WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I need a new hammock

Ive been using a hammock system for years now when I solo hike. I have owned the Warbonnet Blackbird Dream Darien UL

The Darien UL failed on night one of a Smokies BMT hike (after about 250 miles on the AT earlier that year)

I still own and love the Blackbird

However the blackbird has become a little too much hammock for me. I loved the Darien UL for this reason, simple and lightweight. Until it failed.

I have a long section hike coming up and Id like to get a new hammock for the trip. Im looking at the Dutchware chameleon or another Dream Darien. The Dream hammock looks like it would be cheaper and lighter. But Im hesitant to buy from Dream after my first failed (although I loved the hammock).

Does anyone know of any other companies with comparable products I may have not noticed?

Can anyone justify the price and weight difference of Dutch's chameleon?

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Look at the Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. Even though it is not listed he can probably make you one out of the new Robic 1.2 fabric. Combine that with the nano-see-um net and you would have the whole thing easily under a pound.
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/331

Was your Darien made from Robic 1.0?
    That fabric was discontinued. While the failure rate was low... they did occasionally just blow up. I finally had one of my testers have it happen to them recently.
    I wouldn't hold Dream Hammock responsible for it as it happened to all of us as a result of using that fabric.

If it failed for some other reason- I have a hard time believing Randy wouldn't help you out or work with you if it was an issue on his end.

The fabric that came out to replace the Robic 1.0 is a Hybrid Robic 1.2 XL. It is pretty awesome and I would strongly consider another Darien made from that.

I don't like GE hammocks and I like that fabric.

If you know your lay direction... I can't think of any reason to get a chameleon really. I'm sure others would disagree but for backpacking I think you're better off with the product you already like.

Talk to Randy... it's also possible you had the wrong fabric for your weight. I know that was an issue overall with people buying UL hammocks that shouldn't have used them. (like 300 pound guys in 1.0 fabric)

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Look at the Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. Even though it is not listed he can probably make you one out of the new Robic 1.2 fabric. Combine that with the nano-see-um net and you would have the whole thing easily under a pound.
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/331

Under a lb with bugnetting is awesome. Ill look into it! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Was your Darien made from Robic 1.0?
    That fabric was discontinued. While the failure rate was low... they did occasionally just blow up. I finally had one of my testers have it happen to them recently.
    I wouldn't hold Dream Hammock responsible for it as it happened to all of us as a result of using that fabric.

If it failed for some other reason- I have a hard time believing Randy wouldn't help you out or work with you if it was an issue on his end.

The fabric that came out to replace the Robic 1.0 is a Hybrid Robic 1.2 XL. It is pretty awesome and I would strongly consider another Darien made from that.

I don't like GE hammocks and I like that fabric.

If you know your lay direction... I can't think of any reason to get a chameleon really. I'm sure others would disagree but for backpacking I think you're better off with the product you already like.

Talk to Randy... it's also possible you had the wrong fabric for your weight. I know that was an issue overall with people buying UL hammocks that shouldn't have used them. (like 300 pound guys in 1.0 fabric)

Yes, it was the camo robic 1.0. I weight 155 lbs wet

I understand it was the fabric and not necessarily the craftsmanship, but they still choose to use that fabric for their product....anyhow, it doesnt really matter at this point. It did ruin a hike for me though..

Why do you like the robic 1.2 xl so much? I was intrigued when I saw it..

As for lay direction, I move around enough to where it doesnt really matter.

I really did enjoy the Dream Darien. But whos to say the robic 1.2 wont do the same thing?

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Under a lb with bugnetting is awesome. Ill look into it! Thanks
    Yeah, I just sold one earlier today that was Robic 1.0 with .9oz no-see-um that weighed 14.3oz in the stuff sack.

I was also thinking about getting the Warbonnet Traveler and getting some bug netting. Seems lightweight and modular...

Yes, it was the camo robic 1.0. I weight 155 lbs wet

I understand it was the fabric and not necessarily the craftsmanship, but they still choose to use that fabric for their product....anyhow, it doesnt really matter at this point. It did ruin a hike for me though..

Why do you like the robic 1.2 xl so much? I was intrigued when I saw it..

As for lay direction, I move around enough to where it doesnt really matter.

