mass shooting discussion. Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

If I felt I needed to do that I would probably move to another country.
    What a life !

just for the record I carry a knife as well as a firearm at all times not just hiking ... you will never know I have a weapon, because I do not display them....

We'll never know you have a weapon? You've just told us you're always armed.

Not to take sides regarding the rest of the sideshow ....

Is it raining yet?
    Images

"Murder on the Appalachian Trail" by Jess Carr

The Whole Truth? A Case of Murder on the Appalachian Trail" by H.L. Pohlman
    Be Prepared

True....but you do not know me. I could be your best friend, Time Zone....Happy Thanksgiving....

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    What a life !
    Well, I carry a knife at all times (except in forbidden areas like airports or courthouses). Nothing to do with self-defense or offense, it's just a handy thing to always have to open boxes, cut string, or do a variety of things.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Well, I carry a knife at all times (except in forbidden areas like airports or courthouses). Nothing to do with self-defense or offense, it's just a handy thing to always have to open boxes, cut string, or do a variety of things.
    Maybe that is not the aspect I was referring to...

-

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    What a life !
    for the people that feel that way, another country, continent, world.... would not matter

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++