WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Connecticut and campfires

I know the rules state no campfires in any CT camp sites on the AT but does that really hold up? Haven't done any overnight yet in CT AT but wondered if hikers still made campfires when appropriate conditions are present.

I passed thru Caesar Brook Campsite recently and saw a pretty substantial rock fire pit that looked like it had been used often and recently but that the only place I recall a fire pit.

You will find that at all or most CT sites. I did not nor have I seen anyone making the fires but obviously it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly mattams View Post
    I passed thru Caesar Brook Campsite recently and saw a pretty substantial rock fire pit that looked like it had been used often and recently but that the only place I recall a fire pit.

The ridgerunners will dismantle it as soon as they find it.
    No fires are allowed on the AT in Connecticut.
    If you absolutely must have a fire, please consider hiking somewhere where they're legal.

Images

I don't have a need for a fire just was just curious. Headlamp and a gas stove is all I need. Also not a fan of collecting fire wood after 10 mile hike.

Images

They usally have a fire ban in Colorado and it does kinda suck. Because that is the time to sit around and talk bull with your buddies after a long day of hitting the trail. G-Man has this lantern that screws on to a fuel canister that we all sit around. Its actually pretty cool little lantern. Weighs about 6 ounces.

Images

When I did CT I wanted so bad to have a fire but followed the rules and didn't, same with NJ.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by sly dog View Post
    When I did CT I wanted so bad to have a fire but followed the rules and didn't, same with NJ.
    Good job! Throw that dog a bone.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Its just sometime to dangerous to have a fire. Plus there are some idiots who think they have to build a fire that the space shuttle can see.

Default Connecticut Trail Maintainer

I maintain a section of trail in Salisbury Ct. The AT is clearly marked "No Fires Only Stoves". Several of the shelters have posted inside why no fires are allowed in Connecticut. I am not going to list all of them here. The section of trail that goes thru the northwestern part of the state gets used by by a lot of hikers and campers. The Connecticut AMC chapter - which I belong - makes every effort to keep the area as natural looking as possible so everyone can enjoy it for years to come. Campfires typically make camping areas look over used and trashy. I have not seen the remains of a camp fire that did not contain trash. The area surrounding the fire ring generally contains litter. From what I understand the primary reason for no fires is the concern that a forest fire could be started.
    The times that I caught people making a fire , I told them that fires were not allowed. They generally give a dumb look. I think to myself that the turons can't read , just don't care or have no clue what leave no trace means. There were a few times when when I have been short with fire makers - sorry - sometimes it's hard to be nice after doing hard trail work then finding people leaving a mess for me to clean up like their personal janitor. When a maintainer finds evidence of a campfire the following is suggested to discourage more campfires and keep the area natural looking: Remove burnt rocks and place them charred side down in the woods. Better to put in water where they cannot be seen , Remove all burned and un-burned trash from coals. Pack out and dispose of properly ,
    bury cold coals or put in stream in not too visable location. Yes a lot of work.

Images

Default Coals in streams?

Quote Originally Posted by wild dogs View Post
    ...bury cold coals or put in stream in not too visable location.
    Thank you for all you do especially your efforts to educate people as to the rationale for prohibiting fires.

I've got to ask one question though. Just who's recommending disposing of and concealing coals in streams?

Images

First of all...I enjoy campfires...I like sitting around and talking trail.

Second of all...I never make them when backpacking...I hate gathering wood and pretty much can't start one without a flame thrower and a 5 gallon can of gasoline.

Third of all...I really wouldn't put the coals in a stream.

Fourth of all...Obey the rules, people. CT doesn't have the hundreds of thousands of square miles of back country that some states have. We need to preserve it, and if that's what needs to be done then I'm all for it.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Quote Originally Posted by wild dogs View Post
    ...Campfires typically make camping areas look over used and trashy. I have not seen the remains of a camp fire that did not contain trash. The area surrounding the fire ring generally contains litter. From what I understand the primary reason for no fires is the concern that a forest fire could be started...
    One could say the same thing about shelters; I've never seen a shelter that did not contain trash, not to mention the rodents it attracts.

As for the fire prevention angle, is this a statewide ban of campers building fires, or just a statewide ban on the AT thru Connecticut?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    ...Fourth of all...Obey the rules, people. CT doesn't have the hundreds of thousands of square miles of back country that some states have. We need to preserve it, and if that's what needs to be done then I'm all for it.
    What does that have to do with a fire ban in Ct? DID YOU KNOW fires are made with dead trees. Maybe that's why you have a problem starting a fire.

Images

Default VIP abuse?

I hope the post above related to shelters is intended to encourage people to pick up after themselves.

Shelters don't attract rodents. Food smells, scraps and crumbs left behind by hikers draw them. Anyone who hikes off-season knows it's so. When the hikers are gone, they quickly move on to where they can find food to eat.

Images

Default Text of the campfire prohibition rule?

Can someone post the exact language of the rule or a readable image of the sign mentioned? A link to the land management agency's website where this rule is published would be a handy thing to have now and for future reference.

fire ban is state wide in Conn. the law was however modified to allow campfires at devoloped campgrounds both public and private. the AT does not fall under the exception

Images

Ct is nice and all but no campfires? thats stupid.Me and my friends have campfires all the time noone bothers us
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

Default Splendid!

An AMC member who undermines the efforts of AMC-Connecticut Chapter is just what WhiteBlaze needs. It's bad enough you disregard the prohibition, but you want to post telling everyone about it too!

What do you think the effect of your actions will be imagining for a moment we have a significant number of people following this thread? The potential audience is everyone in the world!

Images

Me and my buddies have permits to have a fire pit in his back yard
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

When it come's to non-permited on the trails NO i do not Make or condone Fire's or Fire pits i will take them apart,But like i said Me and my Buddies have Permits to BUrn for our Yards Due to our Towns Fire Dept.Thank you-
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++