I really did enjoy the Dream Darien. But whos to say the robic 1.2 wont do the same thing?
    If someone is to blame- it's Ripstop By the Roll. But you won't hear me complaining much... Kyle tries lots of stuff, and things did seem good with that product (Robic 1.0).
    So RBTR had a hot new fabric that people wanted, so Randy started making them. The failures were 1% and for no apparent reason. Mill had problem with the Robic? Bad batch of yarn? hard to say.
    I built quite a few (30-40) and had one fail- also with a relatively light customer (165lbs). I built bridges, GE's and even my micro bridge. It seemed to be a totally random thing that popped up in the middle of a roll.

Overall the failure rate was quite low... but if you're the 1 in 100 I can understand the complaint. Especially on a backpacking trip.

To Randy's credit, even with such a small rate of failure he pulled the option from his site and ate the fabric he had bought. Guessing he cleaned things up for some folks too.

The Hybrid- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1804909

I mainly build bridges- they put way different stresses on fabrics.
    BY FAR the best bridge fabric I have used is the Hybrid line (1.7... just getting into the 1.2).
    So I like it best for that, but it makes a very nice gathered end too. It is truly a unique fabric.

If you already know you like the Darien... I would go again with the 1.2 Hybrid.
    If you want to try something new- lots of people say great things about Jared at Simply light. He does a cat cut hammock which some love, some don't.

At your weight- I think you'd find the Hybrid 1.7 too stiff, that's why I recommend the 1.2.

I was also thinking about getting the Warbonnet Traveler and getting some bug netting. Seems lightweight and modular...
    If you want to save weight... the headnet you are already carrying is lighter than the bug net on the hammock

Probably not an option in your neck of the woods, but here it's really only buggy for a bit so I like my nets detachable.
    I tend to camp 3 seasons (summer being the time I'm not out) so most of my stuff I do netless.

I have a couple of the Hybrid 1.2xl GE's I made up left if you want a netless. They are 11' long x roll width.
    I think I have 4 colors left. Come with a bag, ARL, continuous loops.
    If I remember right- $60 shipped would do it.

When I get new fabric I like to sew GE's first with it to get a feel for it before I go into bridges.
    If you want one shoot me an email- [email protected]

If you want to save weight... the headnet you are already carrying is lighter than the bug net on the hammock

Probably not an option in your neck of the woods, but here it's really only buggy for a bit so I like my nets detachable.
    I tend to camp 3 seasons (summer being the time I'm not out) so most of my stuff I do netless.

I have a couple of the Hybrid 1.2xl GE's I made up left if you want a netless. They are 11' long x roll width.
    I think I have 4 colors left. Come with a bag, ARL, continuous loops.
    If I remember right- $60 shipped would do it.

When I get new fabric I like to sew GE's first with it to get a feel for it before I go into bridges.
    If you want one shoot me an email- [email protected]

Right on. Expect to hear from me!

I like the bug netting on because I feel like it helps keep my quilt and stuff in the hammock.

Maybe the netless hammock I tried using was just too narrow.

I really like my Wilderness Logics Snipe. I'm roughly the same weight as you and I trust the integrity of the hammock, its rated to ~225 lbs. Weighs 14oz
    Although, it does not come with an integrated bugnet if that's a requirement for ya.

Are you part of hammock forums? If not, I would suggest it. They have a thread all about the chameleon. Reach out to DH and discuss your hammock concerns. Hopefully I helped :-)

I can say that my DIY Robic 1.7 GE is my go-to hammock. My indoors hammock is 11 x 62". I like this fabric so much I just (98%) finished making a chameleon clone with it (11' x 60"). I have one of Just Bill's SL Lux bridges in 1.7 as well. What can I say, I'm a fan.

I also made a Robic 1.2 GE that's 11' x 60". Due to multiple physical ailments, it's the only UL fabric that I can sleep in for more than two consecutive nights. In fact, I've slept in it for an entire week without issue. I'm 5'4" and about 150+ (wt not age). I'm definitely going to make a chameleon clone with this fabric. I'm dyin' for Bill to make some 1.2 medium bridges.

Oh yeah, my 1.2 is 8oz with a zing-it rl and 7/64 CL's. I made an oversized bishop bag out of the drop, but I haven't weighed it yet.

