WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Im the one that will need new jets...

Still not really much more snow than "average" so I think its still a big question mark and too early to know anything. Maybe im just kidding myself though!

I see mixed reports as to when this storm will be done. Soon?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Im the one that will need new jets...

Still not really much more snow than "average" so I think its still a big question mark and too early to know anything. Maybe im just kidding myself though!

I see mixed reports as to when this storm will be done. Soon?
    Relax Archie. Worst case, you snowshoe it just a tiny bit. Remember, you can borrow a pair of mine. Still think you'll be fine, these spring storms are common.

Thanks Colorado Rob. I realize this snow is perfectly normal and I am not truly worried at all. It is just so far away but yet so close and I have nothing left to do but stare at the weather reports. And besides, its fun to talk about. There is only a few more inches at Fremont now than last year on May2.

Maybe I should find something else to dwell on until this gets closer!

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

Ponder this, on average the Fremont Pass SNOTEL site reaches its deepest snow level on May 8th. Ron ��

Melt baby, melt!

I am ready for snow if I should run into it. I am leaving June 18 from Waterton or Roxborough. I have a plane ticket and I tentatively have a ride from DIA to either TH lined up. All that remains is the agonizing wait!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me gather info for this trip. Especially Colorado Rob and San Juan Ron.

WB is the best!

My apologies for not including bear creek by name in my previous post. Your willingness to share advice and information has been paramount in getting my trip together.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Melt baby, melt!

I am ready for snow if I should run into it. I am leaving June 18 from Waterton or Roxborough. I have a plane ticket and I tentatively have a ride from DIA to either TH lined up. All that remains is the agonizing wait!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me gather info for this trip. Especially Colorado Rob and San Juan Ron.

WB is the best!
    Yesterday, Fremont Pass was at 63" and slightly above average. You will certainly encounter some deep snow when you get to Segments 6-8 (maybe June 23 or so when you get to Segment 6). As long as you are prepared and plan for it, you should be able to get through it but it might be a slower trek than you have planned. Your biggest challenge will be the north face up to Elk Ridge and the snow and snow bridges between Searle & Kokomo. Ron

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Best post I've seen for snow conditions as far as statistics go:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041...6232493398101/
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

What specific areas in sect 6, before Breck, are problematic? If I want to pick up some gear will I likely need it earlier than Breck? I can send my snowshoes, boots, gaiters, ice axe micro spikes or crampons as needed. I suspect all I need will be snowshoes and gaiters, is this wrong? Will I need additional navigation to follow the trail through this section? I will have databook, guthook and a button compass. I could bring more functional maps and compass if navigation is likely to be a challenge.

From Searle up to Elk Ridge and on to Kokomo is around 4 miles. Should I plan for deep snow on this entire section? How technical and what kind of exposure to falls will I be encountering? Any advice on how to best prepare for or get around these problematic sections?

I am comfortable with snow travel, I just want as much information and advice as possible.

Thanks

Georgia Pass, in Segment 6 - mile 84, will likely be the first place where you may encounter snow. If it is deep up there, then you can expect some snow in a cornice on the 10 mile range (mile 112) and a steep hillside traverse on snow at Elk Ridge by Kokomo Pass. (Mile 130). IMO you are leaving late enough that there is a good chance that snow will not be a huge issue. I would take some tall gaiters and extra socks, and just plan on postholing some. Unless there is a lot of continuous snow, which would be unusual, snowshoes are a big hassle. The only dangerous spot could be at Elk Ridge, where there is a steep, exposed spot just before Kokymo Pass. If it looks sketchy there, back up a few hundred feet and go up on the ridge and you can walk around it.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Excellent info bearcreek, thanks for that advice.

Just hiked the first 5 segments of the Colorado Trail. Just wanted to let everyone know what conditions look like so far.

Segments 1 through 3 are totally clear. Segment 4 had snow as deep as 4 feet in places. Melting fast though.

Segment 5 had up to 2 feet of snow in the LCW but passable.

From what we could see of Segment 6, Georgia pass is still under heavy snow.
    Here's an image of Georgia Pass right now (That's Kenosha Pass in the foreground):

P5151578.JPG

Also here is a video I made of my hike:

Good video first hand information thank you

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed it!

Hello all,
    Just wondering how conditions look for starting on June 15. Do you think there will be too much snow? Also, would it be better starting from Denver or Durango?

Better to start in Denver (if you start from Durango you will be at high elevations almost immediately. The Denver start will give you close to a week before you hit the high elevation snow segments in the north (Segments 6-8). There will definitely still be lots of snow at Georgia Pass (Segment 6), Tenmile Range crest north face (Segment 7), and the Searle/Kokomo Pass area in Segment 7. Ideally, you would start a week later -- but, if you can't, be prepared for the snow in those areas and plan on slowing down. If you can do the snow areas before noon, that will help with the postholing. I would also bring gaiters to keep below your knees somewhat dry. Once you get through Segment 8, you should be okay. Ron

Searle/Kokomo is Segment 8 -- typo above. Ron 😎

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. Really good to know. Melt, melt, melt!

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Ron View Post
    Searle/Kokomo is Segment 8 -- typo above. Ron 😎

Just watched this video - Awesome! When are you starting segment 6?

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    Just hiked the first 5 segments of the Colorado Trail. Just wanted to let everyone know what conditions look like so far.

Segments 1 through 3 are totally clear. Segment 4 had snow as deep as 4 feet in places. Melting fast though.

Segment 5 had up to 2 feet of snow in the LCW but passable.

From what we could see of Segment 6, Georgia pass is still under heavy snow.
    Here's an image of Georgia Pass right now (That's Kenosha Pass in the foreground):

P5151578.JPG

Also here is a video I made of my hike:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++