WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail Magic

Images

Default Trail Magic

Having section hiked from New Jersey to Katahdin over the past several years, I really enjoyed the good will of people along the way. Trail angels and trail magic always helped to make the hike more memorable.

That being said, this year, I'd like to pay that forward and plan on setting up a small hiker feed in Southern Vermont for a day in August . I'm looking for any advice that other who have done this could give me about what to serve, good locations in Southern Vermont, how many people to expect, etc. Anything that you think might be helpful.
    Thanks, Eureka.

IMG_0383.JPGIMG_0401.JPG
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08
    NH- 09,10,11 -(finally finished!)
    Maine- 12, 13,14 - (50 miles to go)
    Maine- 15 - 100 mile Wilderness to Katahdin
    New Jersey, New York- 2017

do it at a road crossing - not on the trail itself

police the garbage not only at the feed but up and down the trail, make damm sure that your feed leaves no trace

have fun any food/drink would be welcome

This is the wrong place to ask about it. You are gonna get blasted by those who see trail magic as a bad thing. This group that will blast you are are the dayhikers car campers who are quite numerous on this web page. The thru-hikers will thank you

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    This is the wrong place to ask about it. You are gonna get blasted by those who see trail magic as a bad thing. This group that will blast you are are the dayhikers car campers who are quite numerous on this web page. The thru-hikers will thank you
    ...and this comment strengthens your position how?

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    i'm a thru-hiker and not a fan of big, organized feeds

Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    do it at a road crossing - not on the trail itself

police the garbage not only at the feed but up and down the trail, make damm sure that your feed leaves no trace

have fun any food/drink would be welcome
    I'm a trail maintainer as well on the NET and I'm as concerned about trash on the trails as you are.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    I'm a trail maintainer as well on the NET and I'm as concerned about trash on the trails as you are.
    then as i said have fun, the crossing at rt 9 looks like a possible spot, big parking lot, restroom...

Images

I never thought of any hikers not liking something to eat besides Ramon noodles and power bars but I guess they can just hike on by if they don't like it.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    I'd like to pay that forward and plan on setting up a small hiker feed in Southern Vermont for a day in August . I'm looking for any advice that other who have done this could give me about what to serve, good locations in Southern Vermont, how many people to expect, etc. Anything that you think might be helpful.

As you have already seen by some of the previous comments, you just opened a can of worms. Personally, I like trail magic, but my opinion of whether it is good or not is in flux due to the response to a thread I started last year. Take a look at the thread (link below) to see why.

"
    ATC Says Trail Magic is Bad for the Trail"
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

How about small, unexpected trail magic?
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

Images

Haha, I know! But I sure enjoyed the soda on the trail in Dalton, MA, or the cookie lady or the guy in Vermont giving out ice cream (I heard he passed away last year) I'll do it for the people that will appreciate it.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

I'd pick a less traveled road crossing then RT-9. Don't advertise, just set up someplace, but figuring out exactly where could be tricky. If your too close to a shelter, those who were there in the morning will have gone past before lunch and you might be too far away for those coming from the next shelter south.

Hot dogs, chips and cheap soda is a common fare.

I've come across people waiting on the side of the road for a hiker to come by and end up being the only one they've seen all day. Even though I know I can't waste time with them, it's hard to say thanks but no thanks and push on. They so want to feed you something it seems rude not to accept anything.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Small, unexpected, and unmanned trail magic is the best. I've had weird experiences walking out into a setup where the person is standing there. They are clearly angling for thanks, and epic war stories, when often all you want to do is eat a free snickers and drink a free beer in peace.

I found a cooler of waterbottles and cupcakes about a mile from a trailhead once. It was awesome.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Small, unexpected, and unmanned trail magic is the best. I've had weird experiences walking out into a setup where the person is standing there. They are clearly angling for thanks, and epic war stories, when often all you want to do is eat a free snickers and drink a free beer in peace.

I found a cooler of waterbottles and cupcakes about a mile from a trailhead once. It was awesome.
    Yes, that was my original thought, just have some quick things they can have and be on their way. I was thinking of setting up a few miles North of a shelter but not is a busy area. I understand your "unmanned" statement. It lets you enjoy in peace.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

I set up a cooler right next to the trail. No sign. Some people walked by it. Some people stopped and participated in the contents of the cooler and friendly conversation. No pressure and no worries if you don’t stop. Anything more seems awkward.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I set up a cooler right next to the trail. No sign. Some people walked by it. Some people stopped and participated in the contents of the cooler and friendly conversation. No pressure and no worries if you don’t stop. Anything more seems awkward.
    I like that idea. I'll probably do something along those lines. Thanks for the input.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08

never leave food/drinks unattended

I thought about leaving a cooler for hikers when I finished my thru. As time passed, I realized I would have liked less hiker feeds and coolers during my trip. I decided against it in lieu of providing trail maintenance or support. It was pretty easy to get town food at least every other day from the Hudson River until the Maine border.

I said thank you the one time someone was leaving as I arrived but didn’t feel like holding court since I still had 500 miles to go. Funny they left it in a plastic grocery bag on a branch and seemed more worried about what hikers liked as opposed to whether anyone was going to carry out the trash.

A sign pointing to some cold beers/sodas in the river is cool too. Trail Magic on, I think it's great and brightens up people's days.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    never leave food/drinks unattended
    Definitely best practice to tend to whatever you put out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++