What can you tell me about the lux bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded_Shrek View Post
    Are you part of hammock forums? If not, I would suggest it. They have a thread all about the chameleon. Reach out to DH and discuss your hammock concerns. Hopefully I helped :-)

Yes I am familiar with hammock forums. I bet they do have a thread about the chameleon. Sometimes theres too much detail going on over there. I like to keep it simple

What can you tell me about the lux bridge?
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Bridge-update

Here's the last thread with most of the info.
    Here's a link to a folder with several pictures- https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg4tUiQQ-mi9wtMxgFQ

Basically though: Bridges are floating cots. They tend to be the heaviest and most complicated of the hammock models; mine even more so. As a result they are expensive.
    I built bridges mainly as a hobby for myself and most of them are UL. I do make the lightest bridge hammock in the world (micro bridge) but that one isn't really for sale. It's SUL gear, fairly specialized and not really ready for the masses so to speak.

I tell folks:
    If you're happy on the ground- stay there.
    If you're happy with a gathered end- stick with it.
    If you are average size and weight- a Ridgerunner from Warbonnet is a nice bridge, relatively cheap, and has all the kinks worked out and tons of aftermarket quilts, etc. to go with it.

If all else fails- then talk to me.
    I don't mind a GE hammock personally for a bout a weekend. But that's about my limit. And GE's don't work with pads very well, which is a requirement for me on longer trips. So I was never satisfied with gathered end hammocks as a backpacking system. And it seemed that many shifted into longer and wider (and heavier) hammocks... so a 9 or 10 ounce micro bridge for example... well that is pretty competitive.
    And if you're talking some of these double layer 11' XL hammocks... well a one pound bridge is sounding pretty good too.

The Big Guy and Luxury bridge models started out as a 'person and a half' bridge for my son and I to use backpacking. It was also intended/built around an Exped Hyperlight Duo pad.

A standard bridge hammock like the Ridgerunner has a weight rating of around 225lbs, though it was recently bumped up to 250lbs.
    There are lots of bigger folks who cannot use a bridge and the fella that tried making them busted out a year or two ago. So I was asked if I could come up with one for bigger guys to use.

The Big Boy Bridge was the result and has held users up to 375lbs and 6'6" in height. While not light, at 2lbs 4 ounces it's reasonable for what it is.
    The Luxury Bridge is the single layer (roughly 250lbs rated) version for those looking for more room and comfort. With Carbon Poles these are 21 ounces... getting there but not quite IMO.

I also produce a medium bridge and my micro bridge.

The next plan is to explore what I've learned and come up with something in between the micro and the Luxury bridge. Ideally with a trail weight around a pound but in a decent size. I may even try working with Roto Locura to develop a bridge specific set of trekking poles to further reduce this package down.

So... long story short- I haven't yet developed the backpacking system I'm shooting for.
    The Big Guy and Luxury Models are certainly trail worthy options for those who don't mind a pound or so in favor of comfort. And it has been very rewarding helping people get back out and get a good nights sleep. Some testers are sleeping in these full time, some have lost weight, but the biggest thing of all... are the customers who were starting to skip trips for lack of sleep and are back in the woods. Truly rewarding.

But I feel like I can do better for the average sized backpacker. The micro is too small for most... it's impressive on the scale and in design... but too much of a compromise I think for most. Something a bit bigger and a bit more robust might be around 12 oz with trekking poles, or a pound without them. That's something I'm excited about putting together.

Came across a folder of pics looking for something else...
    Suppose no harm in sharing it- https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwgvMVcQ_BWQyBxS2a0A

Here's some photos of the original micro (brown one with brown tarp).
    And the current 10.2 ounce version that's a bit more user friendly. (black)

It's basically just big enough for a large neo-air and works best as a side sleeper.

As noted, the Trail Lair is plenty dope and I personally wouldn't worry about fabric failure. I'm 175 and have had no trouble with Simply Light Designs Robic 1.0 Streamliner. I use a fronkey style dutch net when I have to. When you are using an ultralight fabric like Robic 1.0 or any ultralight equipment one must expect less robustness. It's just part of the game.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Bridge-update
    But I feel like I can do better for the average sized backpacker. The micro is too small for most... it's impressive on the scale and in design... but too much of a compromise I think for most. Something a bit bigger and a bit more robust might be around 12 oz with trekking poles, or a pound without them. That's something I'm excited about putting together.
    I've been watching in the wings on this one, I see you mention it every now any then here or on HF. I look forward to when you have them readily available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++